PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on cheaper Zero Turns

AboveTheCut
03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
I currently have only walk behinds (Scag and Exmark) but would like to purchase a Zero Turn this year. I have been looking at used Exmarks but I'm trying to keep the cost down. I was in Sears today and saw a Craftsman Zero Turn, 50" deck, 22 HP on sale for $2699. It doesn't look as strong as a Exmark but it sure is cheaper. I can't find anything on its top speed and I would hate to buy something like this and regret it. I guess I could always take it back if I didn't like it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LK05
03-13-2005, 12:17 AM
you would be better of burning your 2,600. You would still be out the cash either way but if you burned it you would have less aggravation...

MMLawn
03-13-2005, 12:21 AM
>>>I was in Sears today and saw a Craftsman Zero Turn, 50" deck, 22 HP on sale for $2699<<

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

touhey33
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
If you are looking for a cheap zero turn you'd be better off getting something like this. http://shopnow.secureonlinecart.com/store/?setstore=1016&store_id=1016. Better than getting a crapsman mower.

Classic
03-13-2005, 12:37 AM
you would be better of burning your 2,600. You would still be out the cash either way but if you burned it you would have less aggravation...

Nice!!

I agree completely.

Aaron Marshall
03-13-2005, 12:44 AM
You could also check out Lesco, I don't know what models they have that would fit your needs, and I wouldn't call them cheap, but more cost effective i guess, and always remember... you get what you pay for.

captken
03-13-2005, 12:53 AM
If you want a Z, then do not be intimidated by the '"fear factor" in purchasing your next mower. Why would you NOT consider a new Scag or Exmark Z? I would like to know. Don't be mislead by what you see out there...I could go on...cheaper is....well, cheaper...

Eho
03-13-2005, 12:58 AM
You get what you pay for...it might be a little more expensive now, but when it's still running great years from now, you ll be glad you got a NICE model, not one from Sears. I strongly suggest you get a commercial grade mower!
EHO

beransfixitinc
03-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I currently have only walk behinds (Scag and Exmark) but would like to purchase a Zero Turn this year. I have been looking at used Exmarks but I'm trying to keep the cost down. I was in Sears today and saw a Craftsman Zero Turn, 50" deck, 22 HP on sale for $2699. It doesn't look as strong as a Exmark but it sure is cheaper. I can't find anything on its top speed and I would hate to buy something like this and regret it. I guess I could always take it back if I didn't like it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please refer to the recent thread titled something about "Scrub or Pro" and it had a list.

Eddie B
03-13-2005, 06:39 AM
With the Craftsman they'll let you bring it back if you don't like it, even after 30 days. However, I've managed to break most of their products before 30 days. I'd look at something with a little more to it.

tfilbert
03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Last fall my Brother-in-law moved into new home in country they just build. On about 3 acres and and he asked about mowers. I tried so hard to convince him to go with a quality mower and gave him some pretty good info. Low and behold he goes to Sears and gets their top of the line $3,000.00 mower. I checked it out when I was at his house and told him it didn't pull right and he might want to get it checked out. After another two weeks he mentioned he had Sears out because mower wasn't running right. Tranny had failed halfway through cut and yard looked really bad for 3 weeks waiting on parts. I didn't laugh in his face but sure wanted to. You get what you pay for.
When it's your primary tool make it a good one. BTW I do own some cheap stuff and will probably buy more in the future but not for primary use.
Tim

Jpocket
03-13-2005, 07:47 AM
You'd be better off buying a 52" Hydro walk behind w/ zero turn sulky. As for a ztr Lesco is the cheapest RESPECTABLE rider, that craftsman is a joke don't be fooled.

Charles
03-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Crapsman? 2 words for you-- don't do it! That goes for chainsaws, blowers weedeaters etc
Their air compressors and tools are great

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Craftsman is OK for home use, but no more than that. Don't even think about buying one for commercial use. Can you wait 2-3 weeks for parts when it breaks down? Take that $3,000 and buy a 48" Exmark Metro and a sulky. You won't be dissapointed.

Mower Man
03-13-2005, 10:50 AM
There are newer more efficient designs, and good makers of mowers besides eXmark, and Scag.
High price doesn't always mean best value.

Costs Of Ownership aren't just what you pay for a 'working tool'. Factors are:
Initial purchase price,
Maintenance,
Repairs,
Fuel,
Depreciation,
Trade In,
Life cycle,
Productivity ( this can be very subjective),
Financing.

