PDA

View Full Version : Ever had this clause

lampeslawnservice
03-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I got a bid contract from a local company that is controlled regionally. The contract states "Watering: If the site is not irrigated, the contractor will include in his bid the costs for manually watering the area. There will be no "extra" charges for watering except in the event water rationing is ordered by the city."
Now I haven't yet been by the site to see if its irrigated, but what the heck is this? Anyone ever have this?

stumper1620
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I got a bid contract from a local company that is controlled regionally. The contract states "Watering: If the site is not irrigated, the contractor will include in his bid the costs for manually watering the area. There will be no "extra" charges for watering except in the event water rationing is ordered by the city."
Now I haven't yet been by the site to see if its irrigated, but what the heck is this? Anyone ever have this?
That don't make sense. Do they want you to truck in water if there is rationing? Or do they want sprinklers moved into un watered areas? :confused:

impactlandscaping
03-13-2005, 04:38 PM
That's kind of a redundant clause..you are to include charges for watering if non-irrigated, but cannot charge "extra" for this unless there is a rationing of h2o by the city..so as long as there is no water restrictions, they want free watering as a perk to the contract?

Groundcover Solutions
03-13-2005, 05:04 PM
If there is no irrigation system just work the extra man hours into your bid. Don't list that you did this you can probably just tack it on with something else. This way you are covered for the watering but you did not spacficaly bid for that item.

lampeslawnservice
03-13-2005, 05:36 PM
I'll probably be in touch with the rep. that called me about it. It's a well known company so they must have dealt with these issues before. The contract is for four years so better get it right.
You are right that it doesn't make sense. There is alot of sections in it that don't make sense, but a lot that do and are specific. The lot is about an acre so if they want me to sit out there with a sprinkler, I'm gonna need a cooler :drinkup:

olderthandirt
03-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I've done some of these jobs that have a clause in them that reads almost that way, The ones I did were for water line repair work [13 miles of turf repair ranging from weed fields to multi-milllion dollar homes] and what the contractor wanted was WATERING in the case that we had no rain. The extra cost is above what you would normally charge for the watering.If the city put a watering ban on you would have to travel farther to get water thus your allowed to charge more for that part than just the extra you charge to water. Its all BS and the way around it is to guarantee that if they award you the contract, they will be the first job done in the springs , so they can benefit from the spring rain. Hope this helps

Mac

drmiller100
03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
i saw one of these bids for the govmt. they had rinky dink sprinkler systems and you were expected to move the sprinklers around. parts of the areas weren't too bad, in other places it reminded me of handlines.

i passed as i'm not into moving sprinklers around twice a week, and i'm not into having customers with brown lawns.

make sure they supply the sprinklers and hoses and water supplies and pay the water bill.

lampeslawnservice
03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry should have been clearer, this contract is for mowing, fertilizing, and weed control.

drmiller100
03-13-2005, 08:46 PM
the contract i was talking about was also a mowing and fertilizing contract.

turns out that they expected you to hand water it as well as part of the contract. I was thinking mowing. they were thinking they were gonna write it out, get someone to commit, and then they didn't have to deal with it.

govment employees ain't gonna move sprinklers. they sub it out.