PDA

View Full Version : New chainsaw

freddyc
03-13-2005, 02:43 PM
OK, it's time for a new chainsaw....a small one for branches and very small trees (3" diameter).

I'm looking for opinions--- Husky or Echo?? Also, because its only for small stuff, I was thinking of a 16" bar.

Thanks.

grassyfras
03-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I know this isnt what your asking but I bought a stihl ms 250 and its a great all around saw if you have to cut down a whole tree. If you really are just doing small stuff only and never anything bigger just buy the cheapest climbing saw from echo or whatever other brand you want.

nobagger
03-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Freddyc we bought a chainsaw at the last minute type deal, all "commercial" stores were closed and I needed a chainsaw so I went to Home Depot, yes Home Depot and bought a Homelite 16" and a couple of extra chains and we have been using it for years now and no problems. Just remember the second you hit dirt they will be dull as hell.

freddyc
03-13-2005, 03:42 PM
nobagger

I was told the other day that the Homelites were not made to well. I guess your experience has been different.

Thanks. I also considered other brands...Poulan, Stihl.

I didn't like the looks of the Poulan too much but the Sthl seemed like a nice piece of equipment.

The Echo/Husky choice is mainly due to location of dealer for support if necessary. I hate driving 30 miles trying to get there before they close only to find out they don't have a part!

What kind of parts have you used on the Homelite??

Thanks.

Eddie B
03-13-2005, 03:46 PM
OK, it's time for a new chainsaw....a small one for branches and very small trees (3" diameter).

I'm looking for opinions--- Husky or Echo?? Also, because its only for small stuff, I was thinking of a 16" bar.

Thanks.

Have you seen the Echo pruner saws? Looks like a long string trimmer with a 12" chain saw on the end. They work pretty well.

nobagger
03-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Freddyc the only thing I have bought are 3 chains and a adjustment tool, (was left behind somewhere) but honestly that is the only thing I have bought. I used it on several occations from smaller trees to 15" diameter or so 3 story tall trees with no problems.

aries
03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I like the stihl chain saw that say's it all.

Classic
03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Echo makes a nice little chain saw.

I have had a CS-3450 with a 16" blade for several years now. Always starts and has plenty of power and is very light.

Stay away from Homelite and Poulan! Parts availabiltiy sucks!

TLM
03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
We have 12 Stihl saws. You can't go wrong, everyone has parts you need.
Everything else is ...well, NOT Stihl

ProCare Lawn Service
03-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I bought a 16in Homelite Ranger for $99 abought two months before the hurricane hit last year and it has cut fine. For the little things I will be cutting I could not have found a better saw.

drmiller100
03-13-2005, 07:12 PM
a logger guy told me to get any chainsaw i want as long as it is orange.

husky and stihl. i bought the farmer 055. use the heck out of it for all sorts of stuff. logs, trees, rail road ties, ice, dirt, trailers, carpentry.

only complaint is that when it is below zero farenheit the rope won't return so you can't start it. gotta set it on top of the motor for half an hour or so to thaw it out.

like the man said, lots of chains. I have 4 and a 12 volt sharpener. If just doing logs, i'll run it for about two tanks of gas, then touch it up with the sharpener once. two more tanks of gas, and it is time to swap it out.
i pay the man to sharpen them for me. 6 bucks each. my time is worth more then that, and when i get them back they cut faster, straighter, and better then when i do them.

big_country
03-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Are you ready for a Stihl?....enough said.

Classic
03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Are you ready for a Stihl?....enough said.

Are you ready for hard starting?...enough said.

Stihl is really slipping in my opinion. I wish that they would get it together becuase I have a good dealer not far from my shop!

o-so-n-so
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a Jonsered 2054 Turbo for limbing and small stuff. Very nice saw with a smaller chain and cuts very well. I have a mid range Stihl MS-310 and its a POS. Been in the shop many times and its still not right. Stihl makes a good saw, I've just had problems with mine. I have a Husqvarna 272XP for the large stuff. Its a man saw...and is a very nice saw.

I would rate by my experience.
1. Husqvarna
2. Jonsered
3. Stihl

They are all good stuff and I think you should buy with service and parts in mind.

ow man
03-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Ever tried the RedMax G3100? It comes in 12" or 14" It is a horizontal cylinder. Over the top handle bucket truck saw. It can be used one handed. In my area it sells for $199.95 Much cheeper than Echo or Sthil equivelent.
It's also really light weight. Check it out, www.redmax.com