PDA

View Full Version : How fast are yall solo guys?

Eho
03-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Just wondering how fast a lot of you other solo guys are? I don't have anything but a 21 inch mower( seems to be most effective in my area, many lawns under 5000 sq. feet) With my echo weedeater, edger, blower. and toro commercial grade 21 inch mower, I say I average around 35-40 minutes on a lawn about 5000 sq. ft. What about you guys?
EHO
PS Three to mow tomorrow, high temperature today was 78 :cool: :)

txlawnking
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
But I'd get a helper ( more acurately, enough work yo justify one, or two ) and try to reduce that number by aty least a third, maybe half. But it ain't bad... Just look out in the heat of Summer after you've fatiuged...stay hydrated

Eho
03-10-2005, 08:22 PM
No helper yet, need more accounts. I want to stay solo until I actually need another person. Once I get the lawns, I will defianately hire somebody.
Eho

Lawn-Scapes
03-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Average.. little more than an acre per hour.

packerbacker
03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Just wondering how fast a lot of you other solo guys are? I don't have anything but a 21 inch mower( seems to be most effective in my area, many lawns under 5000 sq. feet) With my echo weedeater, edger, blower. and toro commercial grade 21 inch mower, I say I average around 35-40 minutes on a lawn about 5000 sq. ft. What about you guys?
EHO
PS Three to mow tomorrow, high temperature today was 78 :cool: :)

Buy a 36 and you'll cut that in half.

pcguy
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
I can be in and out of a 5,000 sq foot residential in 30 minutes, mow trim and blow.

Eho
03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I've considered a bigger mower, please answer these questions for me:
1. Is a 36 still small enuf to do a nice looking job on a relatively small lawns?
2. Do any of yall have a stander? I ve seen people using thse before and they look like they are pretty fast...what size do standers come in?
3. Is it hard to maintain the larger mowers?
Please let me know.
EHO

DennisF
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Less than 30 minutes to do 15,000 SF. Mow, trim, edge and blow.

packerbacker
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I've considered a bigger mower, please answer these questions for me:
1. Is a 36 still small enuf to do a nice looking job on a relatively small lawns?
2. Do any of yall have a stander? I ve seen people using thse before and they look like they are pretty fast...what size do standers come in?
3. Is it hard to maintain the larger mowers?
Please let me know.
EHO

1) Yes

2) 36-60 I belive and yes Ive used them.

3) Not at all. Its just like a car. Change the oil, grease them and keep them clean and it will run for a long time.

proenterprises
03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I can be in and out of a 5,000 sq foot residential in 30 minutes, mow trim and blow.

With a 48" walkbehind, solo, I am about the same.

old dog
03-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Start out with a 36" hydro walkbehind cause they are much easier to run all day than a belt drive and you can mow faster with it >Get a 14hp or 15hp and it will cut your time in half-and less bagging too.Years ago,I ran a Snapper 21" and my recard was 16 10000
sq ft lawns in a 12 hour day,solo.Man was I tired!
I now use a 36 for areas needing baggedlike front lawns,and most trim work
and I believe it looks far better than a 21!

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Man.....chain gangs don't work that hard. :dizzy:

mottster
03-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Mow Edge Trim Blow with 48" Walker....from gate down to gate up usually about 15 minutes on a 5,000 sqft yard. Varies from yard to yard though due to different obstacles.

We mow a yard that is 1 acre give or take a few hundred sqft, and with a 61" ztr, mow, trim, edge, blow i average about 40 minutes week to week. rainy days its slower going, dry conditions in mid summer its quicker....etc.

Friday's are my biggest day, due to everyone wanting they're lawns nice for the weekend, i mow 19-20 yards from 7:30, when i get to the shop, to 6:00 when i take my paycheck to the bank. 5 of those lawns are 1 acre or more.

Yay for us skinny guys!

Grass Groomer
03-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I have a 36" with a sulky and have no complaints. The small lawns I am in and out quickly without sacrificing quality. The big ones are fine too. Crank it in high and let it eat. I personally recommend going solo as long as possible. For what you would spend on an employee and still not know what you are getting in to you could buy a larger mower and still have total control.

SoloMow
03-10-2005, 11:46 PM
45-50 minutes. Probably could have hit 35 minutes when I was 20 years younger. :D

Darryl G
03-11-2005, 12:41 AM
My accounts range from about 30 minutes to 2+ hours cutting 1/4 to 2 acres. I am pretty fast as far as the trimming/blowing but take my time on the cutting and when it's hot out.

I'm tall, thin and in good shape so I can walk as fast as most people jog. I can actually walk behind my Turf Tracer at full speed (not all day of course), although I usually sulky or use the rider.

I don't concern myself as much with being fast as with being good.

Precision
03-11-2005, 07:44 AM
I use my 60" ZTR on most of my 1/4 acre properties and use my 36 WB on back yards and a couple of intricately landscaped properties.

Going bigger will definately increase your speed on many of your accounts. do the math.you are almost getting 2 passes worth of cutting with the 36 compared to the 21. Most 36 WB mow at 6+ mph. I know of no 21 that goes over 4MPH. So you are getting almost twice the cut per pass and 50% more speed. I would say that has to speed you up.

There will be lawns that are too small, require too tight of turning for the 36. But as you master the 36 the amount of lawns like that will quickly drop to almost 0. Just DON'T buy a pistol grip 36" WB. Very non-intuitive to use and will take quite a bit longer to master. H-bar, T-bar or something like that. My not very athletic (but well meaning mother) wanted to help me out when we were having the 4 hurricanes here last year. She wanted to ride the mower and edge.

She picked up edging in 30 minutes. She was a disaster on the ZTR. But she figured out the Toro T-bar with sulky in about an hour.

Good luck

Eho
03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I went to the my local dealer today to look for a new backpack blower and hedge trimmer...while I was there, I looked at possible mowers for me in the future. I found what I will buy in about a year or two. The Wright 32 inch Stander is what i m gonna get. That thing looks awesome. Hydro, goes up to 7 mph I think, very solid and very compact. They have a 36 but the 32 seems like I could handle it better on my small resedentials( plus fit it in the back of my truck) Anybody own one of these? How do you like them? Also, what kinda of ramp could I use to load it in my truck.
EHO
PS Solomow, what part of north texas are you from?

Flex-Deck
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a 1.5 acre with about 1000' of curb, island - ditch - 17 minutes mow - 12 minutes trim.

Runner
03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
How fast am I? HA! I cut with a 60" Lazer, and solo, I average between 30 and 40 minutes to mow, trim, and blow a 1/2 acre lawn. Now, that's around 20M of actual tyrf (maybe a little less). I will tell you this...I still MOVE with a trimmer and blower.

Flex-Deck
03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
How fast am I? HA! I cut with a 60" Lazer, and solo, I average between 30 and 40 minutes to mow, trim, and blow a 1/2 acre lawn. Now, that's around 20M of actual tyrf (maybe a little less). I will tell you this...I still MOVE with a trimmer and blower.

Let me do the math. I do 2 acres in 30 minutes with a JD tractor which everyone on this site says is a dinasaure, and your ZTR - Which everyone says is state of the art takes the same amount of time to do 1/4th the acreage.

What gives ????? :blob1: :laugh:

mottster
03-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I went to the my local dealer today to look for a new backpack blower and hedge trimmer...while I was there, I looked at possible mowers for me in the future. I found what I will buy in about a year or two. The Wright 32 inch Stander is what i m gonna get. That thing looks awesome. Hydro, goes up to 7 mph I think, very solid and very compact. They have a 36 but the 32 seems like I could handle it better on my small resedentials( plus fit it in the back of my truck) Anybody own one of these? How do you like them? Also, what kinda of ramp could I use to load it in my truck.
EHO
PS Solomow, what part of north texas are you from?

What type of truck do you have? even if its a small truck like an s-10 or tacoma the 36" should fit inbetween the wheel wells no problem, just flip the discharge chute up out of the way. When i mowed out of my truck i just bought 2 2x8's in 10ft lengths and got the ramp ends for them. Once you master the balance of the boards it is no problem taking a push mower, WB, and i use the ramps still today for a fourwheeler. the reason im pushing for the 36" over the 32" is that i've never seen a gate that a 36" couldn't fit in. And if you find one, i'd say that bakc yard deserves to be mowed with a 21" if not passed on to the next guy. There's always other lawns to be mowed. while the 4" difference isn't much between the 36 and the 32, from 36-21 that 15 inches in a big difference. There's not much price difference between a 36 and 32 also... My two cents...

old dog
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Man.....chain gangs don't work that hard. :dizzy:
Thankfully,I was smart enough to keep investing in equipment !
I now own 3 ztr s,4 48 wb,3 36 wb,etc and hire people to help run it! :alien:

Darryl G
03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Let me do the math. I do 2 acres in 30 minutes with a JD tractor which everyone on this site says is a dinasaure, and your ZTR - Which everyone says is state of the art takes the same amount of time to do 1/4th the acreage.

What gives ????? :blob1: :laugh:

I'll bet running doesn't mow in circles....

Eddie B
03-11-2005, 08:39 PM
1/2 acre mow+trim, 40 minutes tops.

Eho
03-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a ford ranger...I know the 32( maybe the 36) could fit in, but could they fit in with my trimmer and blower also? tight squeeze but it might work. I m really just worried about how to get a stander into the truck. I really dont want to get a trailor yet because I have no place to put one really. For now, my 21 inch will have to do.
EHO
PS added four lawns so far this year looking to add about 6 more

Runner
03-11-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm just being honest. That's what it takes me to cut. This is moving at a decent clip, and doing a nice job. It takes me longer than some, I guess, but it's consistent. I run up around 40 minutes when I double cut. Of course, it doesn't take nearly a long to do the second cut, because not as much attention is given to the trimming detail, the borders are done faster, and of course, the all out speed is much faster.

WaitnonCharlie
05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Most of my yards are 1/3 acre and it takes me about 40-50 minutes to trim, cut, and blow. I'm starting to get my nephew to help me out and pay him per yard (hourly rate would be best, but he is my nephew.) We knocked out 4 yards in 2 hours on Saturday, which was cool because it had been a long week. Seeing that I have to pay him, I don't make as much as I would had I done the 4 yards myself, but I increased my hourly income by 50 - 60%, even after I paid him. So, I do some yards by myself and get him to help me a couple of days a week to knock out a few. I was really struggling with whether this was the right decision because I didn't have that many yards. However, last Saturday picked up 2 more when he was helping. Maybe someone's trying to tell me it was the right decision.