PDA

View Full Version : Bark Blowers

redoak77
03-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have a Finn Bark Blower? If so how do u like it, and how much do the models cost?

redoak77
03-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Anyone have one of these?

Groundcover Solutions
03-13-2005, 03:15 PM
We run all EB trucks so I can't tell you about the Finn machaines. The EB units range in price you can get an idea of price at there site. Just go to the equipment page and click on used equipment. www.expressblower.com

Groundcover Solutions
03-13-2005, 03:17 PM
You would also probably get more of a response if you posted in the maint or landscaping forum. most of the blower truck guys keep an eye on thoughs and not the mowing forum.

mdb landscaping
03-13-2005, 03:56 PM
we have a finn......we like it. we keep it busy year round. only thing we do is switch out the air locks once a season. they dont seem to last that long, so we constantly have a newly built one on the shelf so we have no down time. we have a unit that holds about 20 yards heaped. im not sure if you are talkign about the small trailer models or the bigger units.

redoak77
03-13-2005, 09:21 PM
how many yards can be put down in a day with a 40 yard truck?

Groundcover Solutions
03-13-2005, 10:29 PM
If you are talking about the 40 yard EB units there are several variables to consider. All jobs are going do differ based on distance from truck size of beds, clean up time and so on. During our busy season we shoot for 120 yards per day that is two loads with our 60 yard trucks. Now with a 40 you are going to do less do to loading of your material. Now on some jobs things are different, we do all of the major airports around our two locations Detroit metro, Ford international (grand rapids), Oakland county air port... and the list goes on. Most of these jobs have extremely large beds for example the Ford international we were doing a new install the beds were so large that we were putting down 6-10 truck loads per bed. When you are doing work like this you can expect to increase your productivity we were doing around 3 loads which ='s 180 yards by 5pm. This was during our late season so we would finish earlier in the day. During the busy season we run from 5am till dark which is typically around 9pm. So an average job site (60 yards) you are looking at anywhere from 3 to 6 hours to complete due to clean up, difficulty/size of beds, and other miscellaneous reasons. you also have to consider tree rings which are the most time consuming but the least material consuming part of the biz. I could go on for pages on all of this but there is a ton to consider when looking at yardage per day. Oh it also depends on your crew how good they are and such. We run three man crews whenever possible this way you have one guy doing constant clean up, one running the truck, and the third helping maneuver the hose and helping the clean up guy.

Turf Dancer
03-14-2005, 05:31 AM
Those blowers are expensive!

Sean Adams
03-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Never owned one....thought about it but was skeptical when demoing a few and there were problems that hurt production on those particular days....but those were used units owned by other companies we were working with. Then we hooked up with a nursery a few years back and their machine (think it was a Finn) was in top working condition and man oh man, what a difference. Find someone who has one. See if you can work some sort of deal...you help them (labor) and swap for the machine for a day, or whatever. Definitely an eye-opener. :dizzy:

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
This is why I feel it is system works much better as a stand alone service. I can direct all my attention to the truck and company rather than trying to run to separate companies. This type of investment warrants you giving it a good amount of attention. When you are not connected with a landscaping company you can also generate a little more biz. I know I have gained a few of my clients because they did not like the idea of paying there competition to put there materials down. All the other blower companies in my area are owned by large landscaping companies.

old dog
03-14-2005, 06:19 PM
This is why I feel it is system works much better as a stand alone service. I can direct all my attention to the truck and company rather than trying to run to separate companies. This type of investment warrants you giving it a good amount of attention. When you are not connected with a landscaping company you can also generate a little more biz. I know I have gained a few of my clients because they did not like the idea of paying there competition to put there materials down. All the other blower companies in my area are owned by large landscaping companies.
Do you have to blow mulch in deeper than if you hand apply.In other words,do you get settling more than hand app(wheelbarrow and rake)?Do you subcontract
for someone who can't handle a real big job -how much per yard as a sub?
I don't do enough to buy a blower but might want to get some big mowing jobs and sub out bed maintenance,that is why I ask.Also,do you do weed control
as a pre-em with or before you mulch? Do you do follow-up weed control
through the season?

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2005, 09:34 PM
On the mulching side we do not do any weed control. We do sub work for most of the large landscaping companies. Price per yard is based on the conditions of the site we are working there are several variables. Also you do not need to blow down more material than you would use by hand in all actuality we typically use a considerably less amount of material when compared to hand applying. This is because we are able to more evenly apply the material over the area.

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Thought I would post the link to the express blower refferal network incasse you want to look up a company in your area. www.mulchblower.com

old dog
03-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Thought I would post the link to the express blower refferal network incasse you want to look up a company in your area. www.mulchblower.com
Thanks,not sure I want to open another big investment in a bark blower right now.The company I do business with now in mulch has a blower and I will
certainly check with them.I do some mowing on props they already otherwise
maintain and we get along well.In any subcontract situation ,we want to implicitly trust our "business partner".They do complete weed control all season long.They convinced me to do it too.You will need someone certified in
pest and weed control and who can inject trees.You might want to make it
an add-on to existing customer!

Triple L
03-15-2005, 09:47 PM
do you ever have he hose get clogged. hay, wheres that referal network on the website, could not find it. What do you guys think of the Mulch Mule. pretty expesive $40,000 for a trailer. do you think a blower is better?

Groundcover Solutions
03-16-2005, 01:11 AM
sorry i gave the wrong website that is the EB site the referral is at www.mulchblowing.com As far as clogs yes we do run it to that occasionaly. Most of the time it is due to larger material getting stuck vertically and then causing a clog it is quick and easy to fix. Some times you get them due to operator error such as not enough air and too much material. But once you get the controls down you can tell when you might get one and can quickly up your air or decrease your material.