PDA

View Full Version : Husband/Wife teams

truenorthlandscaping
03-11-2005, 11:59 PM
How many of you successfully work w/your wives out there? My wife has major administrative skills, we're trying to decide if we cut the security of her 30 hr/week job w/benefits to come on 20 hours/week w/my company, without KILLING each other! Can it be done? Are any of you doing it? Is it working? All I know, the administrative HEAP just keeps getting bigger, & it's burying me. I'd rather keep the $ in the family, than pay someone that's good $15+/hour in a non production position.

Branchland
03-12-2005, 04:22 AM
My wife quit teaching to do this full time. Of course teacher's don't make much. She's not afraid to do anything I do. And she does a good job. We enjoy speading time with each other and get along well doing it. She also handles the books and I handle the pricing. But we both know how to do the others job and sometimes do. I've found alot of people like seeing the husband/wife team out there. Plus she's great at selling jobs. She's a real people person.

rodfather
03-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I think a woman can handle and deal with a customer in a slew of issues much better than a man personally...

aries
03-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I have been throwing this around for some time now, and still can't make a decision about it I like to run thing's my way and I know that my wife would have alot to say about certain way's of doing things? let us know how u make out.

rodfather
03-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Joe, any more development on the sale?

MOW ED
03-12-2005, 10:23 AM
My wife works with me in the field as well as taking care of all the billing and administrative functions.
She uses the Toro WB with a Pro-slide and learned it in 5 minutes. It helps me tremendously. She began working with me 3 years ago just about the time when I was getting a little tired of doing lots of work and was considering a helper.
I would say to let your wife start at her own pace and make sure she likes what she is doing or else you WILL kill each other and have plenty of opportunity to do so.
Now my lawn business isn't my only line of work but I run it as a legit business that does take many hours of work per week. We do have a built in safety net and she doesn't really have to come out every day I am out there but she does unless there is a function with the kids.
Either way I would say it depends on your relationship as well as if your wife wants to do the field work. An answer of Good and Yes is a good start to keeping the bucks in your pockets (more hers than yours :D )

DJ Contracting
03-12-2005, 10:37 AM
I guess i'm not the only one going through changes my wife is calling it quits after working for the county for 19 yrs. and coming to work with me part time for the same reasons , to keep the expenses down like workman's comp and payroll taxes.

Toy2
03-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Like the commercial says " Just di It"....I wish I could have my wife work for me, she has a full time job, plus is helping me with this endeavor.....puts 50 hours in at work and then tries to keep me on track......she has planter something with her foot, so she can't be in the field, which I think would be neat.......it works as long as you don't piss each other off!!! ;)

aries
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Rod not yet! this week we will do negotiation!

BryPaulD
03-12-2005, 11:15 AM
My wife works with me. She's a great sexatary, and gets regular bonerses. And when she has to talk to the client, it's prolly not good, and if she has to talk to an employee, he's prolly getting fired.

rodfather
03-12-2005, 11:20 AM
She's a great sexatary, and gets regular bonerses.

LMAO...somethin' wrong with ya son. :laugh:

BryPaulD
03-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Hehehe, I just had to say it. It'll probably get botted soon.

chimmygew
03-12-2005, 11:34 AM
If I had to work with my wife along with living with her, I think I would slit my wrists with a spoon.

Evergreenpros
03-12-2005, 12:32 PM
How many of you successfully work w/your wives out there? My wife has major administrative skills, we're trying to decide if we cut the security of her 30 hr/week job w/benefits to come on 20 hours/week w/my company, without KILLING each other! Can it be done? Are any of you doing it? Is it working? All I know, the administrative HEAP just keeps getting bigger, & it's burying me. I'd rather keep the $ in the family, than pay someone that's good $15+/hour in a non production position.

My wife and I have been working together for the last 7 years and it's worked well. The keys are to STOP work when you leave work and SEPARATE the duties.

There also has to be one person ultimately in charge and has the last say. If you are in one of these so called 50/50 relationships, I would reconsider the plan. "Negotiating" every last thing to make it "even" doesn't work well in business.

Creative Lawn Care
03-12-2005, 12:33 PM
you guys live with your wives AND work with them??? OK I better not say anymore, she might read this...lol

Turf Cutters
03-12-2005, 06:34 PM
My wife and I have been working together for over ten years. She runs the business side and runs a crew while I run the other crew and do all equipment maintenance. So far there has been no problems.

