PDA

View Full Version : Shovels, fiberglass or wood?

alpine692003
03-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Damn,

I never knew how expensive shovels can be until you start breaking them.. I went through so many shovels that I am sick of it :angry:

I started using a variety of shovels from Home Depot (Garant Ultra Grip) the grey ones and the copperhead fiberglass shovels..

What are some heavy duty shovels that will last? I know that I like the fiberglass better then the wooden ones,

Is the copperhead the better one then the ultra grip, both are from garant..

www.garant.com

Gmgbo
03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
fiberglass ones from sears. they are craftmen with a lifetime warrenty, if u break them u get new ones. I guess im a scrub because i bought shovels from sears? :angel: :cool:

prizeprop
03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I use the sears craftsman shovels, rakes,loppers etc.fiberglass handles. They rarely break and if they do I take them back for free replacement.There is only a 60 or 90 day gaurantee for contractors. So don't go there anouncing your a contractor.

PLM-1
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Sears as well. And when they start looking nasty, just start breaking! I get new ones every year!

Appalachian landscape
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I have a copperhead bow rake and the handles are freakin' tough. I was pulling barbed wire in a pile of brush the other day, and half the pile came with me. I started pulling so hard that my rake head was almost touching the handle and it showed no sign of breaking or permenant warping or damage.

AL Inc
03-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Another vote for Craftsman. Buy the tool once. The good yellow fiberglass handled tools have held up pretty well, and they don't get left behind as much because of the bright color.

alpine692003
03-13-2005, 04:08 PM
well, I've broken my 1st copperhead shovel the other day..

I just bought an ultra grip shovel, so i'll try that out..

After that, im going to test out craftsman fiberglasses..

nobagger
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Like Gmgbo said, Sears LIFETIME warranty! Great now there will be thread after thread on how we are scrubs because we are using Craftsman hand tools like stupid shovels and rakes. :blob3:

stumper1620
03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
fiberglass ones from sears. they are craftmen with a lifetime warrenty, if u break them u get new ones. I guess im a scrub because i bought shovels from sears? :angel: :cool:
excellent point, I bought my "lifetime warranty" fiberglass shovels from HD,
By the time I broke one. They had changed brands and the only way I could get a replacement was to send to the manufacturer & pay shipping both ways. Bought a new shovel. It was cheaper.
Next time I'll go to sears like you. Over the counter exchange, I never thought about that.

alpine692003
03-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Great, I'll give Sears Craftsman a shot!

I have like 15 shovels and I go through 1 shovel a month.

jajwrigh
03-13-2005, 04:54 PM
I use the sears craftsman shovels, rakes,loppers etc.fiberglass handles. They rarely break and if they do I take them back for free replacement.There is only a 60 or 90 day gaurantee for contractors. So don't go there anouncing your a contractor.

I went through 4 or 5 of their stick tools last year! Their product truly is garbage, but they were all replaced (some several times) without hassel. I was doing some digging the other day and spotted a 3" crack in the fiberglass hande. So for this year it begins... :realmad:

I am going to try stick tools from www.gemplers.com from now on.

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't make it into Sears very often, so I didn't realize they warranty their gardening tools the same as their other Craftsman brand of hand tools. Thanks for the info.... :waving:

bobbygedd
03-13-2005, 07:07 PM
learn how to use the shovels properly, and they won't break. :rolleyes:

PLM-1
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
learn how to use the shovels properly, and they won't break. :rolleyes:

We use ours for work! Not as a collections agent!

TURF DOCTOR
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Sears here also

bobbygedd
03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
well guess what, they are good for digging holes, edging beds, and a wack upside the skull. if u use them as a prybar, you deserve a broken shovel with a voided warrenty

TURF DOCTOR
03-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Sears here also

lawnguyland
03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
No no no, get all STEEL shovels and spades.

Planet Landscaping
03-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Craftsman fiberglass here. Alpine, Check pm please :waving:

paponte
03-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I second lawnguyland. Must be an Island thing. Gotta have some all steel shovels in the arsenal. They will run ya a little over $60.00 a pop, but they last forever. :)

Darryl G
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
I buy all fiberglass handled tools now. That way I only need to bring one shovel instead of 3. I like the Structron tools, been using them for 2 years and haven't broken one yet.

alpine692003
03-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Fiberglass is the way to go, wood is obsolete!
:waving:

Lawnchoice
03-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Never a scrub for buying stuff at Sears. You are a smart man ! :)

alpine692003
03-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Yah, I like some of Sears products.. such as their snow shovels, lol...

Todd's lawncare
03-14-2005, 03:29 AM
but have you ever gotten that fiberglass in your hand it don't ever come out

MacPhersonlawn
03-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Sears makes it clear that their policy does not apply to contractors. I have seen enough threads here where many members have gotten upset over customers who have tried to cheat them over all kinds of issues. I guess its just an ethics thing with me, I don't want my customers cheating me, and I won't cheat any of my suppliers. Break a shovel, buy a new one, its one of the costs of doing business.

Anybody else feel this way?

lawncare3
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Fiberglass. I got a razorback fiberglass shovel it costed about $30 for the spade. But my woodies always seem to be breakin in half.

The Captain
03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I agree with Todd. If you're going to use fiberglass handles, you'd best be using good leather gloves. Those glass splinters will drive you up a wall. We use only wood handles and have steel pry bars, sharp axes and picks for the "heavy" work.

Jim

Bray
03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Sears makes it clear that their policy does not apply to contractors. I have seen enough threads here where many members have gotten upset over customers who have tried to cheat them over all kinds of issues. I guess its just an ethics thing with me, I don't want my customers cheating me, and I won't cheat any of my suppliers. Break a shovel, buy a new one, its one of the costs of doing business.

Anybody else feel this way?

Exactly the way I feel.

MarcSmith
03-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I was going to jump on the steel band wagon...they might be heady, but chanses are you not going to break them....

Just keep in mind...Steel does conduct electricity.
AM leonard is getting into the steel rake and shovel game..... and life time warranty as well....

MarcSmith
03-14-2005, 02:01 PM
I was going to jump on the steel band wagon...they might be heady, but chanses are you not going to break them....

Just keep in mind...Steel does conduct electricity.
AM leonard is getting into the steel rake and shovel game..... and life time warranty as well....