PDA

View Full Version : homemade discharge chute blockers

newblade
03-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Anyone make their own chute blockers? How much and how?

Carolina Cutter
03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Anyone make their own chute blockers? How much and how?

Yea after trying a commercial produced unit I mad mine and I like it very much.

Here's some pics.......http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/exmarkmetro36/album?.dir=ac56&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

STAN1366
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
I made one for my 48" Bob Cat wb mower. Took a piece of scrap 3/16" steel plate and cut(sawzall), bent(torch and vise), drilled it so it went right on the deck where the discharge chute went. It uses the same pivot points and the discharge chute did & flips up out of the way when I need to put the catcher on or folds down to block the chute off when I want it to. It does a 'fair' job when using it to mulch. As for costs, well I didn't spend any more than my time as the steel was left over from something else I did. Best advice on 'how to do it' is make a cardboard template so you can get some kind of idea of what you want. It's going to be a little bit of trial and error, but it's not difficult to do. I want to add a rod this year so I can raise & lower it without having to stop the mower, shut the blades off. and then doing it manually. Good luck!

newblade
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I have a exmark lazer z with the 4 1/2 in deep deck ztr

old dog
03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Trimmer Trap makes one that I will be trying...

Carolina Cutter
03-11-2005, 07:27 PM
For a walkbehind? Want me to fill you in??

Daddio
03-11-2005, 11:09 PM
yes, I have a 48 tthp

Smithers
06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
merlin,

i saw your trailer pictures.....very neat.

you mind me asking a few questions?

1. did you change the plywood that came with the trailer? what did you put in there?
2. did you make the trimmer/edger hangers? if so, where did you get the locking pins?

Sunset Lawn Care
06-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I made mine out of an old spring mounted chute that was on the back of a 21 inch push mower. However, the metal was too thin and I am going to have to re-inforce it with some sheet metal and rivets. It was basically free other than my time. The plus side is that same chute had a mount for the bagger so I can use the push mowers bagger also. Kinda ghetto but effective.

Hunter.

Buckeye1
06-17-2005, 07:54 PM
The ezchute (ezchute.com) is the easiest to copy.

Mack77
07-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have up-close pictures of the ezchute mechanism that actually props up the flap? I'm interested in making my own, but would like to see some pictures of the parts other than the flap that covers the deck discharge.

Any imput would be appreciated! :)

DaveRave07
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Sorry for what will seem like a rookie question as I am looking to get into the industry, is this device just to be able to control when you are mulching and when you want to discharge on the fly?

Smithers
07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Sorry for what will seem like a rookie question as I am looking to get into the industry, is this device just to be able to control when you are mulching and when you want to discharge on the fly?
dave, its when you are cutting around the landscape beds....instead of spraying all over the bed, you can temporarily (sp) close it and then open it back up. it's not really used to mulching too much. it would pack too much grass from the 3-4 blades.

its not a stupid question at all!

Remsen1
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I've been thinking about buying/making a chute blocker myself, but I am worried about no direction to the clippings/debris when the chute blocker is up, like you would have when you have the shield on. What happens when you pick up a piece of gravel or a small stick?