Above can be assigned real dollar values that affect profitability.

Good educating, and servicing dealership is a factor can put a real world value on it
New machines always have lower interest rates.

impactlandscaping
03-13-2005, 10:57 AM
You are in Frederick Maryland, right? Take a trip over to the Wright factory and see if you can get a good deal on a demo or scratch and dent Stander with that 3K...stay out of Sears!!!

beransfixitinc
03-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Craftsman is OK for home use, but no more than that. Don't even think about buying one for commercial use. Can you wait 2-3 weeks for parts when it breaks down? Take that $3,000 and buy a 48" Exmark Metro and a sulky. You won't be dissapointed.

2 to 3 weeks? Where do you get your AYP parts from?

dmc456
03-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Spend 3k on a good used "commercial" mower. Any mower with even 1000 hrs on it would be better than the junk sold at Sears. It would be find if you only used it once a week on your own property, but even then I would still get a used commercial.

The best thing about a use commercial is it won't depreciate. It already has since you purchased it used. If you get a piece of crap of Sears, once you buy it it is now worth only 10% of the new price.

Just my opinion.

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Beransfixitinc.....

Before I was part of the green industry, I owned some craftsman homeowner stuff, as did my parents. Anytime I had a problem, they would tell me to bring it in and they would send it off to be repaired, or they could order the part for me, which sometimes could take as much as 2 weeks to get. I have heard the same from others. This is not the kind of thing you want to be worring about when your paycheck depends on the equipment you use.

AboveTheCut
03-13-2005, 01:03 PM
This is why i posted this question. I will keep looking for a good used Laser. Basically, I found myself trying to save a little money since not much is coming in right now. I just bought a new tandem trailer the other day and a Dodge 3500 Diesel at the end of last season. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 01:04 PM
No problem, that's why we're here...LOL

SkookumToo
03-13-2005, 02:05 PM
If money is your issue and price is your guide. Try looking at others home owner models like Toro, Dixon, Snapper, and Dixie Chopper. They have similar priced models. Most of these would be able to service you better through a dealer with any repair issues like many posts warn about. I too would stay away from Sears on a ZTR due to just repair issues

Posts are correct about commercial use and the price involved. You get what you pay for in the long run. But what they do not tell you is that most did not buy the top of they line model when they bought. They might have been able to buy a deisel for $2,500 more, but opted not to shell out the extra bucks to be even more commercial. Be careful about spending if you do not have it to spend, we all hold back and usually opt for just alittle below top line, which can sometimes can mean difference between home model or commercial.

What is your long run, how much will you use it or abuse it over say 5 years. Will it save you time to where you can pick up more business or will you just haul it around on your trailer for looks. What I am trying to say is don't get caught up in the image thing. Could you pay for a home model this year and benefit from using it for say 2 years to save enough money to buy a new full commercial unit. Are you going to be looking for full commercial optional equipment or aftermarket equipment or are you just going to mow with it.

Be careful about buying used commercial equipment. I thought I read some posts that a good estimate on engine life was about 100 times the horsepower. A medium used commercial rider 3-4 years old might cost you more within a few days of owning it then you can afford if you could not afford a new one to begin with. Unless you know the original user, you really know nothing about what your buying. Just because it is a commercial mower does not mean it will last forever if so why is the other guy selling it.

When I mentioned getting caught up in image thing and just wanting a ZTR, I still have that problem and I have a commercial Toro ZTR. It is a older model before Toro bought Exmark. My model has a home model look even more so than today's home models, but it mows and gives a nice cut and saves me time and energy. I just have to keep telling myself, until it pukes I do not need something more commercial looking just to do my job. It's 6 years old now and still going strong.

With today's economy be smart get what you need and what you can afford to pay for now not later.

dmc456
03-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Cub Cadet has some nice ZTRs with up to the monster 33HP Generac that Dixie Chopper uses. They are offering 3 yrs 0% financing.

Mower Man
03-14-2005, 08:35 AM
SkookumToo pointed out an old company, Dixon which has some larger models named after Bears.

Not overbuilt by a long shot like some are, but they use commercial components, are well built, whole alot less money, and a 2-3 year warranty.

Excellent choice vs. used, especially for a newer business with a equipment debt load, and looking for positive cash flow.