PDA

View Full Version : Is it Illegal???

Shawns Lawns
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Is it illegal for a dealer to run your credit report without your permission? If so what can i do about it? :confused:

lawnman_scott
03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
yes it is, and when they do you can swear at them. If its not in writing i guess you can do something, but i have no idea, well other than swear.

bob
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
How did they get the info to run the credit check?

quiet
03-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Did you request credit from the dealer and fill out a credit application? Then you consented.

If not, why would he bother running a credit report on you?

dvmcmrhp52
03-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Credit checks are run all the time, just get a copy of your credit report and you will see.

Anyone can run a credit check on anyone.
Would a bank give you a loan without one?
People in business do it all the time with their clients, it's good business practice to know who pays and who doesn't.

newleaflandscape
03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Its perfectly legal. For around a hundred bucks you can do a check on anyone online. I always do a check on any commercial contractors before I decide to do there work. What are you so worried about. If you have bad credit then its probably a good thing they are running a check huh?

promower
03-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Not without your consent. I assume he ran it if you inquired financing through your dealer. I dont let people run my report unless they really have to, inquiries drop your score. I usually just run my own report if I need financing. Doing a check on yourself wont drop your score.

JFGLN
03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
There are 2 different types of inquires, "soft or hard". Hard inquires lower your credit score. If he plulled a hard inquiry he has to have "permissible purpose". In other words you have some sort of financial relationship with his company. Did you fill out a credit application? If not, dispute it with the applicable credit reporting agency.

Learn all about credit at this free site WWW.creditboards.com

Shawns Lawns
03-12-2005, 08:02 AM
There are 2 different types of inquires, "soft or hard". Hard inquires lower your credit score. If he plulled a hard inquiry he has to have "permissible purpose". In other words you have some sort of financial relationship with his company. Did you fill out a credit application? If not, dispute it with the applicable credit reporting agency.

Learn all about credit at this free site WWW.creditboards.com

I do not know if he did pull a credit report yet. We are in the process of refinancing the home and they told us the more inquiries you get it could lower your score. I put a deposit down last fall for spring lawaway and told them i had a local credit union that i was going to be working with.

Turf Smart
03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I seem to get credit card offers in the mail on a daily basis. I learned recently, after obtaining my own credit report for a fee, that there were a large number of "inquiries" listed. Guess where they came from? It can be stopped through writing to the credit reporting agencies listed on your credit report. They do not accept phone calls. I have been told to get a copy of your personal credit report once per year to see if there are any issues.

derek1
03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Shawn you should look at your local bank or credit union cable and phone companies they all have fine print that most people do not read that says that they can share information among affiliates. Most major companies have smaller companies under there umbrella that try to up sell more products from the smaller companies from the major company. Get a copy of your credit report look and see who the companies are and make sure that your credit information is not shared.

JFGLN
03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
If you don't want your credit info shared call 1-888-5opt out. Blocks the credit reporting agencies from sharing your info for two years.