PDA

View Full Version : Ztr Again

AWJ Services
03-11-2005, 09:29 AM
I have been researching ZTR's all winter.
I am in the Metro Atlanta area so everything is available.
I will list what is close at each dealer
1.Exmark,Toro,Walker
2.Grasshopper,Husquvarna
3. Kubota
4.Bobcat
These are the closest.I can get the rest but they are a little further away.
I am looking for a good rough yard cut as well as a nice lawn cut.
It must cut good on tall grass as well as short.
I will need a bagger also so bagging is important.
The bagger must be easy too use and sturdy.
Must pickup leaves well also.
Looking for a 48 to 54 inch cut.
I do not want too scrifice quality of cut for the ability too cut tall grass.
I like the features of Kubota and the new Toro with the Baffles.
I prefer Kawasaki engines.
I have a Bobcat 36 walk behind that has served me well.Are the ZTR'S a good mower.
Must also be decent on hills.
The husquavarna look nice and they have that new deck.

They all seem too be well built so the more I look the more confused I get.
The bagger realy must be nice so thta will play a big part in my decision.

Thanks ahead of time.

malojeer
03-11-2005, 10:15 AM
just bought a grasshopper the best mower i tried as far as comfort and maintence. 23hp 52". Wouldn't own any other

JB1
03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Sometimes you look to much and beat yourself up deciding, all you mentioned would work good.

moremowing4me
03-11-2005, 11:35 AM
If bagging is that important I would definitely get one with an attached rear hopper similar to the walker design. I dont really bag anymore exept in the fall and winter but I can say that if you are going to bag most of the time then this is the best design for you.IMO.

AWJ Services
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I am looking at 52 and 54" cut models.
The kubota and the bobcat are about 800 too a thousand cheaper than the toro and exmark.
The toro and exmark are in the 7000 too 7200 range and the kubota and Bobcat are 6200 too 6300.That is with no acces.
The bagging is really secondary just will be nice in the Fall.

procut
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I've heard Exmarks are good at bagging because the blower is vertical insted of horozontal.

AWJ Services
03-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Went and tested a Bobcat seem too be on par with the rest.They come with the spring seats.everyone else wants 600 bucks extra.

Travis Followell
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I would save the money and get a Bob Cat or a Kubota. All the mowers you listed would serve you well.

Tractor Man
03-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Like someone said before, you can bet yourself up at looking at all of the Z mowers. I've been doing the same thing. I don't think you can go wrong at the ones that you have mentioned. I was using a 36" Snapper w/b gear, I've moved up to a 48" Snapper Hydro. I'm using an Accelerator grass catcher ( Great Investment) I think once I'm ready to purchase I'll go with the Scag Z. I was just impressed with this machine. If you get a ZTR and it doesn't come with a catcher check out Accelerator. Also what part of Atlanta are you in. I'm on the SOUTH side, Henry Co.

AWJ Services
03-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Also what part of Atlanta are you in. I'm on the SOUTH side, Henry Co.

Butts county.Not far from you.
You live close too Russel's Automotive?

Classic
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The Bob-Cat should serve you well. EXMark is awesome as well.

Stay away from the Husqvarna in my opinion!!

Tadams
03-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I've got a 60" lazer with a 27 Kohler on it with the 3 bag ultra-vac baggger on it and it is a great machine. I have got high end bermuda lawns that I take care of and also I get some one time cuts from people that let their yard go for about a month and it's over a foot high and the lazer has no problem at all. You may have to double cut it but they pay for it so it's no big deal. A walker might suck the leaves up a little better but the upkeep is a lot higher and with the ultra-vac bagger you can put the clipings into garbage bags. It does great on leaves in the fall. Put some gators on and no sweat. It only takes about a minute and a half to go from discharge to bagging. I live in North GA- Bartow Co.- send me an e-mail or PM me and I can tell you more about it. I've got friends that have the 52-23 hp and they are happy with those also. I've put my lazer on some pretty steep slopes as long as it's not wet and it holds good.

