PDA

View Full Version : ? on bid

clncut
03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Im figuring a bid for a residence. They want there beds cleaned out, lawn cleared of leaves and 3 yrds of mulch put down. Went and looked at the yard today and found moderate clean up in beds needed and lawn looks pretty clear of leaves, branches ect. except for a few areas where leaves have collected against the structures. Mulch will be added with no edging needed. Im figuring about 3 hrs total clean up time if that.

Im coming up with a price of 450.00 including laying 3 yards of mulch. What did you guys come up with. My overhead is relatively low so please dont think Im trying to lowball here if my price is not close to yours. Just was curious as to how close I came to you guys.

Turf Dancer
03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Sounds high to me! We would get far less than most on lawnsite. That would be about $275 here

clncut
03-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Dancer

Anyone Else?

rockandroller
03-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I just did a bed and lawn clean-up, spread 4.5 yds mulch, and applied starter fert on a small front lawn for $450. Hope this helps

Precision
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Just finished a lawn clean up. Pretty big job for a 1/4 acre. Lots of deferred maintenance. 2 guys 6 hours. 12 man hours. Will be installing 6 yards of mulch (my cost $30/yd) on Monday 2 man hours. So 14 man hours plus $180 for mulch and I am getting paid $1200. $85 per man hour.

Clean ups get charged way more than mowing. People don't have the illusion that they will do it themselves. They didn't and that is why the lawn looks the way it does. That is why they called you. Price it for some REAL profit or don't bother. With my prices I still land 50%+ of my estimates.

And who cares that your overhead is low. You should still charge what the market will bear. If not you only cheated yourself. Low overhead should be why you are more profitable, not why you are cheaper. THINK ABOUT IT.

Do you want to work more for less, or less for more?

clncut
03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
And who cares that your overhead is low. You should still charge what the market will bear. If not you only cheated yourself. Low overhead should be why you are more profitable, not why you are cheaper. THINK ABOUT IT.

I am charging what the market can bare. I just wanted to see if I was close to any of you guys. There are tons of lcos in this area so I do have to adjust my cost slighty to stay competative or take the risk of loosing customers. My overhead is low so Im able to adjust my costs per hour and still make a decent profit and did not give you guys the impression of lowballing. Thanks for all your input. Anyone else?

Norm Al
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
charge them $900.00

bobbygedd
03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
boys, you don't know his operating costs. me personally, if i had to charge hourly, i'd go $60 an hr for the cleanup, $65 per yd on the mulch. that's $370. the mulch would cost about $40. that leaves me $330 for roughly 4 hrs work, minus op costs of about $30 (half day).

Precision
03-13-2005, 10:48 AM
charging clean ups hourly is insane. come up with a package price and bid it that way. Customer has a definate price. You know what you are getting. It makes you pay attention and learn from your mistakes. Trust me you will make them. BUT if you are trying to price them properly, you will make mistakes for and against you. So it will even out and you will get better at pricing and more importantly at selling.

Once you get over the idea that you are selling clean ups, mowing, fertilizing and realize you are selling convinence things get a lot easier.

As someone once said on here. If the client only wanted the grass cut they would hire the 10 year old from down the street. What they really want is the grass cut and a guy they know is coming every week. Someone they know isn't going to leave winrows, isn't going to quit when it gets hot, has insurance incase something happens, can spot chinch bugs, mole crickets, snow mold or whatever before the entire lawn is ruined.

For that people pay the $45 - $75 per hour.

DennisF
03-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Lets say the mulch will cost you $30 per yard. Thats $90 for the mulch leaving $360 for labor time. The clean-up time is 3 hours, the mulch will take about 2 hours to install (solo), so that means a total of 5 hours work.

$360 / 5 hours = $72 per hour.

If you can bill time at that rate..I say go for it.

clncut
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I spoke with the customer last night and sold the job for 450.00 I appriciate all of your responses and will take note of them. Now if I could just get some warmer weather around here!

John