PDA

View Full Version : No more edging with a trimmer

Eho
03-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, I have been using my echo trimmer for both edging and trimming over the past few years. I have always been able to make a really nice edge with the trimmer, but I think it takes too long. I have to reload my trimmer line way more often since I use it to edge. I feel like if I buy a stick edger I can get more life out of my trimmer. I was able to do a nice looking job with my trimmer, however I feel like I can save time if I buy a stick edger. What are your thoughts on this issue? Should I buy an echo edger( I ve had a trimmer for a while and I am pleased with it) or a Stihl. Also, I want to buy a backpack blower, soemthing simple, and was wondering what to buy. Let me hear from ya!
EHO

stumper1620
03-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey guys, I have been using my echo trimmer for both edging and trimming over the past few years. I have always been able to make a really nice edge with the trimmer, but I think it takes too long. I have to reload my trimmer line way more often since I use it to edge. I feel like if I buy a stick edger I can get more life out of my trimmer. I was able to do a nice looking job with my trimmer, however I feel like I can save time if I buy a stick edger. What are your thoughts on this issue? Should I buy an echo edger( I ve had a trimmer for a while and I am pleased with it) or a Stihl. Also, I want to buy a backpack blower, soemthing simple, and was wondering what to buy. Let me hear from ya!
EHO
I have all Echo and I'm very happy with it, the SRM-230 edger is a nice edger for the price, I like mine. JMO

andersonmowing23
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah I used to do the same thing as you, then I got a stick edger. I really loved it made things go alot faster. Another option for your is an edge it. I use one and I really love it, I can edge mulch beds in no time and sidewalks and driveways. It works really nice and you can still weedeat with the same weedeater without changing anything. Just an idea I have both edgeit and stick edger, both has its advantages. I will be honest tho I don't really use the stick edger that much. Check out the site www.edgeit.com, I beleive thats the site.

ChadA
03-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah I used to do the same thing as you, then I got a stick edger. I really loved it made things go alot faster. Another option for your is an edge it. I use one and I really love it, I can edge mulch beds in no time and sidewalks and driveways. It works really nice and you can still weedeat with the same weedeater without changing anything. Just an idea I have both edgeit and stick edger, both has its advantages. I will be honest tho I don't really use the stick edger that much. Check out the site www.edgeit.com, I beleive thats the site.

I can't get the edgeit site to load.

PaulJ
03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
EDGIT all the way. The only time I ever use a blade edger ( I have an aol wheeled edger) is for new accounts with overgrown edges or one time jobs. The edgit on a trimmer does a great job and saves the time of going around the property twice with two different machines. YOu can do edges as fast as you can walk.

check it out.

The C Man
03-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I can't get the edgeit site to load.
http://www.edgit.com/

Classic
03-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Try the edgit on your Echo and use thicker line if you have a powerful enough engine. I use .105 line and it lasts longet than the stock .095.

Echo makes a decent backpack for the money and good power. It's called the PB-603 and I think it sells for around $299 or so. Redmax also makes an awesome blower (what I currently use but you are looking at around $450-$500)

K&L Landscaping
03-13-2005, 07:54 PM
It doesn't matter how good you are with a string trimmer for edging it will never look as good as a sharp edge left from a steel bladed edger. Also, it is not good for the turf to use a string trimmer, it will turn the grass brown at the edges. Spend the money on an edger and seperate yourself from the other LCOs in your area.

bobbygedd
03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
edging with a weedwacker is #1 on the list of " 10 ways to be a scrub"

lwcmattlifter
03-13-2005, 08:35 PM
If this is going to be you only edger don't skimp on the engine. You'll be happy when you have the power cut overgrown walks fast. The Echo PE-260 and the Stihl FC-85 and FC-110 are all great machines.

Precision
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
agree with bobby. They make edgers for a reason. The head of the weedwacker is parallel to the ground for a reason.

ChadA
03-13-2005, 10:35 PM
http://www.edgit.com/

Thanks C man.

DennisF
03-13-2005, 11:11 PM
There is no way that a string trimmer will ever produce an edge as straight and clean as a stick edger. Once you edge a lawn with a stick edger and see the difference, you'll never use a trimmer to edge again.

