PDA

View Full Version : Do you respect You Local Pooper Scooper ?

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.pooper-scooper.com/archiv75.htm

hulan2
03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
;) WOW! :p

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I was the resident pooper scooper in my family when I was younger. We had 2 doberman pinschers. It was my job from age 10 to age 21 to cut the grass at my parents house, which was always preceeded by picking up the dog poop. I hated it then, and I hate it now. I couldn't pick up sh!t for a living, no matter how much it pays.

PLM-1
03-10-2005, 06:20 PM
And they think we're bitchers!

Eddie B
03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I still prefer lawncare over poop-scoopin, for the simple fact that I can look at a lawn and say "wow, look at that nicely cut lawn". If I clean the poop, i'm not gonna stand there and say "wow, look at that poopless lawn".

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I still prefer lawncare over poop-scoopin, for the simple fact that I can look at a lawn and say "wow, look at that nicely cut lawn". If I clean the poop, i'm not gonna stand there and say "wow, look at that poopless lawn".
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You should be proud of the poop you scoop.

Carolina Cutter
03-10-2005, 06:48 PM
super pooper scooper.....ah hell here we go again..... ;) ;) ;) ;)

NelsonLandworks
03-10-2005, 07:02 PM
so how much do they really go running to the bank with?

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
A sh!tload of money :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eddie B
03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm reading some of the company names and slogans on the poop site...

company names:
Doggie Poo Pick-Up LLC
HAPPY SCOOPERS DOG WASTE REMOVAL SERVICE
Yard Guards on Doody
DoGPiLE Patrol Poop Scoop'n Service
Scoop De Doo
Scoop da Poo, LLC
DOOTY-FREE LAWNS
Dog-Gone-It Pooper Scooper Service
Pooper Troopers

slogans:
YOUR YARD MAY BE FULL OF IT BUT WE'RE NOT!!
PROFESSIONAL SCOOPERS OF DOG POOPERS
WE SCOOP UP DOGGY-DOO FOR YOU
Are you in deep doo-doo? Help is only a phone call away!
We take CRAP….Seriously!!!
Got Poop? We love to Scoop!

Interesting stuff.

gqnine44
03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I have toyed in the "poop biz" and know it can be really profitable. We offer it as a service to our customers now and have sketchy plans to expand in the future. We charge around 12-20 bucks a lawn. Just think if you had 100 customers @ 52 weeks a year. payup

BMFD92
A sh!tload of money :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THATS HILARIOUS! those guys seem so uptight

Mo Green
ROTFLMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

captken
03-10-2005, 07:32 PM
We all know how really good Casey is at stirring up s**t on this site. Not to be satisfied with his mayhem here, he is starting to range a bit! I like Melinda's, [aka a "turdologist"] reasoning as to her profession.
Sounds like she has found serenity in doooing her job. :)

I feel that Casey's intentions were not sincere in his offer to them and that his motivation lies in creating havoc, still I kinda like the guy. I sit back and see his posts, [he is probably very intelligent] [notice that probably does not mean 100%], and laugh when you guys take the bait.

captken
03-10-2005, 07:46 PM
pooper picker uppers.....There is a guy who works in of my high end residential areas that gave me his card last year.
The name of his company is "ON Doody". He charges $10.50 weekly for one dog. $2.50 for each additional dogs....good grief, what if they have 4 or 5 large breeds, thats a whole lot of kibbles and bits on the ground!

The people here can afford it. There is also a company that has chauffeur driven shuttle buses for their "Dogs Rule" doggie daycare center. Pick up in morning, back home before 4pm.

Scottish LScape
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I know the guy that owns Doggie Doo Not in CT. He make some really good payup . In the right area it's a great business!

Watkinslawnservice
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Do the Pooper Scoopers have to take the poop with them or do they put it in the customers trash? Maybe its not a bad thing to add to current customers only. A little extra $$$ per customer never hurt anyone.

Dave

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
This Scooper's Response is just inane.....

