PDA

View Full Version : Will maintenance free lawns ever become popular?

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Do you think people will ever get the grass that only needs to be cut once a month or once a year? Do you think people will ever swictch over? What will this do to the future of our business?

Thanks,
Dan

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 05:40 PM
What grass are you refering to?

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 05:50 PM
any of those "new grass varities" that do not require frequent mowing. According to the flyers, they need mowing once a month, never need water, fert and are insect and weed free.

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Do you guys just not worry about those types of things or do you think they'll never pick up?

Mo Green
03-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Sounds too good to be true.

lawnman_scott
03-13-2005, 06:07 PM
they are like the mower that does the lawn itself, pet rock, ect. Fads.

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 06:09 PM
So you think the need for a lawn company will contine to grow? What would deter people from these great lawns?

Heres one for example.....www.zoysiafarms.com/par

Kelly's Landscaping
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Dan we have a few idiots up here that tryed that product they still get cut weekly and the lawn is a dead yellow 8-9 months out of the year its not meant to be grown in cool season states.

impactlandscaping
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Dan, I wouldn't lose any sleep..I just had my first estimate the other day for a synthetic lawn install. Never seen one around here, and probably won't once she gets the price. :D

DennisF
03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Slow growing turf grasses of one kind or another have been around for a while now. They've been tried in the south and southwest where water shortages are common. As said in a prior response...they are not very popular with homeowners because of the yellow appearance for most of the year.

Don't lose any sleep over it. Not many homeowners are going to rip out a perfectly good lawn to replace it with something that is slower growing.

AlbeLawn
03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
It is not too good to be true. There is a type of grass called buffalo grass that grows from alaska to the equator. In the midwest it only needs cutting 2 times a year. Its max hight is 6-12" but still looks good. I know of 3 for sure but have heard of more in the st louis area. I know that a sod farm in colombia Il. grows it and in the flood of 1993 it was the only grass to survive 2 months of water 12' deep. It is also used on hills for erosion. The most supprising thing to me is that the people with it ini st louis are upper class residents. Hope this helps.

Jim
Albenesius Lawn Service

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 11:03 PM
It is not too good to be true. There is a type of grass called buffalo grass that grows from alaska to the equator. In the midwest it only needs cutting 2 times a year. Its max hight is 6-12" but still looks good. I know of 3 for sure but have heard of more in the st louis area. I know that a sod farm in colombia Il. grows it and in the flood of 1993 it was the only grass to survive 2 months of water 12' deep. It is also used on hills for erosion. The most supprising thing to me is that the people with it ini st louis are upper class residents. Hope this helps.

Jim
Albenesius Lawn Service

So is this something that will eventually take over our business?

dforbes
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
So is this something that will eventually take over our business?

salesmenship!!!! you still have to comb it once a week

danslawncare
03-13-2005, 11:17 PM
oh really, so these lawns are not maintence free, like they advertise?

dforbes
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
have you ever seen a maintenance free battery (as they advertise) that doesn't require you add water (or replace it) I HAVE NOT don't beleive everything you read

Kelly's Landscaping
03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Dan you really want to worry about the future of lawn care or your lack of one in it. I would forget all about the super grass donít worry about the remote control lawn mowers either. Both are not that big a threat what will be is probably 20-30 years off at the earliest and 100 or so years off at the latest and thatís would be fully functioning androids sci fi you bet will it happen I would take that bet any day once that happens they will either be to expensive for the average person so only businesses will own them that would be sweet no more loser employees. But eventually every one will own them and we cease to exist. Now if you like to worry hereís something to fear doubt your sleep anymore hehehee but the grass donít sweat it.