PDA

View Full Version : Front deck mowers

wpines
03-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Has anyone used switched form a mid mount to a front mount? Why?
Do they handle hills obstacles or uneven terrain better? Do they ride better?
Is ease of maintenance that big of an issue?

rodfather
03-12-2005, 08:16 AM
We have both. I personally prefer the front mount due the fact it holds slopes better and can get under low growing tree limbs and bushes much better IMO.

ScCo
03-12-2005, 09:51 AM
we have both walkers (front decks) and hustler super z's.

The hustlers make short work of the slopes that the walker won't stick across (walker will sometimes go up and down these steeper slopes). I've demoed pretty much all of the "major" manufacturer's machines and the super z is what I have been able to get to hold slopes the best.

In the area of cut quality, the walker is absolutely the cleanest cutting machine I have ever used. The outfront deck reaches under and around things very nicely, as rodfather mentioned above. It is all but impossible to scalp with the walker whereas with the midmounts I can't cut below 2.5" without having major scalping issues. Many of our properties are tifway bermuda that are irrigated, fertilized, and very thick. The walkers rule on these properties because they allow us to cut at the heights that tifway is supposed to be cut at without scalping or an unsightly finished cut.

If you don't ever need to cut below 3" and you don't have a lot of trees and overhangs that you need the cutting deck to fit under, then the midmount machines are probably more along the lines of what you will prefer.

Shorter cutting heights, more meticulously designed properties tend to favor the front deck machines in a big way.

Aaron Marshall
03-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I've had a Husky zero turn mid mount, and I know own a walker. There are advantages to both. In the area I am in now the walker works perfect. I just stay away from the areas where I know a big z would do better and I let them take care of it. And as ScCo said above, the mid mounts below 3" unless it is absolutly flat, you will get scalping from what I have experienced. No such thing with the walker. Good luck to ya.

apexlawn03
03-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello I have a 1992 exmark turf ranger 60 inch cut and it is my work horse mower. There are 4 large LCO's in my area and most use zt and wb. I mow partime about 20 lawns per week some big and some small. I use the turf ranger at everyone that I can. 60 inch deck goes under and around areas well. Average ground speed probably 3 to 5. New exmarks have a deeper deck than my old one. Have used it on hills and inclines without much problem. It takes a little time to learn when and were it wont go. Speed not as good as z turn but its a work horse. Iam looking forward to testing out a new one this summer with the deeper improved deck and more horse power. Mine has the 18hp kohler.

David Grass
03-12-2005, 01:27 PM
The out front decks are considered a more "pro" cut, because the deck mows the grass BEFORE it is run over (save the small caster wheels), whereas, a tractor style mower, typically MASHES the grass down a lot more, then the deck mows it. Later that day, when the grass is standing more, or a day later the difference is even more apparent. then, of course, what everyone else said above.