malojeer
03-12-2005, 01:06 AM
i bought a grasshopper because its easy to maintain and repair also has individual pumps and motors Kubota has integral units as well as shaft drive deck. expensive to repair also deck is fixed to machine with bars which means harder to keep adjusted

AWJ Services
03-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
The Kubota scares me alittle.Plus the dealers a little further away.
The Exmark and Toro line was my first choice.I grew up with the people that own the local Dealer.
Grasshoppers look great ,but the local dealer I do not like.
I may be making a mistake ,but the Bobcat comes with a suspension seat and seems to be a well built machine.It is the ZT series with a 19 hp Kawasaki and 52" cut it goes for 6300 dollars.The suspension seat is a 500 dollar option with Exmark and Toro.That would put the best price I found on the Toro or Exmark at around 7600 dollars.They come with a 23 hp Kohler which I prefer Kawasaki.
This will be my first ZTR and not my last.I can upgrade the Bobcat to a 23 hp Kawasaki and the price will be 6900.So apples to apples it would only be about 700 dollars cheaper.He recomended only the 19 and sold almost 70 machines like it with no complaints.He is a small dealer ,but really honest.
I know everyone has there preferences ,but with being able to get in a decent mower for that money I will give it a try.
I really had my heart set on that new Toro with the Turbo Force deck ,well maybe next year.
Maint is really not my bread and butter just a supplement to my Tractor and Skid steer work .

fazzy815-66
03-12-2005, 09:53 AM
hey Ive been doing the same(lookin for a ztr) Im thourghly confused as well
Ive owned a 44 Toro super flow deck and was not Impressed I cut fine in short grass applications but sucked in tall or wet grass!! The biggest thing to me is how it looks when I m finished and so far the only thing Im satisfyed with is a 48" walk behind bobcat anyone out there can tell me of the best cutting z rider?? let the opinons fly!!! :confused:

AWJ Services
03-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Well I bought my ZTR.
I went with a Snapper.They had the best warranty and I got a 52 inch with a 21 Kawasaki,Bagger,Mulch kit,and suspension seat for 7500 dollars.They have seperate Hyd systems and are very beefy.The engine has the high capacity air filter and everything is first class.I saved at least 1500 dollars over the other mowers.I will pick it up Thursday and have about 3 acres too try it out on Saturday.They also promised 24 hour repairs or a loaner.The warranty is 2 year parts and labor.

Travis Followell
03-16-2005, 06:13 PM
hey Ive been doing the same(lookin for a ztr) Im thourghly confused as well
Ive owned a 44 Toro super flow deck and was not Impressed I cut fine in short grass applications but sucked in tall or wet grass!! The biggest thing to me is how it looks when I m finished and so far the only thing Im satisfyed with is a 48" walk behind bobcat anyone out there can tell me of the best cutting z rider?? let the opinons fly!!! :confused:
There are several brands that do a very good job cutting like Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, grasshopper, Scag, Bob Cat, and Cub/Lesco just to name a few. Any of those should do an excellent job.

robertsturf
03-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't recall seeing Snapper as a choice from your earlier messages. What gives. I also don't recall seeing Snapper mentioned too many times in other messages on this forum. Do you think their is a reason for that? I'm not bagging on them , but....

AWJ Services
03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't recall seeing Snapper as a choice from your earlier messages. What gives. I also don't recall seeing Snapper mentioned too many times in other messages on this forum. Do you think their is a reason for that? I'm not bagging on them , but....

I researched several posts about them and most were very happy.Snapper has really only been in the ZTR market for a short while.
They are very maint freindly and use quality pumps and wheel motors.The Spindles are easily servicable and the deck is 7 gauge laser cut and welded througout.The assembly plant is also 10 minutes from my house and the selling dealer is across the street from the plant.
They were not a consideration till I stopped by too look at one and then after seeing the construction they were my first choice.I will take delivery thursday and will put it too work this weekend.