PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned

tfilbert
03-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Thought I would share. I know many will say, yup I knew that but here goes. I have been working a bid on a small hotel that was recently bought by a new owner. This is being converted into a major upscale name. I'm not talking Red Roof Inn here. BTW it was word of mouth referral so I do have a foot in the door. It's not that large but nice. Anyway I put everything together and the owner ask if I knew anyone who could do sprinklers, large tree removal, and pool work. I told him I would get some good names to him. Honestly didn't know anyone I wanted to send his way but spent about 2 hours using networking contacts and found three (hopefully) good companies. Called all three and explained situation. Two have already made contact and third will be there Monday. The guy calls me after 6:00pm Saturday night and said "I'm still waiting on one more bid but I have already decided to go with you". He was very impressed I would help him get the other services lined up. The three other companies were very appreciative I contacted them and said would refer my way in the future; we shall see. Point is I have been unsure in the past about networking. I think at this stage being the go to guy is well worth my time and energy. The owner and I talked about other lawn care companies and I didn't say a bad word about any. I even said I liked the work several others do but gave a few reasons why I would provide personal service at a higher level. I did bid higher and can't say how but I did know the other bid. Don't have a clue on the last one out. It doesn't matter. I gave a fair estimate for the work requested and promised it would be ready, on time. Sorry to write so much but I have been overlooking the power of Networking. Anyone else made this connection?

David Grass
03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh yes, but I am lucky, I have worked with, and know 2 great landscape designers/installers, and know a great tree guy. They all do great work, and maybe even more importantly when getting "associated" with you, GREAT PERSONALITIES!!!!!!

Bull
03-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Oh yes, but I am lucky, I have worked with, and know 2 great landscape designers/installers, and know a great tree guy. They all do great work, and maybe even more importantly when getting "associated" with you, GREAT PERSONALITIES!!!!!!

I don't think I quite understand your comment here. Sounds like a pick up line to me??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Can you say "Deliverance"

aries
03-13-2005, 07:44 AM
I would say that networking is one of the best way's to and get referral's I also work with a sprinkler company and tree company and we all give our cards out! and found even if I do not pick up maintenance I do get other work out of it! Good luck, it will work!