"THOSE PEOPLE, IN THEIR PROFESSION, HAVE ALOT OF OVERHEAD. I HAVE ALREADY CRUNCHED THE NUMBERS AND TIME SCENARIO WITH THEM DOING OUR LINE OF WORK, AND I HAVE FOUND THAT LAWN SPEWS, I MEAN CREWS WILL ACTUALLY LOSE ON REVENUE IF THEY TRY TO COMPOUND THEIR SERVICE WITH OUR SERVICE. MY TEAM AND I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE DISHEARTENING EXPERIENCES OVER ALMOST 10 SEASONS NOW. WE LAUGH BACK AT THEM NOW THAT LAUGH AT US, ESPECIALLY ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. I ACTUALLY TELL THE LAUGHERS "IF YOU WANT A REAL JOB THAT PAYS REAL MONEY, THEN GIVE US A CALL",

Dude, You Pick up Dog Crap for a Living...When You Wake up in the Morning are You Motivated ?..."Oh Boy I'm Going to Pick up Dog Crap Today"

I Can see this if You are Running Crews...But these Solo Scoopers Scare Me.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
"Hi honey, how was your day?"....."Great dear, I picked up 400 piles of sh!t today. That's a new record. I feel so fulfilled and complete now!"....."I am so proud of you. You really make a difference in the world." :laugh:

mdmowerman
03-10-2005, 10:55 PM
hahaha

know most 'mow and blow' guys that cut the grass, usually agree that they are at the bottom of the list to get paid when a customer sits down to pay the bill....... if a lawncare provider is one of the last people to get paid, i mean LAST, hes gotta come in a distant dead freakin' last. wonder how many people blow that bill off a month. how intimidating would this guy be if he showed up at your doorstep to collect late payment like most of us end up doing. im sure hes got a lot of respect!

...or not

not trying to ruffle feathers..... was just thinking

captken
03-10-2005, 11:10 PM
They have the mind set of the dung beetle..... Can you picture a group of them getting together for a beer after a grueling day. I mean, what dooo they talk about? hmmm... "The Smiths musta fed Fluffy lunch meat yesterday, I mean when we got to the yard, there was this wrapper sticking outa his....."
Do they talk about doggy digestibles? Swap tips? Proper poop gathering technique, scooper camaraderie?

pic is of a Dung Beetles dream...when the big one hits...who knows, maybe they dooo have a conference they attend and discuss techniques.

chimmygew
03-10-2005, 11:13 PM
How's this??

They are cleaning the hershey highway...
or
Negotiating the release of the chocolate hostages... :p

captken
03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Unwinding after a particularly arduous day. Hoping for a technological breakthrough in their equipment.

This is all in good natured fun :angel:

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Here's the Bobby G. of Scoopers...Do You Charge Extra to Scoop if there are Leaves ?

ailsa adams
Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 05:10 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been scooping for 2 months now and the last few times the maple leaves have been all over the yards. my question is do the "old timers" make a note on the bill about this, or simply do the best they can do. I would hate to have the owners rake the leaves only to find a ton of hidden poop. it might make look like i've done a poor job, especially since i'm just beginning to get clientele. thanks ailsa

Red
Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 02:16 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We don't personalize each bill since there are multiple people / employees invilved in each step of the process but in the Fall we do try to put a note on, or in, a couple invoices of everyone (usually with another note or 2 about something else).

-Red
PS: We also mention this in our introductory brochure.

DoodyCalls
Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:55 am
"I would hate to have the owners rake the leaves only to find a ton of hidden poop. it might make look like i've done a poor job"

This happened to me over the weekend. First time I ever had a customer that was unhappy with my service.

I take the blame for this for not fully informing them about the leaf problem beforehand. I think the key to always remember is that expectations - on both ends - need to be carefully and actively managed.

Good Luck

Jacob

Pete
Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:50 pm
We make it clear that it is their responsibility to rake leaves (and cut grass). We do the best we can.

In the past 12,000 cleanings (more or less) we've given three credits for unhappy customers and re-cleaned twice. All were leaf related. As long as everybody understands, most people are very understanding about it. On those rare ocasions when they are not, we take care of our customers. On those EXTREMELY rare cases when someone takes advantage, we take care of them and note on their record. Repeated abuse of our quality policy could possibly result in us deciding the customer isn't worth the trouble. I can think of three in the past 10 years.

