PDA

View Full Version : Bagging in wet conditions

greengiant9963
03-13-2005, 10:48 AM
I have a 60 inch exmark lazer z with a ultra vac bagging system. I have no complaints at all with the mower and vac when I am mowing in dry conditions or even when the grass is on the long side. I works great. But early in the morning especially in the spring when you have dew on the grass the vac clogs up on a consistant basis. I go much slower to in wet conditions but 9 times out of 10 it clogs on me. I like the mower but is there a mower with a vac system out there that works better in wet conditions. Or something I might try to make mowing wet grass easier. Thanks.

rodfather
03-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I like the mower but is there a mower with a vac system out there that works better in wet conditions. Or something I might try to make mowing wet grass easier. Thanks.

Not in the 11 years I've been doing this full time...you might try taking less of a cut width wise while slowing down too.

Jason Rose
03-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Where is it clogging? In the boot before the fan impeller or in the chute somewhere after that? If it's in the boot I'd suggest using hi-lift blades to give the wet stuff that extra kick to get it to the impeller. After the impeller cloggs could be related to your vent screen in the catcher being cloged over, but that likely wouldn't effect it given the bags are cloth and breathe... Sounds like slowing down is about the likely solution. I demoed an Exmark myself with the ultravac and I personally didn't like it for the clogging factor. I don't enjoy running my arm up to my shoulder into a piece of machinery every 5 minutes to clear a clog. That's an accident waiting to happen!!!

Mowing it the wet mornings is just one of those things we have to deal with, it's why I don't mulch. We have only about a months worth of days in a season that are dry in the mornings before 11:00 am. And dew actually makes the grass "wetter" than rain or irrigation. I hate it...

ECS
03-13-2005, 01:21 PM
When I was doing lawns for my past employer, I was using a Grashopper. If it was extremely wet, it would sometime clog at the inpeller and only took a sec to unclog. I have even bagged when the lawn was covered in ice. While bagging leaves, it started to sno just before I was done and bagged the snow also. Had to go slower and did a good job. Started to rain and hail in the middle of a lawn, bagged it all.

rodfather
03-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I have even bagged when the lawn was covered in ice.

If that was my lawn, that would be the last time you and your employer would set foot on my property. Period

Jason Rose
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Ice??? I don't even like to walk on a lawn with ice on it, crushes the cellular structure of the grass blades and leaves the nice brown look to everything that was stepped/driven on. I have however mowed in the snow before. Thse not so warm early spring or late fall clean-ups. Started and it was just cloudy but finished and it was white! Sure was funny to me at the time, and I'm sure anyone that saw me thought I was smoking something to be mowing while the snow is falling! tems were still above freezing so it was only sticking to the grass...

Mowing in the hail? No thanks, I have had enough head injuries already with out subjecting myself to hailstones.

rodfather
03-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Ice??? I don't even like to walk on a lawn with ice on it, crushes the cellular structure of the grass blades and leaves the nice brown look to everything that was stepped/driven on.

Exactly what I was thinking.

ECS
03-13-2005, 09:32 PM
First of all, I was responding to the original question.
I like the mower but is there a mower with a vac system out there that works better in wet conditions.
I guess I could have just as easily typed in Yes and said what one it was and left it at that. But I thought it only right to give examples. It is not like it is a common practice, but it has been done and the grass still looked fine and in fact did not have any brown spots what so ever. What I did was no different than a herd of elk crossing the ice covered grass and stepping on it with each elk weighing ib at roughly 500 pounds or the moose on the property over 1000 ponds. It was done and did not hurt the grass. I was in fact mowing after the sun came up and most of the lawn on that side of the complex was already thawed, and when I got to a place where the sun was blocked by a building and was still ice covered, I went ahead with my normal cut line and did it and no harm was done. We have below freezing temps sometimes up into July and up in the 50s by 10:00 AM and in the 70s and 80s by mid afternoon. It is not uncommon to have snow in July either. http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

rodfather, I don't think you will have to worry about me doing your lawn, being that you live about 2200 miles east of me, just too dang far to travel to do a lawn. :rolleyes: http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif