PDA

View Full Version : STIHL FS 110 or shindaiwa M2500 multi use trimmer....

Greenhaul lawn pro
03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm just about to buy my first trimmer, I think the multi use trimmer will be a great way to save some funds in the long run. I need some advice as too which is the better all around trimmer. I think I will go with the stihl, but I hear Shindaiwa makes a comparable trimmer.

Lawn-Scapes
03-10-2005, 09:24 PM
I currently own a Stihl FS110 and can recommend it. I haven't used a Shin 2500 but have used other Shin trimmers and prefer the Stihl.

Travis Followell
03-10-2005, 10:10 PM
We have both and the Stihl 4 mix has a lot more power than the Shindawia so thats what i'd have to recommend but the shindawia is still a great trimmer.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I would go with the Stihl.

green814
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
GLP
I have been looking at the shindaiwa and the stihl multi's as well. I am leaning towards the stihl since you can get the edger attachment in a straight shaft- the shindy is only available in a curved. I have 2 shindawai t230's and am happy w/ them, but I like the stihl a little better cause of the edger attachment.
I read on another posting that w/ the new 4-mix engines you need to have adjustments made to the motor? What is the details on that for those that have the stihl 110 or shindaiwa 2500 models?
Good luck GLP
Chris

Classic
03-10-2005, 11:10 PM
There are valve adjustments and other wear issues with the new 4 mix style engines.

Personally I'm sticking with 2 cycle stuff and RedMax makes an awesome split shaft unit.

Echo is not too bad either.

IMHO...stay away from 4-mix!!

woodmedic
03-11-2005, 04:15 PM
There is no reason to fear the 4mix!!!! The dreaded valve adjustment everyone uses to knock them need only to be done 1 time between 50 and 100 hours and then you are set. Classic do you care to elaborate on the "wear issues" you describe? I am unaware of these.

Classic
03-11-2005, 07:30 PM
There is no reason to fear the 4mix!!!! The dreaded valve adjustment everyone uses to knock them need only to be done 1 time between 50 and 100 hours and then you are set. Classic do you care to elaborate on the "wear issues" you describe? I am unaware of these.

Actually the Stihl owners manual says that you have to adjust the valves every 125 hours or so.

There are 16 more moving parts in a 4 mix engine including valves and a valve train.These extra moving parts cause many more potential wear areas.

I'm sticking with 2 cycle equipment thank you!

DennisF
03-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I have the Stihl FS-110 and love it. Awesome power compared to any 2 stroke I've ever used. The valve adjustment is done every 100 hours or so and is a non-issue. I've adjusted mine and it takes all of 5 minutes to do.

Stihl and Shindaiwa make very good tools. I prefer the Stihl equipment because of longevity. Most of my Stihl stuff is 4 years old or more and it keeps on running. I've had the FS-110 for over a year and it still runs like new. No problems at all.