Madstriper
03-10-2005, 11:42 PM
OK, you have to admit, they have much better slogans and
company names than we do in this industry.
My dad has a Portajohn business, tried to get him to
run an ad "Come cop a squat in my portapot". He didnt,
stingy old fart. :p

poop masters
03-11-2005, 03:04 AM
You can find a lot of pooper scoopers on http://www.apaws.org :)

Soupy
03-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Pease DON'T come over to Lawnsite to advertize like was suggested, it will be remover as fast as possible. Some one did and it was removed in less than 2 minutes. If you want to advertize then you must pay a fee for the advertizing, that is what makes Lawnsite run.
I don't agree with the lawnsite person that told them they can't come here and network. Well he put it as advertising. They should be able to join like any member would and post in the network forum. Anything that can benefit the members is a good thing. It isn't like they have a product to sell us on lawnsite. They have a service that can be networked to benefit both parties. Pooping scooping could be something I offer as part of my law service. can I not network with guys in my area, just like some fert/weed companies do?

minesweepers
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
well,well,well the grass cutters are making fun of the pooperscoopers i see.(some anyway).i bet your happy when we come and theres no poop all over your equiptment though.It's gotta be a barrel of fun changing a scag blade after running over 50 or so nice warm steamers over the course of the day.
heres an idea ...
next time your edging with the line trimmer, jam the head deep into a nice fresh load of mushy puppy poop. personally i like the nice wet ones, but everyone has there preference
there isnt a joke you can think of we have'nt used already so dont bother we already used all the good ones
question ... how many of you guys just mow around it?
or complain to your clients that the yard is full of crap and you refuse to cut it because your tired of stepping in it?
in all reality we should be working together to get each other clients, that would make good business sense.
find your local scooper and i bet he knows alot of folks that need a new lawn guy or clients that dont have one at all.
actually i have done landscaping for about 9 years and i will never ever cut another lawn again (not even mine).
we get on average about 13 bucks a yard and each yard is done only by one person (not 3,4,5,6,or 10) our only expense is garbage bags and gas to get to the house, not to mention most of my yards i can get done in the same amount of time it takes the landscaper to get the blower started because it's flooded!!!
there are some companies servicing over ...(hold onto your straw hats boys)
1000 yards a week.
stop buy and say hi , we promise not to throw poop at you unless you deserve it...
nice talking to ya
:waving:

NelsonLandworks
03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
good to hear that people are doing well in that field.

I don't know about everyone else, but we pick up dog poo before we mow lawns, for a fee. So by picking up doo and charging, then mowing and charging more, it's one busniess with the income of two.

But still, I just don't see the thrill of scoring a huge account to pick up dog poo, but that's the reason I'm not in that buisniess.

Also-how do you go about cleaning it up in the winter? I myself own 6 dogs so we just wait until spring (it's like an easy easter egg hunt).

Soupy
03-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Daddy! Daddy! I woke up this morning and the easter bunny left me a bunch of chocolate eggs! They taste great, do you want one :D.

Wells
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Service work is big business......

whether it's lawn maintenance, scooping poop, detailing cars, power washing, painting, window cleaning, etc, etc, etc. There is good money to be made in just about any type of service work.

I currently have three service type businesses (each independent of each other) and I plan to add more in the future. As long as there is money to be made in service work I plan to capitolize on it.

Next winter when you are sitting in front on the computer asking the same old question "what can I do to make money during the winter" or "I'm bored and I'm going broke sitting around waiting for it to snow" think about starting another service oriented company that could pull you through the winter.

I've said it before that I treat my business like I do my stock portfolio. "Why have all my eggs in one basket". I'm trying to diversify my businesses. A major drought with hugh water restrictions would put 90% of the smaller LCO's out of business. DO YOU HAVE A BACKUP PLAN?

theweedman
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
they make a meatloaf.

Do the Pooper Scoopers have to take the poop with them or do they put it in the customers trash?

Dave

FL&G
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
"Hi honey, how was your day?"....."Great dear, I picked up 400 piles of sh!t today. That's a new record. I feel so fulfilled and complete now!"....."I am so proud of you. You really make a difference in the world." :laugh:
Now this is funny!!!!!!

FL&G
03-11-2005, 06:23 PM
My god what a bunch of whiners.

