PDA

View Full Version : New house and new lawn

SparkyWatson
03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Just moved into a new home in North San Antonio. The builder put in Tifway 419 in front, sides and some of back.

With all the recent rains, the grass is looking ok. Now its time for me to get after it. At this time of year, what should I be putting on it, doing to it, etc...

Local businesses to get things at resonable prices?

Next, I need to get an additional pallet or 2 installed, any good prices here in San Antonio for having this done?

Thanks

quiet
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about you having to move to San Antonio. So many nicer towns around there. Go to New Braunfels, Kerrville, and Fredericksberg as often as you can!

Put a good starter fert (High N, high P, High K) on the tif now. Then fert 5-6 times per year with Scott's Southern Turf Builder.

quiet
03-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm terribly embarassed. I wasn't paying attention and did not realize I was in the organic forum. If you are looking for an organic program, start with "Texas Friendly" organic based fertilizer; available at Home Depot. It's a biosolids based fert with sulfate of potash added for a 6-1-1 analysis. Do it every month throughout the growing season. Cut it short!

SparkyWatson
03-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually been in San Antonio since '83 (Houston before that), just moved to a new house. Had St. Aug. at the old place. While I tried to stay away from non-organics before, I wasn't very strict with myself. I guess I'm looking for a "schedule" of when to apply some of the different organics throughout the year. Is "Texas Friendly" the brand name or will I find it under that name at Home Depot?

quiet
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, it's the brand name. White bag with blue and colored lettering. Just spread it every 4 weeks. If you wanna shell out some bigger bucks, try Corn Gluten Meal at 15 lbs.- 20 lbs./1000 square feet. The color and density of the tif 419 will be breathtaking, but if we keep getting rains, you'll be mowing frequently!

SparkyWatson
03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Where can I find Corn Gluten Meal and what types of prices? How often would I apply it? Would I use this instead of "Texas Friendly" or along with?

quiet
03-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Corn Gluten Meal is available at feed stores. Around $25 for a 50 lb. bag, so at 15 - 20 lbs./MSF, it's awfully pricey if you have a big yard.

I'd be interested in seeing what a tif 419 yard that has had multiple apps of CGM looks like . . .

Keep reading the posts here, go back and search. There has been a lot of discussions regarding other types of meals (soy, corn, alfalfa), and the successes people have had using them. The meals are slow release nitrogen as well as protein sources that feed the microbes in the soil.

Your lawn size and your budget will determine how much, and what you want to put on. But you'll love the tif 419. When fertilized often enough (5-6 lbs of N/MSF per year - 1 lb/month), and mowed short, it's beautiful.

SparkyWatson
03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Tried both Home Depot and Lowes and neither knew of anything called "Texas Friendly" organic based fertilizer? Anywhere else?

quiet
03-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry to make you chase around. I suggested Texas Friendly fertilizer because it's a biosolid fert (reprocessed sewage sludge) with sulfate of potash and iron added for a 6-1-1 analysis. It's made in Austin from the sewage so I figured they'd sell in San Antonio since I've seen it at Home Depots here.

But the brand doesn't matter. Houactinite (from Houston), Milorganite (from Milwaukee); the same thing: reprocessed sewage sludge. Maybe they have a local brand there from S.A.'s sewage system.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if they didn't sell some brand of biosolid based fert at the stores there.

SparkyWatson
03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
No problem. I didn't see anything else and the garden people weren't aware of any organic fertilizers.

Can anyone in San Antonio suggest a product and/or place to get something similar to Texas Friendly fertilizer?

quiet
03-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Check Lowe's again. They sell Milorganite at the Lowe's here. If not, you may wanna check some local garden stores. Milorganite is sold nationwide.

desertmtn
05-10-2005, 07:24 PM
We are having phenomenal results in Phx with all types of bermuda, both on lawns and golf Cses.We use 2 products made by soil secrets in Los Lunas N.M. One is called BetterGreen, and the other is called protein crumblies. Both organically certified, you'll build humus fast, inoculate the soil, and get long term NPK release thru the protein product. 3 times this year, and spring & fall after that. You can get alot more info on www.bettergreen.us or www.soilsecrets.com. Product seems to bring Bermuda out of dormancy earlier, and stays green longer into winter too.Ewing Irrigation has it listed and they sell alot of it for me in Phx. area. You can try them, but I don't think it's in stock yet in Tex. A 40# bag of each will treat app. 3000 sq.ft.If you don't have any luck with Ewing you can contact us through the website.