PDA

View Full Version : ever have a customer.......

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 06:14 PM
ever have a customer make a completely off the wall, unbelievable statement? and how would you handle this: got a call for a fall cleanup only. we did it, the guy loved us, asked for spring service (ferts and mowing). i said sure, i did a few things that fall on his yard, to set myself up for spring. spring came, we serviced his property maybe 4-5 times. by the 3rd week, the grass was georgous, thick, lustrous, deep green, really really nice. i mean seriously, it was so nice, i would keep looking back at it as we drove away. the 4th week, he comes out, and follows me around the yard as i'm mowing. he's following me, looking at the grass, and shaking his head (as in dissatisfaction). i stopped like 10 times, "mr. smith, what's wrong?" he would reply, "oh nothing." weird, very strange. the next week, same crap. the first time i stopped, i flat out told him go inside, or i leave. he goes inside. when i'm done, he comes out. he says, "listen, i just wanted to say, the lawn looks like sh!t. i know you just started here, and i'm sure you'll get it, but right now, it's bad." my jaw drops. the lawn was FLAWLESS. i asked what exactly he didn't like. he says i want my lawn to look like that (pointing to a neighbor down the street) who's lawn did in fact look like crap. what do you say?

rodfather
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't say anything...I quickly find a way to get rid of him. Period

aries
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
How can he possibly compare his lawn that is thick and green to a lawn that looks like crap I don't get it what else did he say?

rodfather
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Either the person is a complete whack job or their eyesight is terrible...either way, it's a no-win situation for you.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Give him a pair of 3D glasses and smack him on the back of the head with your shovel.
Didnt u post this once before a while back? Is he still giving u a hard time or is this a new one

LightningLawns
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Just likes to complain.

FL&G
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
There are quite a few people out there that are only happy when there miserable or bitching. Walk away he's only looking for a fight.

Appalachian landscape
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
spray roundup at random intervals in the yard to get that much sought after "patchy" look.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-11-2005, 06:59 PM
spray roundup at random intervals in the yard to get that much sought after "patchy" look.
LOL, That should do it

DennisF
03-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a nut case. I don't do nut case's.

I'd drop him like a bad habit.

newbomb
03-11-2005, 07:03 PM
If your work is as good as you say, I would guess the guy is either mental or wants something for nothing. I am sure I don't have to tell you but if the guy is a PITA I would dump him. Doesn't sound like this job has a bright future.

Of course there is a plan B. Maybe the guy was following you around to look at your @ss. You may have startled him and he had to cover by complaining. Hey play your cards right this may turn into a "full service account". :eek:

Best of luck.

Appalachian landscape
03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
"I got a nice big tip for ya over here in my pocket, but my arthritis. Why don't you come over here and fish it out for yourself?"

--family guy--

impactlandscaping
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
"Where is that muscle-ly armed paper boy?".-Family Guy..... :laugh: ..LMAO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobby-sounds like he wants to get something for free. Some people equate bitchin about service with a "discount" or free service. If you produced a luxury lawn out of a utilty lawn, and he's not happy, tell him to let ' lil Johnny down the street take care of his lawn. It surely would look like crap very shortly..

lawnman_scott
03-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I once got a complaint, it was raining all week, and we left a small divit from a tire on the lawn. Then the next week they call and say we did a crappy job, we always do and always have. The next week she comes out with fresh cut roses for my wife, says we always do a great job and they are lucky to have us. Then a few weeks later the husband comes out and asks us to charge him $5 or $10 extra per month.

Darryl G
03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
The guy was probably trying to keep his tax assessment down. I've been scolded for making a property look too good more than once.

o-so-n-so
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I would politely say.. Well I'm sorry Mr. Smith but I didn't think a lawn like that was within your budget range. For more money I'll be glad to give you a lawn like that. Let me get a new contract signed and in a few months I'll haver lookin great. And as a kicker.... I might say ( as I'm walking away to the truck) yea this lawn does look pretty $h!++y.