Fareway Lawncare
03-11-2005, 07:13 PM
minesweepers, Here's the Problem I have w/the Whole Sordid Business...& This Probably Applies to Solo Scoopers more than Scoopers Who Just Run Crews....Most of Us in the Green Industry Actually Enjoy their work...in Fact the Money is secondary to Owning Your Own Business & Having a Passion for the Work...

Now I can See Money & Freedom of Business Ownership in Scooping but How the Heck can You Possibly Have a Connection w/the actual labour ?

captken
03-11-2005, 10:27 PM
How can we make fun of and [at the same time] be critical of others? [putting them down] I can assure you and everyone else reading this, that this was not my intent in posting. I didn't mean to put anyone down.
I can assure you, that others in society look down upon us in the same way in which you are attempting to portray them... Are we any better? No. Are we any worse? No. We are equal. Some of us come from a background of having more and some come from having less. It is the struggle, witch here, in the United States, we call living the American Dream.....from these humble beginnings....[that can be picking up after Fido], in other words, you gotta dooo whatcha gotta doo. Where do you get your labor/labour? Money is the motivational factor. I can also assure you that if you told me 5 years ago that I would own a lawn service, I would have said your fu**ing nuts....period.
I do not feel superior to these guys at all. They know that they are the bunt of a lot of jokes, and they capitalize on it. I was just having fun...Do you think your s**t don't stink? I know that you are intelligent, but not superior. I don't know your motivation for inviting them here after your post, however I say Welcome Aboard.:blush:

captken
03-11-2005, 10:36 PM
How can we make fun of and [at the same time] be critical of others? [putting them down] I can assure you and everyone else reading this, that this was not my intent in posting. I didn't mean to put anyone down.
I can assure you, that others in society look down upon us in the same way in which you are attempting to portray them... Are we any better? No. Are we any worse? No. We are equal. Some of us come from a background of having more and some come from having less. It is the struggle, witch here, in the United States, we call living the American Dream.....from these humble beginnings....[that can be picking up after Fido], in other words, you gotta dooo whatcha gotta doo. Where do you get your labor/labour? Money is the motivational factor. I can also assure you that if you told me 5 years ago that I would own a lawn service, I would have said your fu**ing nuts....period.
I do not feel superior to these guys at all. They know that they are the bunt of a lot of jokes, and they capitalize on it. I was just having fun...Do you think your s**t don't stink? I know that you are intelligent, but not superior. I don't know your motivation for inviting them here after your post? However, I say Welcome Aboard.:blush:
Who knows....The brown indusry and the green industry...hmmmm those doggy piles dooo make the grass greener! :D

Fareway Lawncare
03-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm w/you Captken...Live and Let Live...That's My Motto...Besides they Have the Whole Sunglasses Issue to Deal With.

Earl Dionne
Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:29 pm
Just wanted to pass this tidbit on that I learned the hard way today. If you live in areas where there is snow, avoid wearing polarized sunglasses while scooping. Especially if there are only patches of snow mixed with patches of grass. It's actually quite difficult to see the poop with polarized glass, it blends right in with the color of the patches of dead grass.

Just my 2 cents worth of knowledge...

-Earl

mike zee (cache-rtc-aa08.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.100.12)
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 09:24 pm
It has been a policy of my company never to allow the wearing of any type of sunglasses on the lawn only!!! I could care less if they wear them in the car but you will loose lots of customers and money from sunglasses of any kind!

Al from Canada (tor58-19b-203-236.dialup.sprint-canada.net - 149.99.203.236)
Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 12:30 am
I agree, Mike! Makes you look too much like a surfer dude who is poop scoopin' to make some $$$ for Spring Break in Daytona...

I wear shades while driving (cuts down on headaches), but rely on a ball-cap to shade my eyes while scooping (though I'd love to wear something like glasses... maybe, I can get glasses that look like eyeglasses, but are just straight glass and are those self-tinting sunglasses, 'cause who'd complain about a guy who needs to wear glasses? Just look at Drew carey!)

Patrick.B
03-12-2005, 01:00 AM
MO Green ...LMAO !!!!

Patrick.B
03-12-2005, 01:01 AM
MO Green LMAO !!!

Precision
03-12-2005, 01:27 AM
I think the bigger question is does anyone respect FAREWAY?

