PDA

View Full Version : employee help

bilelt9411
03-12-2005, 05:07 PM
One of my employee's just ask me if it was alright if he picks up yards to do on sunday ( our only day off in the summer ) what do you think about employees competeing against you for business.

Mowman29
03-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Never Fire Him

Mountain Peak
03-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I always mention to my employess the expense of actually running a business; insurance, workers comp, accounting fees. To stop this kind of behavior I started a bonus plan for my guys picking up extra lawns for me. I give them half of the first mowing cost for a new monthy customer after the customer pays the first bill. This has sparked the boys to talk to people on the side about using my services. If they can sell a few extra yards it can be a nice little bonus for them.
I agree, I wouldn't fire him, he seems to be the type that is looking for something extra and would be come competition. Make it worth his while to stick around and help build your business.

stuie
03-12-2005, 06:47 PM
At least he had the decency to ask you if it was ok if he did.Most others wouldnt even bother and just go do it.

lawnlubber
03-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I would encourage him if he is serious. That is he means to set up his own business and pay taxes. It could be very useful to be able to decide when employee X is an employee and when he is a sub-contractor. Otherwise pay him a bonus on the extra work he turns over to you.

nobagger
03-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Not a good idea I think. Soon he will be getting more and more. Kind of like that old saying once that bear gets a taste for blood now hes a man eater, or something like that LOL. I think once he gets a taste of all the money going to him then he will think why do I need to be working for someone else. I use a bonus plan like Mountain Peak said. This is a good plan it keeps them happy while gaining business for me. Thers too much competition out there without creating some more.

Evergreenpros
03-12-2005, 07:29 PM
One of my employee's just ask me if it was alright if he picks up yards to do on sunday ( our only day off in the summer ) what do you think about employees competeing against you for business.

It never works. Pretty soon he'll be calling in sick to take a M - F yard clean up on his own. If he wants to start a business tell him:

1. Save money
2. Advertise
3. Get together some equipment
4. Start plugging away

As long as he's working for you, he should be working for you.

gqnine44
03-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I have had guys do work for my exisisting customers that I wasnt very happy about. One guy arranged to be paid on the side for killing moles (a service we dont offer). I told him he should have asked me first and I dipped my beak in his profits. He was charging like $35 a mole so I made him pay me $20 a mole and told him not to do it again.

Also there is legal precedent to support employers who have employees become competitors, even without no-compete contracts. Employees have a fudiciary responsiblility to put the employer first. Your employee is doing the right thing by asking your permission. I would tell him to stay off my turf and far from my customer base.

ECS
03-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Conflict of Interest. Give incentive for getting lawns for you. I also give your employee a lot of credit for coming to you first.

rodfather
03-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I think that it's nice he asked you first, but can you dictate what he does on his day (Sunday) off? I don't think so.

MacPhersonlawn
03-13-2005, 01:29 PM
I tell my employees that I will give them $25 for every lawn customer they bring in & who pays at the 1st monthly billing. I hope that it helps keeping them working just for me. I don't think I can stop them from working on thier own but it better not be with any of my existing customers. If I find that I will terminate them.

Appalachian landscape
03-13-2005, 01:38 PM
as long as he stays away from your customers and doesn't approach them and try to undercut you, I don't think it's your business what he does in his off time. how would you like it if someone told you what you could or could not do with your time, it's not like you own him he just works for you.

rkk95
03-13-2005, 01:51 PM
I agree that you can not stop him from doing what he wants with his own time, but the problem would be if a potential customer comes up to him while he is working for you. Who do you think will end up servicing that property?

Appalachian landscape
03-13-2005, 01:55 PM
If he's on your clock it's your business. Do what you want in your own time (after work and days off) but don't take from me when i'm paying you. I worked for a guy who wasn't taking any new customers and he would turn around and ask us if we wanted the account.

ECS
03-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I think it goes beyond whether it is your time or his time when he is off. There comes a time for proper work ethics and employer loyalty everywhere, and I believe that this is one of those times. If the person wants to go out on his own, then that is what they should do. If that same person worked for Hustler full time, how long do you think they would last if they worked PT for Exmark?

Mowgli
03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I think that it's nice he asked you first, but can you dictate what he does on his day (Sunday) off? I don't think so.

I'm with you rodfather.

dforbes
03-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm with you rodfather.

I also agree with rodfather. However my concern would be that he may be using your company name as referance. If there is a problem and he has no insurance it could come back to haunt you. I would give him a piece of paper to have the customer sign that says if there is a problem that they will not hold you responsable. I know this sound stupid but you have to protect yourself. My wife works for an inusrance company and these kind of claims do happen.

txlawnking
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
What an employee does on HIS time is HIS business, Not yours.

" I'll make him do this or I'll say that" ... Yeah, right.. Now if he was using your equipment, or targeting your customers while you are paying him, then , yeah, I'd say you have a legitimate concern, Otherwise, It ain't up to you what an employee does on their time.

old dog
03-13-2005, 10:06 PM
First,he is honest.Second ,he needs(or wants) more money .Ever think of training
him for a better paying job in your business.Has already shown he thinks ahead!

gqnine44
03-13-2005, 10:13 PM
If it negatively affects your business in any way you COULD legally, at least try to stop him, even on his day off. There is legal precedent to back this up. I dont think you should go wtih this option but it isnt always true that an employee can do what he wants on his days off. This also depends on the employee's level of knowledge, if he knows your secrets or is considered a "key employee" he is further restricted