PDA

View Full Version : received a flyer

mole
03-12-2005, 07:43 AM
on my mailbox yesterday. I can deal with people coming in and trying to get business it happens all the time. But this one got me, the flyer said to name your own price for lawn service. Yes that's right let the customer decide what he wants to pay. Now once this guy gets these people and let's say he loose them but they decided on there price for the lawn how do you go about giving them a new price of what the lawn should actually be. Can't wait to see what today brings on the ol mailbox

SodKing
03-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I get calls and fliers from my competitors all the time, use it to guage your own service level and marketing campaigns.

I got a kick out of the time the Death-Lawn guy was standing in my back lawn telling me it was infested with grubs. I offered him a $100 bill if he could find one....and then I added that 4 months ago he didn't know what a grub was as I had to show him when he was treating a severely damaged lawn and didn't know what killed it...he asked me. (he thought crabgrass killed the lawn;) Oh he also wasn't licensed at the time of his treatment.

promower
03-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Name your own price, now theres a new one. I would let him mow my lawn for $1.00

mole
03-12-2005, 08:29 AM
That's what I said to myself, just wondering why they would want to deal with all the bs that people are going to offer him. It is almost as bad as the one I received last year with the guy doing lawns at 13.00 dollars. He went out of business by june.

aries
03-12-2005, 08:46 AM
That guy will last about a month and go under!

rodfather
03-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Name your own price, huh? Sounds like Monty Hall...come on down!

Precision
03-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Was the guy William Shatner or Leonard Nemoy?

CamLand
03-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Was the guy William Shatner or Leonard Nemoy?

that company still around? Never hear commercials anymore...

andersonmowing23
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
You should call the guy up and have him mow your yard for dollar, whats the worst that could happen, he goes out of buisness faster

PTP
03-12-2005, 08:08 PM
That is so crazy it just might work. When I go to buy a truck, I tell the dealer to do better on the price - I don't tell them what I want to pay, I make them come up with the number. The last time I did this, I paid $500 less than I was willing to pay. I wonder if people might not do the same thing in reverse here and pay more than what it is worth.

I suppose that he has some sort of a system where if you pay a lot then you get a lot and if you pay cheap then you get your clippings discharged into your flower beds and you do the trimming, edging, and blowing yourself or something like that.

Just the same though, I don't think that I will be trying that one.

promower
03-13-2005, 01:56 AM
The thing is you would be doing so many estimates, or actually so many potential customers doing estimates for you, that all your time would be taken up meeting these people and explaining yes I did advertise name your own price but I'm sorry I just cant mow your lawn for $1.00. I see this as a huge waste of time and a total marketing failure. I have enough people calling and wasting my time saying well your quote is twice as much as the guy last year, he was only $15.00 a cut. Name your own price callers would definately be shooting for $5-$10 cuts.

Ray & Karen
03-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Give me his number. I would like to sub out a few jobs to him!

walker-talker
03-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Sounds crazy, but might be a good marketing technique, especially if you have great selling,negotiating abilities. Sure you would get a lot of calls, but if you had the time you would not have much to lose.

Cut
03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Sounds crazy, but might be a good marketing technique, especially if you have great selling,negotiating abilities. Sure you would get a lot of calls, but if you had the time you would not have much to lose.

But so unprofessional. Heck, im not even a scrub yet!! But still that sounds like a real messy aproach to me. Why not do like everyone else and just do the right thing?

beransfixitinc
03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
That's what I said to myself, just wondering why they would want to deal with all the bs that people are going to offer him. It is almost as bad as the one I received last year with the guy doing lawns at 13.00 dollars. He went out of business by june.

You say he was doing lawns for $13 and then went out of business.... Sorry, but it sounds like he was never IN "business" to begin with.

mole
03-13-2005, 05:24 PM
No I said it was like the flyer last year that I received that had a guy doing lawns for 13. He went out of biz. Will see what this guy does.

walker-talker
03-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Why not do like everyone else and just do the right thing?Marketing and advertising should just be the opposite. Companies spend millions trying to find something different. Have you heard the phrase, think outside the box.