PDA

View Full Version : 23

Toy2
03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
OK folks, here it goes, started running an ad 3 weeks ago in the paper, total of 8 ads running for lawn service, got a few calls and customers.

Open the paper today, total of 23 ads, ranging from $15.00 for small yard, to 25.00 for a big yard. another guy will use your equipment for $15.00 and $30.00 if he has to use his, another will mow and haul junk from your yard???

WTF, I told myself I would not drop my gate for less than $30.00 and now am stuck with the same customers, about 11, which vary on services, some weekly, some bi-weekly, small apt. bid with a good chance I will get it, small landscape jobs coming up.....

I wanted this to take off, I have tried to market door to door with business cards, my fliers has the prices of as low as $30.00 to mow, so I scraped them because I have had people tell me "Oh Chapo did it for $23.00 last year, I think he will do it this year". I hear this daily.....

Do I need to get a part-time job?? I know word of mouth has helped more than anything, but i really think people want this done for free...any advise would be helpful...thanks

Kelly's Landscaping
03-13-2005, 08:07 PM
You need to reach your customers another way where you do not have 23 other ads next to yours. Its sort of why I gave up my large ad in the SNET yellow pages there were 245 other landscapers in there and like you out of disgust I actually counted them.

Frosty_03
03-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I would hang in there and don't go back on you won't lower your gate for less than 30.00 dollars. Have you tried to go after churches they are good for weekly cutting cause they want there tards to look good for sunday service. This is just a thought. :cool2:

mole
03-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I would hang in there and don't go back on you won't lower your gate for less than 30.00 dollars. Have you tried to go after churches they are good for weekly cutting cause they want there tards to look good for sunday service. This is just a thought. :cool2:

Watch your spelling. You might get in trouble

Toy2
03-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I stopped at one church, they told me one of their members does it for free,,,,so I assumed they were all like that...I will stop at several more and see what comes out of it.

I also noticed that a lot of this LCo's are mowing on Saturdays or Sundays, so I think they have other jobs... thanks for the advise!

Travis Followell
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I really think people want this done free
Thats how people are around here. they want you to mow their yard but they don't want to pay you anything.

Rick Jones
03-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Sorry man, get used to it. It's how this biz goes a lot of the time.

Toy2
03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info folks, I do appreaicate it....I am determined to be here next year and post horror stories for the newbies....I know I won't get rich doing this, I just want to enjoy the freedom of knowing its mine!! :)

Frosty_03
03-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Dude like I said stick with it and you will live good. Yea some churches the members do do the yard work but others don't and once you get one more will follow. When it is 100 degrees and the don't want to do it they will call. I would look at Apartment complexes too there is so much out there you just have be able to except rejection cause it comes with the job. Before you now it you will have more jobs than you can handle. Oh yes and buying toys after toys. I NEVER WILL WORK ON SUNDAY. :cool2: SUNDAY IS FOR GOD AND FAMILY!!!! :cool2:

David Grass
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Dude like I said stick with it and you will live good. Yea some churches the members do do the yard work but others don't and once you get one more will follow. When it is 100 degrees and the don't want to do it they will call. I would look at Apartment complexes too there is so much out there you just have be able to except rejection cause it comes with the job. Before you now it you will have more jobs than you can handle. Oh yes and buying toys after toys. I NEVER WILL WORK ON SUNDAY. :cool2: SUNDAY IS FOR GOD AND FAMILY!!!! :cool2:
Me either, but be careful judging, there are a lot of seventh day adventists, and really, I think they have the correct biblical calendar day, Saturday. Several in my neighborhood, NEVER do their yard on Saturday, but will on Sunday!

Toy2
03-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I bid on an apt complex, $85.00 a mow.....twice a month....she said she would go with her other guy....Mr.Cheapo.....she owns the complex free and clear and is loaded....Oh well...he can have it...

Frosty_03
03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Well you will get some and then you loose some. *5 for a complex must of not been very large, I have some yards that I do for 125 and that is every week. :cool2: Keep on doing your thing man and Good Luck and God Speed in your venture :cool2: