PDA

View Full Version : help -sod cutter or bobcat

YARDWORKSpinellas
03-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I have to rip out 10,000 sq ft of old st augustine grass should i use a sod cutter or a bobcat? i have always used a sod cutter but never a bobcat to remove sod will a bobcat scrape up to much dirt if you have had first hand experience removing sod with a bobcat please let me know how well it works.

thanks . ken

coastallandscapesolutions
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Bobcat with a Harley Rack or Bobcat soil conditioner. One pass run. This is a picture of one that I am doing right now. Bahaya grass, rocks, bricks and gravel. What you see here already done took me 30 minutes.

03-10-2005, 04:40 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34012&stc=1

snap12.5
03-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Coastal greens - nice pics. there is a lot of talk about harley rakes and similar equipment. doesnt a harley rake just break up the soil or does it screen out rocks as well??? and whats the difference between a rock grinder and a harley rake???

newbomb
03-13-2005, 06:00 PM
The bobcat with a toothed bucket will remove sod as nicely as you please. It may take you a few minutes to get the angle on the bucket right though. If you get it just right you should be able to skim off the sod and a half inch of top soil easily.

If you use a harley rake remember a couple things. Make sure you get a bucket with it (if you rent one) and most improtantly remember this: A harley rake is basically a spinning drum with tines on it. It is very effective as the photos show. It is very powerful and will throw rocks and debris a long way at high speed. You have to be absolutely sure of where the rake is pointed (they pivot like a snow plow) and could easily do serious damage to a building or vehicle. Also, allow no one around while your operating the machine. Seriously, a rock thrown from a harley rake could kill someone easily.

My company rents bobcats and attachments every day. I tell every customer that I deliver to the same thing I just told you. Most of all be careful with a harley rake.

03-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Coastal greens - nice pics. there is a lot of talk about harley rakes and similar equipment. doesnt a harley rake just break up the soil or does it screen out rocks as well??? and whats the difference between a rock grinder and a harley rake???

Mine is actually the Bobcat Soil Conditioner which is the sale as a Harley except that Bobcat is Hydro drive -vs- chain drive of the Harley. It will push rocks out in front. Not sure what you are referring to about a Rock Grinder.

rodfather
03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Good pictures Brian.

all ferris
03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I have had better luck with the soil conditioner than the bucket. However, I have never encountered St Augustine's. We have mostly fescue and bluegrass around here. If the bobcat has an attachment control you can change the rotating direction of the soil conditioner. Doing this would allow you to go back wards with the bobcat and all the rocks and debris will be flung toward the bobcat. This is nice to be able to do this next to obstacles because you won't throw rocks and dirt all over the obstacle.

03-14-2005, 09:12 AM
I have had better luck with the soil conditioner than the bucket. However, I have never encountered St Augustine's. We have mostly fescue and bluegrass around here. If the bobcat has an attachment control you can change the rotating direction of the soil conditioner. Doing this would allow you to go back wards with the bobcat and all the rocks and debris will be flung toward the bobcat. This is nice to be able to do this next to obstacles because you won't throw rocks and dirt all over the obstacle.

With Bobcat you can control the direction the drum is spinning thus working forward or backward. You can also angle the drum 40 degrees to the right or left from inside the cab.

03-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Good pictures Brian.

Thanks Rod..... remember..... solo (LOL) :p

Gilla Gorilla
03-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Here is a picture of what my Toro Dingo Cultivator attachment did on Saturday.
It is basically four pieces in one attachment. Tiller at the back then 31 straight tines just in front of the tiller next is a flat plate that pushes the debris like rocks and roots down into the loose soil then is a expanded metal 10" round drum that breaks up all of the dirt clods. Is started out using the whole attachment but after two passes on the pretty wet ground the drum got caked with very wet mud. So I took the drum and plate attachment off of the front side and just ran the tiller and tine attachment the rest of the way and that worked great. This is at my mother-in-laws house and we are going to try our hands at a small garden this year and since this land was farmed up until about 1977 the soil looks like it is pretty decent. I am going to go back in a couple days to till it one more time once it dries out some more.