PDA

View Full Version : would you advise?

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
the company i left to pursue my lawn business full time, is closing down. a coworker from there, has contacted me, and told me within 3 months, he will be unemployed. he lives in my town, and very close to me. he asked about working for me. i said flat out no. for various reasons. he then asked that if he wanted to start his own lawn business, would i help him get started (advice wise), show him the ropes, etc. i said flat out no, for various reasons. if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

dvmcmrhp52
03-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I think you've covered it.

Jackman
03-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Is the former coworker a friend? If yes and I needed a helper I would hire him, and again if he is a friend and wanted advice on starting his own lco I would also help......... However if he in turn took just one of my accounts after being show the ropes there would be a serious thumping coming his way :gunsfirin

rodfather
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Close? Yes, I would help...I remember once in my life a gazillion years ago about to being unemployed. Not fun.

traman
03-11-2005, 06:41 PM
if he is a true friend i would hire him ,he might end up being the best worker you ever had.but at the same time i would make him sign the best drown up
no compete clause contract you can get, just to protect you self in the future . beside just think of all the great service you would be doing for the great state of n.j. by keeping another lost soul off the welfare line and collecting all your hard earned tax money

Kelly's Landscaping
03-11-2005, 10:48 PM
How big of a pay cut would this guy be taking working for you Bobby? Yea I know he will be out a job soon but that whole pride thing is tuff I once had to take a massive pay cut I was out of a job and had to take what I could get as fast as I could go from 15.50 to 7.00 and talk to me about pain. That did not last long the funny thing was the low pay job was in my so called trade from trades school the high paying one was stocking shelves.

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 11:21 PM
How big of a pay cut would this guy be taking working for you Bobby? Yea I know he will be out a job soon but that whole pride thing is tuff I once had to take a massive pay cut I was out of a job and had to take what I could get as fast as I could go from 15.50 to 7.00 and talk to me about pain. That did not last long the funny thing was the low pay job was in my so called trade from trades school the high paying one was stocking shelves.
he is unemployable, as far as i'm concerned. he currently makes $30 an hour. i'd go $12 to start, but i won't even waste my time, because, as soon as he finds something in his field for $20-$30, he'd be gone. and i won't help him start his own lawn service. the guy lives about a half mile from me. do i feel sorry for him? hmmm, let me think.....when i left that company, i risked not making it, and that's the risk i took. if i fell flat on my face, not one of those guys would have helped me out. well guess what, he made his bed, he chose his field, he will now deal with reaping what he sowed

DUSTYCEDAR
03-12-2005, 12:00 AM
let him swing in the wind bobby

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Well Bobby, I think the difference here is that you chose to leave of your own accord.
This guy is being forced out of a job. A $30 per hour job at that. That's gotta hurt.

You say he is not employable. I don't doubt that. So no I wouldn't hire him, especially if I figured he would go back to work in his old field.

However, would I work him a little bit in the "extra" season? Yeah I would, and if I didn't want him to venture into lawn care I'd make sure I worked that idea out of him.

Would I give the guy advice about starting up nearby? Yes I probably would if I thought he could cut it. I'd rather help someone else be successful than have an arch-enemy scrub to contend with. IF I didn't think he could cut it, I would tactfully tell him so and try to discourage him from trying, as well as offer up some other suggestions to his delima.

We all gotta eat.

Mo Green
03-12-2005, 08:12 AM
However, would I work him a little bit in the "extra" season? Yeah I would, and if I didn't want him to venture into lawn care I'd make sure I worked that idea out of him.

Would I give the guy advice about starting up nearby? Yes I probably would if I thought he could cut it. I'd rather help someone else be successful than have an arch-enemy scrub to contend with. IF I didn't think he could cut it, I would tactfully tell him so and try to discourage him from trying, as well as offer up some other suggestions to his delima.

We all gotta eat.
Exactly.........

bobbygedd
03-12-2005, 09:07 AM
really now, so i'll pay FOR A WHOLE YEARS worth of wc insurence, just to help this guy out? and which one of my already tried and trusted, true blue employees do i cut to help this guy out? it's survival of the fittest i say. i had enough guts to walk away from that job, i didn't want, amoung other things, to be at the mercy of the boss and have to pay for his screw ups with my job. i took the chance, i rolled the dice, and was ready to pay the price if they came up snake eyes. he rolled the same dice by working on someone elses time clock. we all have to live with our actions. ok, you guys changed my mind, I WILL give him a job, but here are my terms: $8 an hour, and YOU MUST address me at all times as " MR. GEDD SIR". no exceptions

promower
03-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Make him address you by El Concisidore (spelling?)