PDA

View Full Version : Exmark ECs or Hustler H-bar

svlandscape
03-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Guys, I am in the market for a new walk behind. I currently have a Toro Proline 36" fixed deck with the T-bar steering and I am very happy with it. Although it is about 6 years old, it is in very good condition since I have maintained it myself since it was new.

I am thinking about buying either an Exmark Viking 36" with the 15 hp Kawasaki or the Hustler 37" with the 15 hp Kawasaki. Either machine would be used on overseeded bermuda in the winter and common/ hybrid bermuda in the summer pulling a Velke X2 and a 170 lb operator.

I saw the Hustler when the Mow for Victory Tour stopped by at the local Exmark/Huslter dealer and it was really nice!

Which machine might be better for me and why? Thanks for the opinions!

specialtylc
03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I cant say which is better for you, but we have had a Hustler 37 for 4 years. We really like the H bar controls.

svlandscape
03-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I guess I should be asking what do you like/not like about each machine and why? Would you buy it again?

svlandscape
03-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Also, when I saw the Hustler the other day, it seem really long. It was the 48" model and it is 77.5" long. It is quite a bit longer than my Toro 36"

captken
03-10-2005, 11:36 PM
just learn to use the search feature....all you have to do is type in h-bar vs ecs and you will get about 35 threads to this subject that has been hashed and rehashed to death...

why is it that people are so lazy?

ChadA
03-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I have an exmark with ECS and it is pretty comfortable. I can't compare since i have never used the T-bar before but it looks like it would be even easier on your wrists and forearms then the ESC. I would demo both and see which fits you.

svlandscape
03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
just learn to use the search feature....all you have to do is type in h-bar vs ecs and you will get about 35 threads to this subject that has been hashed and rehashed to death...

why is it that people are so lazy?

You know, I was hoping to get some input from professionals, if you can't help with a worthwhile response, then don't go to a thread like this and waste your time and mine!

svlandscape
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
I have an exmark with ECS and it is pretty comfortable. I can't compare since i have never used the T-bar before but it looks like it would be even easier on your wrists and forearms then the ESC. I would demo both and see which fits you.

Thank you for your professional response!

captken
03-10-2005, 11:53 PM
You have at your disposal a wealth of information contained in the archives. [use the search feature] My advise to you is to make good use of it. You will find what you seek there. Don't be so lazy or selfish.

svlandscape
03-11-2005, 12:05 AM
You have at your disposal a wealth of information contained in the archives. [use the search feature] My advise to you is to make good use of it. You will find what you seek there. Don't be so lazy or selfish.

Lazy, selfish? YOU have no idea, you don't know me!

THAT being said, everytime I have tried to use the search feature, the keywords I type in are usually buried in a reply and I have to scroll through page after page and the information I am looking for is usually not being discussed in that particular thread.

NOW, I did do a search on my original question and YES you are right about the H-bar vs ECS being discussed time after time, but what on this site hasn't? I am not saying anything negative about lawnsite it is very informitive and worthwhile, but what would someone who is new and looking for professional help think if after every question someone tells him/her to do a search?

MTR
03-11-2005, 12:15 AM
I see you have a 36" belt Toro T bar as your mainstay, why you look at 36" Viking since it is another fixed deck? I love ECS. You can mow literally 8 hr straight (lunch break) and your arms, wrist say thank to ECS.
Honestly, you should keep that 36" Toro and look for a 52" hydro ECS floater TT or TTHP if you can spend, it will certainly benefit you tremendously in terms of business cause as soon as your volume picking up the bigger deck size comes to play. Now, my 36" only cuts my own yard ( also as backup) and I use daily my 52 TTHP to make money.

If you go Hustler, the SWB 54" with 25 Kawi is the ticket, great great machine but the price is like getting a Z. you have to figure it out. For me, eXmark TTHP and Stander all the way.

captken
03-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey Guys, I am in the market for a new walk behind. I currently have a Toro Proline 36" fixed deck with the T-bar steering and I am very happy with it. Although it is about 6 years old, it is in very good condition since I have maintained it myself since it was new.

I am thinking about buying either an Exmark Viking 36" with the 15 hp Kawasaki or the Hustler 37" with the 15 hp Kawasaki. Either machine would be used on overseeded bermuda in the winter and common/ hybrid bermuda in the summer pulling a Velke X2 and a 170 lb operator.

I saw the Hustler when the Mow for Victory Tour stopped by at the local Exmark/Huslter dealer and it was really nice!

