PDA

View Full Version : Warning/advice to newbies

Tom-N-Texas
03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I wish I had known this piece of information when I started out. It would have saved me a ton of time and heartache. It's taken me the better part of 15 years to learn this. here it is:

I used to be under the impression that if I offered the bestest, most greatest, most reliable-est, most detail oriented lawn service ever, that customers in turn would be ultra-loyal and would never leave me. And while this is occasionally (and even often) true, make no mistake.....nearly every customer is ultimately OUT FOR THEIR OWN INTERESTS.

In otherwords, most customers would think nothing of canning you if the right circumstance presents itself. Or if you screw up somehow. Or if someone offers a lower price....or if some scrub throws shrub trimming in for free, etc. Heck, the customer could even move out of state and leave you high and dry. You never know.

My point is you HAVE to look out for yourself. You're in this business to make money...not friends. Making friends is just a sidebar. Never sell yourself short. Don't give anything away for free. And NEVER EVER get emotionally attached or financially dependant on one single account.

that's 15 years of experience in 4 paragraphs!

pjslawncare/landscap
03-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Amen to that one

proenterprises
03-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the insight, I take that to heart.

dkeisala
03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
I hear ya brotha'!

jsmitheman
03-11-2005, 12:02 AM
wow... that's good advice. Thanks

AEW
03-11-2005, 12:51 AM
You are definately right about not getting dependent on one account. Never ever do that. You are then only asking for trouble.

ZaK18
03-11-2005, 12:54 AM
We view ourselves as professionals, but to many, our profession is the bottom of the bucket line of work. Most of our customers look down on us, to them you are just the lawn guy, and wern't smart enough to get a real job so now you work in the dirt.

Bob-Cat#1
03-11-2005, 01:15 AM
That was very insightful and by far the best piece of advice I've gotten. Thanks for the help.

HOOLIE
03-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Sound advice for The-Not-So-Newbie as well.

PMLAWN
03-11-2005, 06:02 AM
I used to be under the impression that if I offered the bestest, most greatest, most reliable-est, most detail oriented lawn service ever, that customers in turn would be ultra-loyal and would never leave me. And while this is occasionally (and even often) true, make no mistake.....nearly every customer is ultimately OUT FOR THEIR OWN INTERESTS.

that's 15 years of experience in 4 paragraphs!

"nearly every customer is ultimately OUT FOR THEIR OWN INTERESTS."

Read between the lines people. You are in business. Business is about giving people what they want. Of course people are out for their own interests. Did you think they got you to cut grass because they felt like helping lawnboys.

Learn how to SELL. Selling is about learning what the customer wants and finding out how to provide that.
Too many people ask what color mower to use and never ask about what business training to take or sales books to read.
You make $10.00 an hour to cut grass- you make $100.000.00+ a year to run a business. What do you want to learn about???

kipcom
03-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Let me add this.........

All of our customers go thru a rigerous credit check.

Contracts protect our company...not the customer.

Contracts have a penalty for early termination.

We loose less than 10% of customers annually to underbidders, and those that we do loose....come back the next year.

BBB Complaint FREE 2yrs in a row 2003-2004 :cool2:

Mo Green
03-11-2005, 07:44 AM
It is good to carry a professional appearance and attitude, but when it comes down to it for most customers.....it's all about the money.

walker-talker
03-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Learn how to SELL. Selling is about learning what the customer wants and finding out how to provide that.Words of wisedom here!!!

Precision
03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Amen PM Lawns.

It is all about the business end if you really want to make money / do well.