PDA

View Full Version : Mulching blades on Walker 48" GHS?

MCYoder
03-11-2005, 10:08 AM
I have a Walker MTEFI with 48" GHS deck and was looking thru the Mow'n'mow catalog and saw that they have a right and left handed mulching blade that fits 48" decks... so I was considering trying them out to see if they will decrease the amount of grass clippings so you don't have to empty the bins as much.

But I wanted to ask everyone on here first to see if they tried this already, and if they did what the results were? Or anyone elses opinion. It will cost about $42 to get a set... Should I try it out and see how they work or just keep using the regular blades for summer mowing?

Updog
03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
That sounds like a good idea do they have them for 52" decks. you try let me know what happens.

MCYoder
03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Mow'n'more.com doesn't have mulchers for the 52" deck, but some other companies might...

mottster
03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
We've tried the mulchers on a 42" ghs and a 48" ghs and on both applications we were not happy. Sure, they decreased the amount of clippings we collected and the clippings were smaller but most of the decrease in clippings was due to the constant clogging of the mower! Even with the GHS we experienced major problems with leaves or thick grass. We only use regular high-lift blades...Walker brand only, after markets tend to not be balanced and wobble under the deck causing the blade to hit the deck. If you want to mulch, why'd you buy a walker? :D

Royalslover
03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
I tried a set this year and didn't notice any difference.

Aaron Marshall
03-12-2005, 12:43 AM
I have tried them and they do not have enough lift for heavy grass and I got clogging. I am going to buy another set though for spring clean-ups because of the good things that are said about how they reduce the size of leaves. I plan to go over the lawn once with the mulchers, and then go over the lawn again with high lifts. This should look pretty good. I always go over the lawn twice anyways when the leaves are really thick. Once with the front of the deck up 1/2-1" so the leaves go under nicley, and once with the front of the deck down 1/4" for good stripes and vaccum, and some times I dethatch on the second time ( with the front mount dethatcher to get all the leaves up). Hope that helps.

Aaron Marshall
03-12-2005, 12:45 AM
P.S. I think $42 is too much for those. You should be able to pick up each blade for 12 a piece. Check out Mowmore.com

MCYoder
03-13-2005, 01:35 PM
mottster, I was just curious if they would make a difference, thats way I started a thread to see if anybody else tried mulchers and obviously you guys have and now I know that they don't do much or actually make mowing more of pain because of the clogging. I bought a walker because it is an excellent mower and the GHS is one of the best collections systems, IMO... thanks for everyone's help.

MCYoder
03-13-2005, 01:42 PM
P.S.S. - yeah, I priced them from Mownmore , the $42 also includes i think $14 for two blade hubs, and the bolts and nuts

Meg-Mo
03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Try the MEG MO blades, We had great reports from the users

Flex-Deck
03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
The Meg-Mo's will do all the mulching you need, and more. Tend to keep the deck cleaner longer too.