PDA

View Full Version : Well heck............

Carolina Cutter
03-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Went and put out some more intersection signs today. Hope that gets the phone ringing.

But really what is going on around here. The grass is STILL dormant. I was cutting 6" grass this time of year last year. This is really getting frustrating and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing I can do about it.

Cmon Mother Nature...give a guy a break!

proenterprises
03-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I have often wondered...is that okay to do? I would love to stick some signs at the end of highway exit ramps...etc

KINGjosh
03-12-2005, 03:04 PM
What do you think the best days to do those are? I figure they'll only last a day if that. And what did you put on it to get attention?

proenterprises
03-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I was thinking those yard signs. I think you can get them off ebay, but Im not exactly sure what kind of signs your talking about?

LawnsRUsInc.
03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
We put one out last year and it was stolen. Worst $50 of advertising.

KINGjosh
03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah the signs that people put out at exit ramps. How long do you think they will last before some one takes them down?

rodfather
03-12-2005, 03:54 PM
My question is, "Is it legal?"

stumper1620
03-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Went and put out some more intersection signs today. Hope that gets the phone ringing.

But really what is going on around here. The grass is STILL dormant. I was cutting 6" grass this time of year last year. This is really getting frustrating and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing I can do about it.

at least you see grass, I gotta go plow again.

KINGjosh
03-12-2005, 04:18 PM

Thats the question of the day! If it isn't, the penalty must not be that high. Cause
i see them all the time

Evergreenpros
03-12-2005, 04:42 PM

I believe they treat them like political advertisments. It's ok to put them up but you are responsible to pick them up as well. If they are littering up the place because nobody tends to them I think they can nail you for littering, and in Washington State I think the fine is about $1000 or more now. $1025 for a lit cig and $1000/90 days in jail for 1 cubic foot of trash to 1 cubic yard of trash, ouch. (I just checked)

Highly doubt any officer would write a ticket like that, they tend to have more sense than the politicians who pass such laws.

kalyeah
03-12-2005, 04:42 PM
who's gonna stop and write the number down? Maybe if you catch them at a red light...maybe.

KINGjosh
03-12-2005, 05:22 PM
who's gonna stop and write the number down? Maybe if you catch them at a red light...maybe.
Thats what we're talking about. Although i have seen some posted in some pretty ridiculous spots

Mark McC
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
If you want to avoid surprises like this late growing season in the future, I suggest you consult with websites like the one that the hyperlink below will take you to.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

MMLawn
03-12-2005, 09:31 PM

Hey Merlin, you do know that, that is illegal in the State of North Carolina correct?

CamLand
03-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Michigan you have to have permit to even put on street corner..

Carolina Cutter
03-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey Merlin, you do know that, that is illegal in the State of North Carolina correct?

I dont think you are correct otherwise why would individual citys and towns have to enacte ordinances against people doing it? I live in a country type area so I dont have any local jurisdiction about it.

I tell you what though....my brother is a sheriffs deputy for the next county over and I will have him research it and let eveyone know.

If it is against the law there are a lot of law breakers......every company just about and every yard sale.....LOL

I will let you know when he finds anything.

MMLawn
03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I dont think you are correct otherwise why would individual citys and towns have to enacte ordinances against people doing it? I live in a country type area so I dont have any local jurisdiction about it.

I tell you what though....my brother is a sheriffs deputy for the next county over and I will have him research it and let eveyone know.

If it is against the law there are a lot of law breakers......every company just about and every yard sale.....LOL

I will let you know when he finds anything.

I KNOW I am correct Merlin, I was in Law Enforcement in NC for 25 Years (I can give you the NCGS if you'd like). State law states that NO signs can be placed within the State DOT Right of Way (Read: County roads) which is normally 100' from the center line, except in cases DOT has extended it for new roads or improvement. The reason cities and towns passed the same ordinances is to 1) be in compliance with state DOT laws and 2) because they are so unsightly.

And YES there are tons of law breakers as you said doing it with company and yard sale signs, but it is still illegal and most of all I think, Unsightly.

Carolina Cutter
03-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I KNOW I am correct Merlin, I was in Law Enforcement in NC for 25 Years (I can give you the NCGS if you'd like). State law states that NO signs can be placed within the State DOT Right of Way (Read: County roads) which is normally 100' from the center line, except in cases DOT has extended it for new roads or improvement. The reason cities and towns passed the same ordinances is to 1) be in compliance with state DOT laws and 2) because they are so unsightly.

And YES there are tons of law breakers as you said doing it with company and yard sale signs, but it is still illegal and most of all I think, Unsightly.

I would like to read it if you can tell me what it is. I didnt know that and I hope you didnt take offense to my post. I wasnt trying to "call you out" but I always like to confirm everything I read. Thanks and if you can get me the number I would like to read it.

Anthony-MB
03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I know a store owner who puts up his signs in early morning
then takes them down at night.

but he won't do it on the weekend - thats when the sign patrols becomes active

MMLawn
03-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Merlin, yeah I know you weren't and I wasn't dissing you at all either just letting you know. I will pulled the NCGS and give it to you. ALso I "think" I remember the DOT website that also has it and that is below.

www.doh.dot.state.nc.us

CelticGreens
03-12-2005, 10:37 PM
In new jersey, its very illegal. there are large penalties for it. any tree or telephone poll or street light pole is town/state/govt owned and considered vandilism. the only signs allowed up are for garage sales, and you have to let the town know: how many your putting up, where exactly they are going, and the exact time you have to take them down.just my 2cents

j fisher
03-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I saw several signs at intersections last year that simply said "I cut grass", and a Ph. #. Thought about putting one beside them that said " Yea, but I do it better" with my #. Bigger sign, bigger letters.

Merlin, I hope there not you signs. HaHa.

Carolina Cutter
03-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I saw several signs at intersections last year that simply said "I cut grass", and a Ph. #. Thought about putting one beside them that said " Yea, but I do it better" with my #. Bigger sign, bigger letters.

Merlin, I hope there not you signs. HaHa.

No they are not mine but I saw them too. I thought the same thing...haha