Shuter
03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
My wife and I work well together. Every day I am in the field and she is in the office. It works out well.

Turfdude
03-12-2005, 07:40 PM
My wife does all of the data entry for purchases, etc. She cuts our payroll, checck messages throughout the day, cuts checks for creditors, inputs our payments, etc. There is no way however, that she could work in the field on a daily basis. On occasion, she has helped us mulch on a Saturday, but that hasn't happened in a few years.

I know Major Tom & her husband both work in the biz.

olderthandirt
03-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I think a woman can handle and deal with a customer in a slew of issues much better than a man personally...

They are also much better closers on most deals. Lets face it, it usually the woman/wife that has the final say when there is a disagreement between husband wives ,/bf/gf etc. on what will be done on the property so I usually pay more attention to what SHE wants than what he would like :laugh:
And No I do not think you can work full time and live with your spouse, Thats just to much time together. I would have her sell the jobs and then her part would be finished. Been there.

Mac

Envy Lawn Service
03-13-2005, 05:36 AM
BOY!!!!..... Now I have to say, this one DEPENDS!

My first wife was suffocating, to the point of strangulation, and would have done anything to put a pillow over my face or cord around my throat all day long, except of course anything remotely to do with any type of work. She was scared to death of any type of work. So she found much more enjoyment in pestering the crap out of me while I tired to work and spending her days 'on the town' courtesy of knowledge of my social security number, good credit rating, her marital status with me, and lax creditor practices. She liked to max out the credit I knew I had too, among other things.

Surprise!!! We divorced and she got everything but the bills, basically all of the paid-for marital assets, and 50% of all other interests. I got a mailbox full of 'marital' debt, an empty wallet and the financial responsibility of buying out her 50% interest in everything else, which also included other indebted items she knew she could not and did not want to pay for, else she would have had that too..... and I went through all of this in an attempt to protect my pre-marital assets.

CASE IN POINT #1??? May not work for some couples. If she's your girlfriend, you may be giving her a 'vested' interest.... if she is your wife and does not already have a legal 'marital' interest in your state like they do here, you are giving her a 'vested' interest, and you can bet your azz she will testify in court to having been enslaved to your business. Separation and divorce happens to good couples and good people, every day.

Now, my 2nd wife and I enjoy each other's company.... well except when I don't agree with her that EVERYTHING IS MY FAULT! :eek: lol j/k :D

In all seriousness though, she has helped me a few times on landscaping jobs. Mostly on clean up/prep work. She is very good at the little painstaking detail oriented jobs needing a woman's touch, such as snipping the brown blades and leaves out of ornamental accent plants and grasses. She also doesn't exactly like my long work hours away from home and I'm sure she would love the chance to spend more time with me. But I don't think she really has an interest in becoming more heavily involved in my operations. She hardly likes to drive anywhere in a car, so fear and reluctance of learning to operate equipment comes into play, as well as the bugs, spiders, bees, filth, heat and sweat that go along with daily operations. None of which I really expect or want my wife to have to contend with on a regular basis. So I don't push the idea.

CASE I POINT #2??? I guess it could work, and if she's a hard worker it would really pay dividends to the family. So it would be great for those who could pull it off. As for me and my wife, I think we could pull it off and someday we might try having her as a blower operator, trash picker-upper and landscape detailer.... on a part time basis.... if she shows an interest.

David Grass
03-13-2005, 08:04 AM
My wife is going in with me this next week, as she quit her job to go back to school, She bought a Hustler 54 WB, so will be very valuable this year! This kind of job is different from, say, running a print shop, or a restaraunt in that once you get to your job, the earplugs go in, and you really are in your own world of thought for most of the day. We love Sea Kayaking in Charleston, Mountain Biking near the Parkway, Camping in Edisto, Snorkling in Florida (especially in Feb when all the Manatee have migrated up the HOt springs), so we are looking forward to having the exact same schedule, and taking off for a lot of 4 DAY WEEKENDS!!! THIS would NOT have worked with my ex wife, each couple I think "KNOWS" intuatively whether this will work for them. I think it can hurt your marriage, or help it, depending on each relationship's natural dynamics.