PDA

View Full Version : Tips for pampas grass.

mottster
03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Spring time means two things here in SE kansas....one...winter was too short, and two...its time to cut back the nastiest plant ever invented...pampas. I've tried all sorts of ways to make this job easy, from just cutting it and then raking it up into barrels...to tying it up in bundles before i cut. But what works most efficiently i've found...is two guys on one plant. One guy holds the bush up...make sure he's got long sleeves, saftery glasses and gloves on!....have his pick up all the stragglers and then twist the bush about 1/4 turn so it tightens up and then step his legs away from the bush. The man with the hedge trimmers, and the only way to do this is with gas hedge trimmers, not even a chainsaw works this well....starts at the guys legs and cuts away from him....when he cuts through...the guy holding the grass just walks it to the trailer and dumps it while the cutter trims up the cut a little bit, rake around hte bush, and boom...you're done. It's the only way, i tell you....What do you do?

Jason Rose
03-10-2005, 11:14 PM
If I could find that other guy to help that'd be great! I am solo so I use a pull type tie down strap on each one and sinch it tight about 1/3 or so of the way from the ground. I also use gas hedge clippers. Some of those old clumps that are very large and have a large void in the middle are pretty tricky to get tied up... If it's a calm day, and I try to do the majority of my pampas grass on a calm day, I can just cut it and let it fall to the side and bundle it with my arms. Yeah I despise the stuff, but it's only once a year and it's early spring so it's something to do early!

student101
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I have a lady that wants me to trim four of these this weekend and from what your saying cut the whole thing down? what about just trimming this instead of completely cutting it off and how long will it take for it to grow back to a respectable size. thanks in advance for your help.

Longstar
03-11-2005, 04:14 PM
You can cut it to about 2 feet above ground level, shouldn't hurt it at all. That stuff will grow back almost immediately with the weather that we have been having lately. just be careful, it will rip you to shreds if you don't protect yourself.

old dog
03-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I try to talk people into getting rid of it in the fall before the wind blows it everywhere.
I don't like running shears too close to another guy.We use 2 guys,then get a tarp
pitchfork,and a rake and have at it.A landscaper friend of mine gets irritated when I tell
him it's just swamp grass!We cut it 6" to 10" high-while it is dormant.Yes
hedge shears are the best way,hands down,been doin it for years

mottster
03-11-2005, 08:42 PM
we trim ours from 8" to 12". Keeps it from getting so thick that its almost impossible to cut back efficiently.

lucky4511
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
we use box or packing tape and wrap it around the grass in 2 or 3 places before we cut them down...kinda keeps it together and makes clean up a lot easier.

ABrown
03-15-2005, 11:38 PM
I always burn it in late February and then get the hedge trimmers on them to finish the job. This has always worked for me.