Get plenty of power when you buy one. At least 25cc engine and bigger if you can afford it. The Stihl 4-mix multi-tool units are very powerful and can accept other attachments.

dkeisala
03-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Whatever. I use both a trimmer and a stick edger. Trimmers are far more versatile and way less cumbersome than stick edgers. You can edge flat surfaces as well as beds with a trimmer but you can only do flat surfaces (curblines, driveways, etc) with a stick edger as they don't perform well in beds. Sure, stick edgers keep the edge looking green but for speed, I'll stick with my string trimmer any day.

DennisF
03-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Whatever. I use both a trimmer and a stick edger. Trimmers are far more versatile and way less cumbersome than stick edgers. You can edge flat surfaces as well as beds with a trimmer but you can only do flat surfaces (curblines, driveways, etc) with a stick edger as they don't perform well in beds. Sure, stick edgers keep the edge looking green but for speed, I'll stick with my string trimmer any day.

I use a stick edger in beds and it leaves them with perfectly straight edges. The grass doesn't turn brown either after using the stick edger.

PaulJ
03-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I doubt any one of the guys saying you can't make a Good edge with a trimmer has ever tried an edgit, and if they have, they probably didn't' follow the directions.
The edgit will guide you in making a crisp straight clean edge.
Fwiw, When I use a blade edger on overgrown edges I follow it with my edgit to clean up the edge left by the blade.

micah79
03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Looks like a cool idea. I would like to try one, but they don't have Husqvarna on their list.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I doubt any one of the guys saying you can't make a good edge with a trimmer has ever tried an Edgit, and if they have, they probably didn't' follow the directions.
Amen to that. There are so many different discussions on here about this particular topic that it's beyond ridiculous. No one is saying that an Edgit is the tool to use on a property that's NEVER been edged before. An Edgit is a maintenance/time saving tool. Once an edge has been put on a lawn with either a walk behind or stick edger you can maintain it throughout the season with a trimmer with an Edgit. When you've finished trimming a property's mulch beds and around trees and fences you can go right to maintaining the edge without having to go back to the trailer, locking up the trimmer, and getting a different tool.

lpwhandyman
03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
I just checked out the website.......My question is...does this attachment allow the clippings (when using it horizontally) to come back at your feet? It looks like it's a saucer/plate without a cutter for the trimmer line. Am I right? I"m interested in this and would like to know more.

dishboy
03-14-2005, 10:12 AM

I would disagree about broad statements that make generializations that may or may not be true.

There are some of us who actually can make a more attractive edge with a trimmer after a initial edging has been performed. Keep practicing Bobby, some day you may make it to professional status with all available maintenance resources, not just the idoit proof variety.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Does it allow the clippings (when using it horizontally) to come back at your feet?
Not that I've noticed, no more than a trimmer with a guard on it.

It looks like it's a saucer/plate without a cutter for the trimmer line. Am I right?
Yep. No cutter, and flatter than a guard is.

Lawn-Scapes
03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Done with a line trimmer.. walking forward at a normal pace.

LawnJohn
03-14-2005, 11:17 AM
... I have to reload my trimmer line way more often since I use it to edge. ...EHO

..For that reason, I just bought a redmax 225 edger. I'm sure I'll continue to use my trimmer more for edging but for larger properties, I'll be using the edger from now on because it's hard on my wrists..

The C Man
03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Done with a line trimmer.. walking forward at a normal pace.
No one would complain about that edge, looks great.

old dog
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
It doesn't matter how good you are with a string trimmer for edging it will never look as good as a sharp edge left from a steel bladed edger. Also, it is not good for the turf to use a string trimmer, it will turn the grass brown at the edges. Spend the money on an edger and seperate yourself from the other LCOs in your area.
Amen,brother-nothing as good ,or as quick as a walk behind edger.

PaulJ
03-16-2005, 01:44 AM
The edgit makes a better guard than any of the factory guards. Run the line about and inch or two past the edge of the disc and it works great if it gets shorter than that one bump is enough to bring it back. If too much comes out just burn it of or wind it back in. One of the best things about a trimmer with an edgit is that yo can trim with it also. Can't do that with a wheeled or stick edger. The edgit saves you a trip back to the truck and an extra trip around the property.
I'll say it again, to get the most out of it "follow the directions" and "follow the edge"
edgit user know what I mean.

kwelch
03-16-2005, 10:15 AM
WOW. This is so weird. I use to work for a landscape/lawn care business in Northern Kentucky and the owner put one of these on a trimmer. I loved it. He said this guy had just came up with the idea and was trying to sell them. I think we got it for free to try it out. I must say it did a great job. I'm seriously thinking about buying one. Thanks for the info!