PDA

View Full Version : Floating Deck

zinkjo
03-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Can I get away with a fixed deck on a 36" model and then spend the bucks on a floating deck for my 44/48" model?

Would a 36" fixed cause any scalping problems?

I only have 25 clients.

Flex-Deck
03-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I have a 36 fixed Viking, and it does well - IMO the only advantage of a floating deck is the ease of height adjustment.

traman
03-13-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a 36 fixed Viking, and it does well - IMO the only advantage of a floating deck is the ease of height adjustment.
i agree out of the 25 customers ,can you cut everybody at the same hight ,if so fix deck should be fine , down here i have to many customers of different heights from 2inch's to 4.5 inch's most fix decks cant adjust that much of a range ,they use Castor spacers ,with a floater they use 4 pins to adjust the height, only takes about 30 seconds and you can do it in the field ,no assist needed . and to be perficly honest a floating deck can still scalp ,time on the job is the key to not scalping

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Can I get away with a fixed deck on a 36" model and then spend the bucks on a floating deck for my 44/48" model?

Would a 36" fixed cause any scalping problems?

I only have 25 clients.
A 36" fixed deck should not have a problem with scalping unless the lawns that you are cutting are very, very uneven. I think your idea of a 36" fixed deck and a larger floating deck is a good idea.

captken
03-13-2005, 10:00 AM
but why limit yourself? This one has also been rehashed. Try a search [in the archives] to see the pros and cons.

Stripe This
03-13-2005, 10:15 PM
36" fixed deck should be fine. Especially if you know all your lawns and where the possible "trouble" spots are. You can avoid those spots and just do the touch up work w/ the trimmer. Down the road, as you grow, definitely look into a floating hydro walk behind. Huge difference.

Mark McC
03-13-2005, 10:21 PM
36" fixed deck should be fine. Especially if you know all your lawns and where the possible "trouble" spots are.

I agree, provided you're mowing them all at the same height, too.

cutrite
03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
i agree out of the 25 customers ,can you cut everybody at the same hight ,if so fix deck should be fine , down here i have to many customers of different heights from 2inch's to 4.5 inch's most fix decks cant adjust that much of a range ,they use Castor spacers ,with a floater they use 4 pins to adjust the height, only takes about 30 seconds and you can do it in the field ,no assist needed . and to be perficly honest a floating deck can still scalp ,time on the job is the key to not scalping
I don't understand the need help part of changing the height on a fixed deck?If I wanted I probably could change my fixed deck in 30seconds by myself. :cool2:

Kelly's Landscaping
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
I don't understand the need help part of changing the height on a fixed deck?If I wanted I probably could change my fixed deck in 30seconds by myself. :cool2:

Changing the washers on the front casters is not really changing the deck height properly. Iv done it we all have but have you not thought about it your raising the front but not the back so the back is still at the same height. So now you are cutting on a slant IMO it never cuts as well the only true way to change the height on a fixed is to remove the blades and change the washer configuration. And this I highly doubt your doing in 30 seconds in the field.

cutrite
03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Changing the washers on the front casters is not really changing the deck height properly. Iv done it we all have but have you not thought about it your raising the front but not the back so the back is still at the same height. So now you are cutting on a slant IMO it never cuts as well the only true way to change the height on a fixed is to remove the blades and change the washer configuration. And this I highly doubt your doing in 30 seconds in the field.
I've never seen a customer laying on their stomach measuring the angle of the cut of their grass. Your right about the blades though.Never had a floating deck sounds pretty nice though. :waving: