PDA

View Full Version : Home made stripers

The landscaper
03-11-2005, 12:22 AM
I need to get something together pretty fast for a 60" rider and 2 48" wbs.

Whats the best, cost effective, easy to make striper.

tiedeman
03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
chains is what I hear, even though I have never used them

clc2003
03-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Tiedeman, You sure can't make up ur mind on if ur gonna do snow removal next year can ya :p :D

Mo Green
03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
do a search for homemade striping kits. I have seen a few on here that guys have made themselves that seemed to work well for a very low cost.

chefdrp
03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
i have done the chains and i have a rubber flap on my 737 both work well. I wouldnt go spend 200-300 on a roller kit.

cooksjr537
03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
I have used chains but then i just took a piece of a bed mat from an old pickup i had and it works good just make sure its thick. Its mounted on a 48 walkbehind.

MikesLS
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey Landscaper:
I agree with all of these guys, I have tried chains, and I used a rubber bedmat ,and then I was at a scrapyard buying some steel for a new ramp
for my trailer ,I found some material that was great its a material used for
conveyor belts.
It has a strong memory,will stay pointing down.
Hey good luck
mike

chefdrp
03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
here is a pic of the rubber flap. Its made from a bed mat prom a pick-up

gl1200a
03-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Mine is made froma used mudflap and I have about $4.00 in it with flat steel and bolts and paint. It works great,

gl1200a
03-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Let's try this again.

Runner
03-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I have the roller from York, and while it works well, if I was to do it again,...I would do the chains. There are just too many advantages. You also get better aesthetic results because when you back up to a bed, the stripe then starts right at the bed edge. This REALLY gives the impression of going into or through the bed. Also, what's the cost of doing something like this...about 30 bucks? Then, you never have to grease it, replace bearings, etc.

KathysLGC
03-11-2005, 11:32 AM
$30.? Think again. Chain is very pricey. Obviously the price reflects the length of the kit but it's still cheaper then the rollers. You should be under $100. If you use angle iron be sure to get the thick stuff. The one I used is a bit thin and the ends bend in real easy. I used S-hooks to secure the chains to the angle iron. Whats nice about the s-hooks is you don't have to worry about bolts getting loose and if you cut a piece of chain too long, with the s-hook you can correct it with out having to cut another link off.

The landscaper
03-11-2005, 03:38 PM
the mat has to have some give so it wont rip up the grass though right?

Markf
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Landscaper,
PM me your email address and I will send you a picture of the chain system we made for a 48" Exmark WB

mikeyshane331
03-11-2005, 06:13 PM
ive got a question about those rubber ones. do they not tear up the ground when you back up? or do they just reverse?? thanks

gl1200a
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Mikey, mine is a heavy duty semi truck mudflap and I have it set so it rides just above the ground. I filled my tires to the correct pressure and cut it to 1/4" above the concrete floor in my garage. It works great. I'd show you a pic of it, but I can't get it to show up here since they switched the the new system a while back.

chefdrp
03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
mine dosent tear turf going in reverse. it just bends like it was going forward.

The landscaper
03-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Does anyone else have pictures of theres?

The landscaper
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Anybody have one?

Viseras lawn service
03-16-2005, 06:38 PM
here ya go...this one is cut to scrape the pavement...might have to raise it if it tears the turf...heres a link to the pics...a few posts down i screwed up :cool: i might switch to chains if it doesnt work out
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=96309

Williston
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I been working on a chain kit for my tractor. I'm getting very good results, but I'm trying to get the stripes a little more "defined". Does it matter how many links are actually dragging on the ground? Right now the chains are 11 links each and about 4-5 drag on the ground. Also does the weight/size of the chain make much difference?
The chain links are good size, but since they don't all drag on the ground I didn't think it was really necessary to get the biggest they sell. I have some room for adjustment (more links dragging). Thanks! (I'll get my slip and post the size of the links if that info is important.)

Tony1045
06-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Check out the below like. The stipe kit is pretty stright forward and is holding up fine. Tony

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=107921&page=2&pp=10

DynaMow
06-04-2005, 01:29 AM
hey tony used your idea, but i ran a piece of threaded rod through the chain ends, lock nuts on end chains to hold in place. what do you think about that

nobagger
06-04-2005, 06:45 AM
I need to get something together pretty fast for a 60" rider and 2 48" wbs.

Whats the best, cost effective, easy to make striper.
I used a piece of angle iron with holes pre drilled every inch and then used those quick links to attatch the chain to the angle iron. The angle iron was 22" wide and the chain links were 14" long (each). I think I used 3/16 or so, not too big but heavy enough to make a difference on the grass. Also I used a piece of all thread rod and ran it through the last link, this doesn't help with the srtipping but when you back it off the trailer you need to lift the links off the ground and hook it to a bracket at the underside of the controls or they will become lodged in the holes on the trailer gate when backing the mower off causing all kinds of problems. So the rod is used for a quick attatchment to pull all of the links up faster than wrapping them with a bungi strap :waving:

Tony1045
06-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea. How's it working for you? When I made mine, I basically took the idea from Dixie Chopper. Here's the link to their accessories page, where their stripe kit can be found.

http://www.dixiechopper.com/accessories.php

Tharrell
06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Here's a flap from eXmark, I put it on my Bob-Cat. It has a loop molded in the bottom that runs across the length of it. I put some threaded rod in my drill and zipped it in there and then snipped it off at the end. The threaded rod gives it a little more weight. I've been using it for several years and no problems. It's about $20. It comes with hangers to put on your axle. There's also a version for hydro units. I assume eXmark puts it on their units to keep debris from coming out the back side of the deck and hitting the operator.

Tharrell
06-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Here's a cr@ppy yard and it still stripes like crazy!

DynaMow
06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
with the threaded rods it works great i wish i could post pics of kit and what it produces. with the rods it touches all the way accross, i have two on it one in the 7th link and one in the 9th link it is awsome.

Runner
06-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Are you saying you have the threaded rod running on the dragging chain? If so, this is NOT the way to go. It is too easy to catch something and get hung up. There was a thread on here a while back, where someone had used a loop of chain, and it ended up catching on something. It did some severe damage to a pipe or something, but what's worse, is that it almost flipped them over backwards. Open chains draggging will do the same thing for effect as the rods. the chains don't cross and tangle, anyways, so there is no need for the rod.

DynaMow
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
it ended up catching on something.

hmmmm I can see that, never thought about, but I know it would suck.

Open chains dragging will do the same thing for effect as the rods

but wouldn't't the extra weight and touching all the way across all the time be of some benefit?