Which machine might be better for me and why? Thanks for the opinions!
The information is there for the taking. I nor anyone else can tell you "which machine might be better for me and why"
Either machine is a good choice, its a matter of personal preference. You post now and get the opinion of who ever is willing to respond, at that time. You may or you may not get the correct information you desire. I searched and it is not too hard to get literly volumes of information by typing h-bar vs ecs. Just chose a thread that is interesting. It helps to read the thread through. You are looking for someone else to make up your mind for you.
They both will cut grass and haul around a lot more than 170lbs. Both are easy to maintain.
Read the archives, go to the Exmark/Hustler dealer where you live and demo them both, preferably on your props.
Let's see, from your post, we know you do your own maintence on your equipment, cut grass, and use a Velke. Good grief!
I recommend you visit the "where is California" thread below this one.lol :angel:

svlandscape
03-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I see you have a 36" belt Toro T bar as your mainstay, why you look at 36" Viking since it is another fixed deck? I love ECS. You can mow literally 8 hr straight (lunch break) and your arms, wrist say thank to ECS.
Honestly, you should keep that 36" Toro and look for a 52" hydro ECS floater TT or TTHP if you can spend, it will certainly benefit you tremendously in terms of business cause as soon as your volume picking up the bigger deck size comes to play. Now, my 36" only cuts my own yard ( also as backup) and I use daily my 52 TTHP to make money.

If you go Hustler, the SWB 54" with 25 Kawi is the ticket, great great machine but the price is like getting a Z. you have to figure it out. For me, eXmark TTHP and Stander all the way.

The reason I would like another 36" is that I do mostly do residential accounts and about 6 commercial accounts that honestly for the size they are I cannot justify spending the money for anything bigger, it just is not cost effective. Also on most of my accounts there is alot of things that would get in the way of a bigger mower and thus would reguire using the 21"s or the string trimmer, not very productive, but thanks for the reply. Once and if I decide to go for larger properties, then it might make sense to invest in a bigger machine.

svlandscape
03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
The information is there for the taking. I nor anyone else can tell you "which machine might be better for me and why"
Either machine is a good choice, its a matter of personal preference. You post now and get the opinion of who ever is willing to respond, at that time. You may or you may not get the correct information you desire. I searched and it is not too hard to get literly volumes of information by typing h-bar vs ecs. Just chose a thread that is interesting. It helps to read the thread through. You are looking for someone else to make up your mind for you.
They both will cut grass and haul around a lot more than 170lbs. Both are easy to maintain.
Read the archives, go to the Exmark/Hustler dealer where you live and demo them both, preferably on your props.
Let's see, from your post, we know you do your own maintence on your equipment, cut grass, and use a Velke. Good grief!
I recommend you visit the "where is California" thread below this one.lol :angel:

Captken, you are very right about the volumes of information available, I have been reading quite a bit about it. Thanks for the suggestions!

As far as doing my own maintenance, yes I do it all but I rarely mow grass my self as I have employees to do that for me, sorry if that was not clear.

I did visit the "Where is California" thread, interesting, I think that where I am located it is pretty unique market as we mow year round except when we scalp the Bermuda and over seed with perennial rye so no snow to deal with, no plowing, no fall leaf cleanups, all properties that we do are mowed and all have bushes, hedges, and trees to be trimmed year round, always very busy so there is really no down time, oh and it does get to be up to 120F in mid
summer :blob2: VERY FEW people do their own lawns, at every stop light you see a truck and trailer, some out fits are very professional some are down right embarrassing to the trade, but there is work for everyone.

bart may
03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
I have 4 Toro's with the T-Bar and I have tried both of the mowers you are testing. For me it was an easier transition to the H-Bar. I ran it for a couple of days and liked it. I only had a chance to run the ECS in the parking lot of the dealer and I struggled to figure it out by myself. The dealer didn't even know how to run it, so I probably didn't give it a fair chance. Anyway thats my experience.

captken
03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
we are glad that you are here.
kenny

svlandscape
03-11-2005, 10:29 PM
I have 4 Toro's with the T-Bar and I have tried both of the mowers you are testing. For me it was an easier transition to the H-Bar. I ran it for a couple of days and liked it. I only had a chance to run the ECS in the parking lot of the dealer and I struggled to figure it out by myself. The dealer didn't even know how to run it, so I probably didn't give it a fair chance. Anyway thats my experience.

Thanks for the reply, I am leaning towards another T-bar Toro at this point since it has worked so well for me up til now. I wou ld like to have one as a bagger and one as a mulcher. I already have a mulching kit for my mower but is a pain to take it off and on so I figure I could have one for bagging in the fall when there is a few properties that have mulberries, etc that drop some leaves and the other for year round mulching to increase production, (the other as a backup) The faster we finish the better. (Gas is currently at about $2.39 a gallon! :eek: )