Turf Dancer
03-12-2005, 03:52 AM
I met a lady at one of the local home and garden shows that was in the poop scooping business and she is doing pretty good $$$ she is not even full scheduled and she is profiting better than most of the lawn guys around that are solos. She has very low overhead; disinfectant, bags and gloves. She charges $10 a week for the first dog and $5 for each additional. Takes her about 10 minutes per stop and she has a couple places where she does like 4 to 5 houses on the block. some have more than one dog. I think it is a smart business move on her part, getting in to a new business with little competition.

old dog
03-12-2005, 04:13 AM
minesweepers, Here's the Problem I have w/the Whole Sordid Business...& This Probably Applies to Solo Scoopers more than Scoopers Who Just Run Crews....Most of Us in the Green Industry Actually Enjoy their work...in Fact the Money is secondary to Owning Your Own Business & Having a Passion for the Work...

Now I can See Money & Freedom of Business Ownership in Scooping but How the Heck can You Possibly Have a Connection w/the actual labour ?
Have you never labored to make poop of your own???????
Man,by now you must be full of it!

Scoop da Poo
03-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I met a lady at one of the local home and garden shows that was in the poop scooping business and she is doing pretty good $$$ she is not even full scheduled and she is profiting better than most of the lawn guys around that are solos. She has very low overhead; disinfectant, bags and gloves. She charges $10 a week for the first dog and $5 for each additional. Takes her about 10 minutes per stop and she has a couple places where she does like 4 to 5 houses on the block. some have more than one dog. I think it is a smart business move on her part, getting in to a new business with little competition.

It is an aboslutely outstanding move. I was the first one in my area to get into the scooping biz. The profits are unbelievable. Overhead is very low. I have just over 40 clients in 14 months.

I am already able to support myself on the income, and I ony work 16 hours a week. I will easily be ably to handle 140-150 clients on my own, and still work around 50 hours a week, especially as the accounts get closer together. I will be billing close to 10K a month, and expenses will be in the $1,200- $1,300 range. payup

Customer referral in this biz is great too. I got my last 5 customers from word of mouth. You lawn guys may think what we do is a joke, but our customers DAMN sure appreciate what we do. And they tell us all the time.

Oh yeah... did I mention that I have two lawn service companies that get accounts for me? The lawn pro's bill the customer, and I bill them. It's a win-win situation for everyone. :)

NelsonLandworks
03-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah... did I mention that I have two lawn service companies that get accounts for me? The lawn pro's bill the customer, and I bill them. It's a win-win situation for everyone. :)

thats a good setup you've got going.

Do you always take the pooh away or can you just toss it in the woods for a lower cost?

And what do you do in the winter?

captken
03-12-2005, 11:15 PM
environmental concerns....we know what happens to human waste...Interesting. Maybe there is a loop hole that allows for the disposal of canine feces that is less regulated.....is "Big Brother" reading this?

old dog
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
For that kind of money,rent a job johnny,dipose in there,have it removed for you.
Or out a toilet in the garage and flush til you drop.

lawnman_scott
03-12-2005, 11:28 PM
thats a good setup you've got going.

Do you always take the pooh away or can you just toss it in the woods for a lower cost?

And what do you do in the winter?He probably starves, not being able to get to the doggy poop under the many feet of snow that comes with each dreaded south florida winter.

AL Inc
03-12-2005, 11:32 PM
One of my neighbors used to have that service. I would watch the guy, he would pull up in a small pick-up, be on the property for no more than 2-3 minutes, drop the poop in a bag, which went right into the customers garbage. Low overhead and no disposal costs. There are definitely worse businesses, profit wise, to be in. I agree with Scoop the Poo (come on, you've got to chuckle a little...) it is a good idea to network with these guys.

Fareway Lawncare
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Lets See...The Smell of Fresh Cut Grass and Burning Gasoline...Or the Smell of Crap.

I don't care how much $$$ are involved...You Have to Enjoy Your Work or What's the Point.

captken
03-13-2005, 01:03 AM
However you reside in your own little, and I stress, minuscule world. Pampered upbringing....I could go on...from my observations...I am just a regular American guy, who happens to be at, :( or above your level...[of intellegence]

captken
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
trading words with you. I look foward to our next confrontation. lol...

captken
03-13-2005, 01:28 AM
that this is all bull**** , meant to incite this guy....just for fun. He loves a challenge....