PDA

View Full Version : Spam, same thing as flyers?

olderthandirt
03-12-2005, 12:11 AM
No one like spam on this site or any other site. Sean does not allow it and neither do any other forums becouse its taking away advertising dollars. So how about fliers and post cards what is the diff? I have seen so many packed in paper boxes that the paper boy would have a heck of a time fitting in the paper. The post office is not receiving any revenue from them! And even mailings, postcards there unsolicited also. From a customers point of view would you want your paper box or door stuffed with solicitations? and although the USPO is getting revenue when you do a mailing its still junk mail that someone did not ask for. So if you hate getting spam why would you be interested in someone who stuffs fliers in your paper box or hangs them from your door or for that matter sends them through the mail. I know why the practice happens just wanted to know did any of you think how the home owner views this practice?

Mac

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
This is the same reason I don't do residential cold calls, door hangers, ect...

In my opinion this is very invasive.

old dog
03-12-2005, 02:19 AM
In residential I go by referral only!If you get in an area,your work IS the salesman!

mtdman
03-12-2005, 02:30 AM
I pretty much feel the same way about junk mail as I do spam. Usually I trash all of the junk mail. However even junk mail advertising has a bit more legitimacy than spam, IMO. And every once in a while something does catch my eye via junk mail that I'd consider. Besides which, an email address is not a public knowledge address. Anyone can figure out your mailing address, you expect to get mail advertisments. Your email should be a bit more private, imo.

Still, mailing and distribution earns about a 1% return, which means SOMEONE is paying attention. I expect the same is true about spam.

gslawncare
03-12-2005, 03:43 AM
I'm 22, thank god I don't have a kid and I still attend college. I decided to start getting into the lawncare and landscaping industry because it's in the service sector of business types. The overhead is extremely low and start-up is extremely minimal. So far I've worked for every reference in the same respect. I said something out loud and the person thought and asked me a question.
I haven't ever paid anyone to do my flyers and it's friggin snowing in chicago and Ive already had a couple customers sign on. It's pretty exiciting for me becuase it means that maybe one day I won't have to be a drone like at my part time job for BIG BROWN
I honestly just want to work and manage a small firm where my employees could one day have insurance and that we all could make a nice living working about ten months a year. believe it or not but I'll make it.
Flyers get me paid, it is pretty annoying but they get responses.

stumper1620
03-12-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm 22, thank god I don't have a kid and I still attend college. I decided to start getting into the lawncare and landscaping industry because it's in the service sector of business types. The overhead is extremely low and start-up is extremely minimal. So far I've worked for every reference in the same respect. I said something out loud and the person thought and asked me a question.
I haven't ever paid anyone to do my flyers and it's friggin snowing in chicago and Ive already had a couple customers sign on. It's pretty exiciting for me becuase it means that maybe one day I won't have to be a drone like at my part time job for BIG BROWN
I honestly just want to work and manage a small firm where my employees could one day have insurance and that we all could make a nice living working about ten months a year. believe it or not but I'll make it.
Flyers get me paid, it is pretty annoying but they get responses.
seeing as to how MAC is one of the most helpful guys on here.
I suggest You watch that bad opinion you have, When you have a Question to ask (and you will) It might not get the results you expect.
IMO

stumper1620
03-12-2005, 04:51 AM
seeing as to how MAC is one of the most helpful guys on here.
I suggest You watch that bad opinion you have, When you have a Question to ask (and you will) It might not get the results you expect.
IMO
Imagine that!
26 post and 75%+ Questions. Whoever would've thought.

Branchland
03-12-2005, 06:06 AM
You have brought up a very good point. I admitt, I never thought of fliers like spam. But it is I guess. You're right about most homeowners not likeing it. I know I don't care much for junk mail even though it's not much of a bother. I hate phone calls, thank GOD for the do not call list. Spam I hate. It slows down my whole computer. Juck e-mail is a real pain going through deleting it all. But next to the phone calls I think spam is the worst. I have used fliers in the past and got a real good response to them. Not one complanit. I am using them very little this year. In a couple of neighborhoods I'd like to get started in. Once you get started in a neighborhood and do quality work that sells itself.

Mo Green
03-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Good point. I never really put the two in the same category, but I can see how they could be. I only put out a small amount of flyers. Usually I put them on houses that i would like to service, in neighborhoods in which I already work.
For me, when I get junk mail, I give it a quick look and trash it if its not intereting to me.

Littleriver1
03-12-2005, 07:48 AM
I get junk mail every day. I get spam every day. The two are no way near the same thing. They both end up in the same place. Think about how you feel when you open your mail box and find junk from credit cards, water filters, computer manufacturers, and lawn care. Email is much more personal. It's like being violated. Spam just sucks. Door hangers may be a PITA for some home owners, but nothing like spam. I always have that little four letter word on my lips when I get spam, but not so with door hangers or junk mail. I don't use direct mail or door hangers but I can see how it might help. There have been studies on the return on direct mail and door hangers since the 1950's and the news is very good for the users. I do not understand why anyone would try to discourage the use of direct mail or door hangers. Everyone has to use the type of advertising that works for them. Use the tools you have and your brain is the best tool God gave you.

promower
03-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Honestly I dont mind junk mail, if it catches my eye I may look at it for 20 seconds before I throw it out. A few months ago I had computer virus and I got a mailing from some company called Geek Squad. The name caught my eye, I needed my computer fixed, by the end of the week it was fixed.