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 11:25 PM
i was baffled to say the least. but nothing shocks me anymore. i just said, "well, we will keep working on it mr. smith, we'll get there." then i quit showing up, and 2 weeks later (when the grass was a ft high) i sent a cancellation notice.of course i took the the mowing fees out of his pre paid fert program. you can't win em all, but i always make sure, i never lose even one

SoloMow
03-11-2005, 11:53 PM
ever have a customer make a completely off the wall, unbelievable statement? and how would you handle this: got a call for a fall cleanup only. we did it, the guy loved us, asked for spring service (ferts and mowing). i said sure, i did a few things that fall on his yard, to set myself up for spring. spring came, we serviced his property maybe 4-5 times. by the 3rd week, the grass was georgous, thick, lustrous, deep green, really really nice. i mean seriously, it was so nice, i would keep looking back at it as we drove away. the 4th week, he comes out, and follows me around the yard as i'm mowing. he's following me, looking at the grass, and shaking his head (as in dissatisfaction). i stopped like 10 times, "mr. smith, what's wrong?" he would reply, "oh nothing." weird, very strange. the next week, same crap. the first time i stopped, i flat out told him go inside, or i leave. he goes inside. when i'm done, he comes out. he says, "listen, i just wanted to say, the lawn looks like sh!t. i know you just started here, and i'm sure you'll get it, but right now, it's bad." my jaw drops. the lawn was FLAWLESS. i asked what exactly he didn't like. he says i want my lawn to look like that (pointing to a neighbor down the street) who's lawn did in fact look like crap. what do you say?

Bobby,
Many years ago I had a great friend from Long Island, NY. He would tell some of the weirdest stories and swear that they were true! After enough time, he would confess that he was just busting our (well, you know!). :nono: So, do you want to confess now? :D

bobbygedd
03-11-2005, 11:56 PM
ha! my stories are true, i don't make nothing up. in fact, down my way, my nickname is "honest bob"

kootoomootoo
03-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I had a wierd one yesterday.......she wanted a lawn install, sprinkler system, landscaping the whole deal...thought it would be a goer..turn up and i give her the numbers and ask what she had in mind budget wise...oh about $1000!!!

Then she talked about wanting a rock garden with 3 boulders that she could build sandcastles on ...wtf.

Still cant work that one out.

ChadA
03-12-2005, 12:35 AM

A@@holes and elbows the hell out of there and don't go back.

impactlandscaping
03-12-2005, 04:11 AM
I had a wierd one yesterday.......she wanted a lawn install, sprinkler system, landscaping the whole deal...thought it would be a goer..turn up and i give her the numbers and ask what she had in mind budget wise...oh about $1000!!!

Then she talked about wanting a rock garden with 3 boulders that she could build sandcastles on ...wtf.

Don't you love this type? They'll build an 6-800K house , and want a full install. I'm thinking $ 35K, they're thinking $3500.00...lol

3 boulders for sandcastle building is really out there, man... :laugh:

old dog
03-12-2005, 04:21 AM
There are quite a few people out there that are only happy when there miserable or bitching. Walk away he's only looking for a fight.
Remember this :they aren't happy til they're not happy

Mo Green
03-12-2005, 07:40 AM
That's a tuff one Bobby. Was the grass on your customers lawn a different type than on the other guys lawn? Maybe his is fescue, the other guy bermuda? Maybe he just needs a little education on what a nice lawn looks like. If that does'nt work, I would tell him to do it himself.

bobbygedd
03-12-2005, 09:13 AM
that was the strangest part. the neighbors lawn was a new lawn, started by seed. though comming along nicely, the blades were thin, and you could see alot of ground inbetween the blades, as well as a few small patches where the seed didn't take. my lawn on the other hand...i ferted heavily the previous fall, and gave it about 1/2 lb that spring. that and heavy rains made it incredibly thick and lush. it was like we were both looking at a wall, i was saying the wall was painted yellow, he was saying it was painted blue. very odd indeed. i bailed

soilman
09-11-2005, 05:49 PM
LOL. Just more instance of evidence to prove the old saying that "the grass is always greener on the other side."

twindiddy
09-11-2005, 09:02 PM
you might try cutting it shorter. sounds he might like that.

Brianslawn
09-11-2005, 11:08 PM

i gave that same woman a bid for a 40,000 retaining wall with different levels, dirt, sod, plants, etc. she said she was planning on a thousand $$$. said another guy started, laid a dozen stones and disappeared. :dizzy:

oh, bobby, dump a truckload of manure on the yard and charge him for it. thats what he wants... right?

imdawrlus
09-12-2005, 01:20 AM
bobby, ask him what he wants you to do different and then do it.

Sir mowsalot
09-12-2005, 07:20 AM
"Can you mow my lawn without making those stripes?" That was the first time i ever heard this. I honestly didnt know what to say at first.