PDA

View Full Version : Hardscape Material Pricing Same for Homeowner as Contractor

mbella
03-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Why can a homeowner buy hardscape materials for the same price as a contractor?

kris
03-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Not our supplier Mike ... I think that is just plain wrong.

CNYScapes
03-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Our supplier only charges about a .30 sf difference for brick pavers. So on a 100 sf walkway, he only pays another 30 bucks. Whoopy doo. They should pay more.

GreenMonster
03-12-2005, 01:50 PM
There's one around here that charges contractors and homeowners the same.

I ain't buyin' there. :nono:

Mdirrigation
03-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Because a small contractor doesnt buy enough to have the leverage to negotiate price .

mbella
03-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Because a small contractor doesnt buy enough to have the leverage to negotiate price .

That is true with other materials. However, with hardscaping, specifically pavers, I don't think it is. I know that EP Henry will negotiate pricing on specific jobs, but not across the board. Guess what the square foot threshold is for negotiating paver pricing, 5,000 square feet. That's 5,000 sq.ft. on one job. How many of you guys regularly do installs of that scope? I know I don't.

MidAtlantic
03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Is your supplier a retail nursery or distributor? Remember volume always equals better pricing in any industry. If your buying the same quantities as a home owner each time then they are going to charge you accordingly. If they price product to the homeowners too high as a retail location then they will just go somewhere else. They are in the business to make money just like you and I. Plus if the homeowner wants to go buy the product then let them install it. Your only competing against the do-it-yourselfers price wise and those people aren't the ones you usually do business with. For every one of those theres 100 other people that need a contractor to do it. Its not a big deal.

If you can its better to buy in truck load volume straight from the factory. I know you can get better rates with EP and Hanover. We won't order anything unless we can fill a truck. You need to either sell yourself to your supplier to negotiate smaller quantity discounts promising higher volumes in the near future or up your quantity and force them to lower their price or you will do biz elsewhere.

mbella
03-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Is your supplier a retail nursery or distributor? Remember volume always equals better pricing in any industry. If your buying the same quantities as a home owner each time then they are going to charge you accordingly. If they price product to the homeowners too high as a retail location then they will just go somewhere else. They are in the business to make money just like you and I. Plus if the homeowner wants to go buy the product then let them install it. Your only competing against the do-it-yourselfers price wise and those people aren't the ones you usually do business with. For every one of those theres 100 other people that need a contractor to do it. Its not a big deal.

If you can its better to buy in truck load volume straight from the factory. I know you can get better rates with EP and Hanover. We won't order anything unless we can fill a truck. You need to either sell yourself to your supplier to negotiate smaller quantity discounts promising higher volumes in the near future or up your quantity and force them to lower their price or you will do biz elsewhere.

My supplier is a retailer/wholesaler and the cheapest in my area. I do get a discount, the same one all of the contractor's get. It is peanuts. On EP Henry Cov. 1, it is about .17 p sq. ft. However, there are numerous other vendors in the area that don't give any discount.

Are you saying that you buy direct from EP Henry? The ability to do that would be news to me.

Don't take this thread the wrong way, I'm not worried about this issue putting me out of business or really hurting me. I am just curious why?

MidAtlantic
03-12-2005, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=mbella]My supplier is a retailer/wholesaler and the cheapest in my area. I do get a discount, the same one all of the contractor's get. It is peanuts. On EP Henry Cov. 1, it is about .17 p sq. ft. However, there are numerous other vendors in the area that don't give any discount.

Are you saying that you buy direct from EP Henry? The ability to do that would be news to me.

Don't take this thread the wrong way, I'm not worried about this issue putting me out of business or really hurting me. I am just curious why?[/QUOT

As far as I know only distributors can buy direct from EP. We buy through a brick supplier locally but our shipments come directly from EP since they are truck load so our supplier doesn't even have to touch it. That is where the savings is. With Hanover you can buy direct.

What are you paying for your coventry I and brick stone?

mbella
03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Ok. Now I see what you're saying.

Cov. 1- $3.18 sq. ft. Brickstone-$2.12 sq. ft.

Who's paying for your shipping?

MidAtlantic
03-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok. Now I see what you're saying.

Cov. 1- $3.18 sq. ft. Brickstone-$2.12 sq. ft.

Who's paying for your shipping?

We are paying in the just shy of less than $3.00 for coventry I delivered to our shop but from what I hear our supplier is going to hit us for a 15% increase in a couple months. We do between on average 125k-150k+ a year with them in materials. We were able to get them to hold 2003 prices in 2004. They have been trying to increase their prices since 3rd quarter 2004 but we wouldn't let them. We will be negotiating with a new supplier and or brand if this is the case. I know Hanover was coming in much less delivered.

If they want our business they have to keep us competitive.

mbella
03-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Last year, I paid $2.95 sq. ft. for Cov. 1. Everybody got hit with an increase this year. Originally, I gave you my 2005 pricing which sounds like it is less than you will be paying.

My supplier is about 10 minutes from one of EP Henry's plants. So, the orders usually come direct from the plant anyway and I don't have to store the materials.

MidAtlantic
03-12-2005, 04:48 PM
So your pricing really isn't that bad. Guess it helps being minutes away from EP. We are all the way down in Northern Virginia so our pricing reflects all the freight. Plus from what I hear now EP is opening a stocking warehouse somewhere in Maryland and all shipments will have to go first then get loaded on another truck to before coming to us. Which is the reason for our increase. If it happens we will have to move onto another supplier or brand.

We like to stock up an inventory of pavers, block, stone veneer, sands, crushed stone, portland and all other materials and tools so we do not have to waste production time by sending a truck or crew to pick up materials from suppliers. Too much waiting and down time for us. If the job is big enough we would just have the delivery go straight to the job. When you have a handful of crews doing hardscape each day its a lot easier controlling the flow of materials when you have it instock....

mbella
03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm not complaining about my pricing, just curious why homeowner's get the same price.

Mid Atlantic, are you doing commercial and residential paving?

bigviclbi
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm paying 3.52 for coventry brickstone. Actually that is what thet want to charge, I won't go through my local dealer this year. I have a comp. called anchor who will deliver to site for free, and their non-tumbled pavers like a cobble series I can get for 1.80 a sq. foot. I remember last year a dealer from about 80 miles away gave me a cheaper price than my local comp. Anchor pavers are taking over the market near me.

MOlawnman
03-17-2005, 11:51 PM
I had a supplier that charged me the same as the homeowner. I used him on one job and then switched. I asked him about charging a contractors discount and he just said he couldn's afford to lower his prices for contracctors. Well he doesn't have to worry about that with me anymore..............