PDA

View Full Version : Can I upgrade a mower engine for more preformance?

Appalachian landscape
03-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I know it's possible to upgrade any type of vehicle engine, but can you upgrade a mower engine for a couple of extra horses?

CamLand
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
what is it you are trying to do, i.e what kind of machine engine on it now?

Appalachian landscape
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm not really trying to do it. I'm just curious. but I have a 15hp kawa twin cylinder

txlawnking
03-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I know it's possible to upgrade any type of vehicle engine, but can you upgrade a mower engine for a couple of extra horses?

O f course it's possible, but it will probly cost you in reliability. On the example of a mower, say you've got a 32" with a 12.5 horse, and it gives up the ghost. Fer shure I'd upgrade it with a 15 hp when I swap engines. Within reason, swapping for an engine with more displacement will be the best choice every time.. Just remember, ( when "hot rodding" ) the candle that burns twice as brite burns half as long...

Appalachian landscape
03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I just thought it would be neat if there was an upgraded air intake and an exhaust system that would out perform the factory set up. Something simple like you can do to a car or motorcycle.

txlawnking
03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Some engine " families " have different hp rating for the same displacement, ( Kohler Command for example ), But I think the difference could be attributed to changes like cam, C. R. , especially carb size and calibration, etc..

Critical Care
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
It's not always that easy. I couldn't figure out how to install the high lift cam on the mower and so I went to installing a B&M 420 MegaBlower but that wasn't good enough, so then came the nitrous...

Had to go out and purchase a new pair of pants after that.

traman
03-12-2005, 09:57 PM
most hot rod parts are for briggs and stratton engines ,they are used in jr. drag racing nhra

pjslawncare/landscap
03-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Commercial and industrial engines are built for #1 dependability, #2 efficiency. Boosting the power defeats both mentioned purposes and introduces higher operating temps. Hopping up cars & bikes and such is a common procedure because they fall more into the toy class and not necessarily used to earn $$. Swapping to a bigger motor when the original one wears out makes much more sence. Granted, there may be ways to increase power in a sensable way thru improving intake like fuel injection that will increase efficiency and retain reliability, but it is very costly. A good K & N air filter may be about the only cost effective way to gain a little HP but may be hardly noticable