JFGLN
03-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I have been trying door hangers this year. Last week I get a call from a guy,

caller, "I don't want you to leave hangers on my door"

me , "well ok, but I don't know where you live"

caller, " I live in the Madison neighborhood"

me, "but I still don't know where YOU live"

caller, "you put them on all the houses"

me, "hey man, just throw it in the garbage" click

So I have 1000 door hangers, passed out 250, 6 new accounts so far.

olderthandirt
03-12-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm not saying that it the wrong way to advertise, I was just thinking from the customers perspective that they get overwhelmed with unwanted solicitation and they become numb to all the fliers. Is there a better way? YES of course there is but its not the cheapest way and might not be the most cost effective way. TV adds run during the super bowl get a tremendous response but there not cost effective. Its a combination of print , Internet ,radio , TV and the most important is word of mouth advertising. The cheapest and fastest way to pick up new customers is to net work with other LCO, there usually wiling to give up a few unwanted out of the way pita customers. May not be what the newbie wants but it is a starting point to build off of.

Mac

gogetter
03-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I suggest You watch that bad opinion you have,

So he can only have an opinion if it's a good one?!? Nothing wrong with what the kid said.

And I agree with him, flyers get me customers.
I get flyers and door hangers at my home too, and I couldn't care less (as long as it's not thrown in my bushes or something stupid like that). I just throw it away if I'm not interested. Easy enough.

I'd MUCH rather get a door hanger then an unsolicited phone call or door to door salesman, something that can interrupt me and require me to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone or door.

olderthandirt
03-12-2005, 01:17 PM
So he can only have an opinion if it's a good one?!? Nothing wrong with what the kid said.
Jonathan, the Mods have cleaned it up :laugh: :laugh: I had already seen it before they did there job, just decided not worth answering him.

Mac

LB1234
03-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Looking at it from the customers standpoint...

I would much rather someone place a stamp on something and mail it to me. I HATE HATE HATE :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin when my wife and I get crap rubber banded to the screen door or thrown onto the driveway...half the time they miss and winds up in the middle of the lawn. Heck, I even found a paper one time in the back of my pickup truck!! :mad:

Main reason is thieves monitor things like this. If they see a bunch of doorhangers or newspapers not picked up chances are the homeowners are away. Again, just my opinion looking from the customers (which I am) point of view.

Also, this is my first year doing flyers...I've created a list of all properties that I've sent to. If ever I receive a phone call, complaint, etc. I will immediately remove them from the list.

So, yes, I do think its a form of snail mail spam, but I'm also leaving a window open for them to close down the mailing...so to speak...

gogetter
03-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Jonathan, the Mods have cleaned it up :laugh: :laugh: I had already seen it before they did there job, just decided not worth answering him.

Mac

Oops, my bad Mac! I thought when a mod edits a post, it says so at the bottom of that post.

proenterprises
03-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Advertising is the American way,and advertising can come in many different forms. Unfortunaley, it comes many times in the form of spam mail. Spam mail is not only the junk which we recieve in our email boxes daily, but it is door hangers, flyers, email, phone calls...etc. I dont really mind crap in the mail, its real easy to spot and toss out. Email is another story, once your email address is out there, there is no way of stopping it. I have had numerous email accounts which I have abandoned because it has become so overun with spam that it took 30 mins a day just to weed out the crap.

Fliers and doorhangers (from any company) I can deal with. If they catch my eye, I read them, if not, they are in the trash in 30 seconds.

stumper1620
03-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Mac
cleaned it up. is putting it mildly Mac, thats practically a whole rewrite. :laugh: :laugh:

promower
03-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I know I would rather get spam or junk mail over the dreaded telemarketer! Now I'm even getting calls on my cell phone, until they start paying the bill they have seriously crossed the line on that one.

olderthandirt
03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
cleaned it up. is putting it mildly Mac, thats practically a whole rewrite. :laugh: :laugh:
Did look a whole lot differnt Steve. I thought I stumble on the wrong thread. :laugh: :laugh:

Mac

tinman
03-12-2005, 07:54 PM
And I agree with him, flyers get me customers.
I get flyers and door hangers at my home too, and I couldn't care less (as long as it's not thrown in my bushes or something stupid like that). I just throw it away if I'm not interested. Easy enough.

I'd MUCH rather get a door hanger then an unsolicited phone call or door to door salesman, something that can interrupt me and require me to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone or door.

Fliers are better than calls & door to door people & they obviously work so we'd be crazy not to use them if we want to work in specific areas. If a homeowner does not want them all they have to do is post a small "no soliciting sign" & most will respect that. You can't stop spam that way. BTW spam does work even if the response rate is .001 % because it's basically free to send out all those emails.