PDA

View Full Version : 6.0L Power stroke diesel

Green Masters
03-10-2005, 06:55 PM
We own a 2003 f-250 with the 6.0L psd. With fuel prices on the rise, will a chip and exhaust make a difference in mpg? We already have the airaide intake as well.

JB1
03-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Just added one to my 01 7.3 couple of days ago, a lot more peppy , hope it helps milage.

Gilla Gorilla
03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
I love a chiped or tuned diesel. But with it being a 6.0 and probably going to see some shop time here or there I would not put a chip in it. If you really want more power and MPG I would go with using a tuner programmer. That way if your truck has to go into the dealership for repairs or diagnostic work you can just take the tune out of it and reinstall the factory calibration back into the pcm and they will not know that it was in there unless you leave the tuner on the front seat or in the truck cab. LOL

Markf
03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
JBLawn,
Let me know if the chip made a difference in your mileage. We have a 2000 7.3l.

Gilla Gorilla
03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Markf

I am running the Diablo sport predator tuner, 4 inch Magnaflow exhaust and a Mac cold air intake system. I have a 2002 F350 7,3 CC DRW with 4.10's and auto tranny and before I did the mods I was getting around 10 to 10.5 mpg which I was disapointed with and that was with towing about 3k to 4k mostly on an open trailer. Since I did the mods I get between 12 to 13.5 mpg but it really depends on if I can keep my foot out of the pedal when accelerating so I guess it does increase mpg some. Some chips out there are for raw power and others you can get for mpg increase and the same with the tuners. I can go from 40 rear wheel horse power for the towing mode and all the way up to 100rwhp for the whop ass mode. LOL

Green Masters
03-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a qusetion about the psd's. When the truck is at an idol and standing still when i drop it straight to the floor it takes a little while (1-2 sec.) for the truck to really take off. With all the torque it should spin the rear wheels awhen i do this, like a gas v8 would. Why is the psd not as peppy on take off like the gas engines?

Gilla Gorilla
03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Its called turbo lag. If you chip it or use a program tuner you can get rid of most of that turbo lag. When I run mine in the 85 horse mode and floor it from a stop all of the business cards and the garage door opener that I have in the little cubby hole below the 4x4 switch fly out onto the floor. My brother was pretty damn impressed when he road in my truck when I was running that mode a couple weeks ago. Now he says it sounds like a school bus from the exhaust and and engine brake that I have on it.

Markf
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Gilla,
Thx for the info. I will pass it onto my son.
Mark

stumper1620
03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Its called turbo lag. If you chip it or use a program tuner you can get rid of most of that turbo lag. When I run mine in the 85 horse mode and floor it from a stop all of the business cards and the garage door opener that I have in the little cubby hole below the 4x4 switch fly out onto the floor. My brother was pretty damn impressed when he road in my truck when I was running that mode a couple weeks ago. Now he says it sounds like a school bus from the exhaust and and engine brake that I have on it.
where did ya find the jake brake

Gilla Gorilla
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM
It actually is one of those wiring harnesses with a fuse and relay and a switch but it works pretty well for $95 bucks. All it does is close the exhaust backpressure valve about 2 seconds after you let off of the gas pedal. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to turn it off when you come to a stop if you will be there more than a couple of seconds or it REALLY sounds like crapola, kinda like it is gasping for air.

I guess there is no problem leaving it on for 3 or 4 minutes when stopped but like I said I dont particularly like the sound and it makes people look over at me like the truck will blow up but that when I just floor it when the light turns green and smoke the hell out of them.

stumper1620
03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
It actually is one of those wiring harnesses with a fuse and relay and a switch but it works pretty well for $95 bucks. All it does is close the exhaust backpressure valve about 2 seconds after you let off of the gas pedal. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to turn it off when you come to a stop if you will be there more than a couple of seconds or it REALLY sounds like crapola, kinda like it is gasping for air.

I guess there is no problem leaving it on for 3 or 4 minutes when stopped but like I said I dont particularly like the sound and it makes people look over at me like the truck will blow up but that when I just floor it when the light turns green and smoke the hell out of them.
Ok thanks Justin,
I don't think you should have it on when stopped, big trucks have to be shut off or they just kill out.

Gilla Gorilla
03-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah your rite, the only reason that they say you can have it on when stopped is if you are trying to warm up a cold engine faster.

jsr2741
03-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Biggest enemy to a diesel is air restriction. Lose the stock air cleaner and air box and replace it with the AFE. Then do some exhaust work to help it get rid of the exhaust a little faster and keep your egt's down.

The Ford I would not chip or put a box on, as much trouble as they've been having it would give the dealer an easy way out of your warranty.

Remember... After you modify it you become your own warranty station. Believe me I know.

Smalltimer1
03-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Biggest enemy to a diesel is air restriction. Lose the stock air cleaner and air box and replace it with the AFE. Then do some exhaust work to help it get rid of the exhaust a little faster and keep your egt's down.

The Ford I would not chip or put a box on, as much trouble as they've been having it would give the dealer an easy way out of your warranty.

Remember... After you modify it you become your own warranty station. Believe me I know.

So what modifications won't void the warranty? :confused:

jsr2741
03-13-2005, 04:53 PM
So what modifications won't void the warranty? :confused:

Depends on your brand of truck and your dealer. I know the Ford dealers around here will over look exhausts and air breather mods but if you put an edge comp or a bully bog or banks 6 gun tuner on it your screwed.

With my Dodge it was tapping the pump wire on the VP 44.

dcondon
03-13-2005, 05:15 PM
JBLawn,
Let me know if the chip made a difference in your mileage. We have a 2000 7.3l.

Yes it will make a difference. Wriken put on in his 02 PSD and sure helped a lot. Lots more power also!!!!

SouthernLawncare
03-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Gilla,
Yours sounds about like mine. I've got a 97 flatbed dually 4x4. It's got a superchip programer, K&N filter and intake kit, Banks Quick-Turbo turbine housing, 3in downpipe with 4in straight exhaust with 4:10 gears, It's a hause but yours is prob. a little faster being that it's newer than mine.