PDA

View Full Version : floating vs fixed deck?

cgreen454
03-12-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm new to the site, and everyone has been EXTREMELY helpful. My question of the day is, what are the major differences between the floating and fixed decks? Advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks.

Chris

chefdrp
03-12-2005, 01:25 PM
well a floating deck follows the contour on the ground. A fix deck is just that. dosent float up and down. You can raise and lower a float deck easier than a fixed one. Fixed in my opinionis not for me. I would go for a float deck cause the lawns i do are not completly flat.Do you need to change hieghts to make different clients happy? then a float deck is better. Hope this helps.

LB1234
03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
For us, a floating deck is a must. There are some properties that we mow at different heights during the same week...occasionally in the same day. IMO, its easier/faster to change a floating deck height than a fixed. The floating deck all you have to do is pull four pins, adjust the deck height, pop the pin back in. Takes 5 minutes by yourself, about two if you have a helper.

cgreen454
03-12-2005, 02:37 PM
That clears it up. Great help as always. Thanks guys.

Chris

naturescape
03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
What seems to always be forgotten, however, is that quickly adjusting the deck to a higher cut takes the "floating" part out of the mower. All the anti-scalp wheels also must be adjusted as well -- then it's no longer "quick-adjust".

My next deck will probably be a fixed deck, these floating decks are simply a way for the manufacturers to raise prices a thousand bucks a machine.

Mark McC
03-12-2005, 07:43 PM
What seems to always be forgotten, however, is that quickly adjusting the deck to a higher cut takes the "floating" part out of the mower. All the anti-scalp wheels also must be adjusted as well -- then it's no longer "quick-adjust".

I see what you mean about adjusting the anti-scalp wheels, but it doesn't strike me as a big deal to leave the wheels where they are when changing the cut height. Assuming the ground isn't absolutely lumpy, any difference in performance is negligible. If that wasn't the case, we'd hear about it, trust me.

If the ground is lumpy enough to make that kind of difference, a fixed deck is an even worse proposition yet, so I don't see your point.

naturescape
03-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I see what you mean about adjusting the anti-scalp wheels, but it doesn't strike me as a big deal to leave the wheels where they are when changing the cut height. Assuming the ground isn't absolutely lumpy, any difference in performance is negligible. If that wasn't the case, we'd hear about it, trust me.

If the ground is lumpy enough to make that kind of difference, a fixed deck is an even worse proposition yet, so I don't see your point.

It's just that where the floating deck IS needed, the quick adjust is not quick at all. And everybody forgets that.

Mark McC
03-12-2005, 08:30 PM
It is quicker if you're not wacked enough to sweat things like changing the set of the anti-scalp rollers every time.

naturescape
03-12-2005, 08:34 PM
It is quicker if you're not wacked enough to sweat things like changing the set of the anti-scalp rollers every time.

Oh I almost never change the a.s. rollers on mine, but then again, on rough terrain it doesn't float anymore either. LOL

LB1234
03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Haven't adjusted the anti-scalp rollers since the day it rolled onto the first property. I dunno, guess with my lawns it really doesn't matter...I just don't scalp them.

Good point though.

dishboy
03-13-2005, 02:15 AM
IMO the MAJOR advantage to a floating deck that hangs from threaded rods as Exmark TTHP, is that you can set your deck rake, adjust your deck rake, and experiment with your deck rake, and have your deck rake remain constant no matter what height you are at. If you are anal about quality of cut issues this is the only way to go. Some don't know the difference between a dialed in cut and a hack job so a fixed deck will suffice.

MTR
03-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Fixed deck is pain to change height, also pain to chain blades...long bolts to the top compared with floater ' shorter bolt. The issue of quickly blowing clippings off the deck both top and underneath deck easily on floater is enough to get floater. Try to blow fixed deck, forget it.