PDA

View Full Version : what edger to buy

Bama1
03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
looking to buy a new edger for the upcoming season....any suggestions?

cooksjr537
03-11-2005, 08:46 AM
i have a stihl edger. Sometimes it seems like i don't need it just a waste of money because i can use a string trimmer. But on new yards that never been edge before it works out good.

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
don't waste alot of money on a expensive edger. i used the $200 home depot edger for years, and it was great. well, it was past its time, and i bought an expensive one for over $500. it didn't do anything the $200 one didn't do.

LB1234
03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Want to laugh...I bought a Cub Cadet Edger ~5 years ago. The price was right...right around 250 bucks if I recall correctly. Granted, we only use it once every other week for about an hour or two...so we are not using it on a daily or weekly basis...but the darn thing just runs.

Runner
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Just like Bobby said; Home Depot sells McLane edgers. These things are built extremely well, have heavy arms for stability (don't wobble out like many other edgers do), and for the money, you can't lose. This thing will last for seasons, and certainly pay for itself over and over again. If this is going to be your only (or first) edger, definitely look into a whelled edger over a stick edger. Sticks are cool because they are nice and quick in and out of the truck and all, but when you are doing an initial edge, or edging larger jobs, a wheeled edger is the way to go...they're just too easy to use. Instead of having to constantly reaf down with a stickedger, you are just walking along with basically about two fingers of each hand controlling it. Definitely alot less fatigue in operation.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I bought a crafstman 10 years ago, It doesnt get alot of hours of use in a years time, but cranks and runs good and has plenty of power for edging, think I paid around 250 bux for it. I have a stihl stick edger for flower beds and weekly maintence of walks

FrankLandscaping
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
The Little Wonder Extra Edger is the best edger on the market right now, hands down. Stick edgers arent powerful enough and wheeled edgers arent manueverable enough. The LW pulls you through edges that have never been cut and is just as manueverable as a stick.

Trust me, look into this one if you are going to buy an edger. Everyone here is going to tell you his stihl or echo or whatever edger is the greatest thing in the world, but the truth is that is probably the only thing they have ever used.

Frank

Garden Panzer
03-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Homecheapo McClain and get the red max stick edger.....

:waving:

The C Man
03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Ditto what FrankLandscaping said about the Little Wonder, it's a cool edger. I've got 2 brand new ones I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested.

DennisF
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Buy a good stick edger. Stihl, Shindaiwa, Redmax...your choice, they are all good tools. Just make sure you get plenty of power...25cc minimum. Use the stick edger on every lawn you do and you'll be the LCO that every customer wants. If lawn edging is not the norm in your area and you edge your lawns as part of a standard service, every homeowner on the block will be impressed with your work. Nothing makes a lawn look "finished" like a nice crisp edge.

locutus
03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
A friend of mine gave me an Echo 2400 stick edger that he found. So far I've only been using it at my house. I dont care how careful you are, a stick edger leaves a much better edge than a trimmer.

FL&G
03-11-2005, 09:18 PM
L.W. bomb proof.