PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Mowing Speed

gl1200a
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
This may sound odd, but I am working on formulas and tables so I can figure out what to bid mowing jobs at. In the formula I need a mean speed at which mowing is done at (in this case) in an open and flat environment with no obstacles. I have to bid an 18 acre park. So at what speed do you think you mow at? I'm guessing about 7 mph which would be about 80% speed on my Z-Trak. Am I close?

DLCS
03-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Actually, only you can answer that question. You have so many variables that can throw your formula off, mostly depends on the lawn. I have some that I can go wide open on and some that I have to practically crawl on. Your grass type, wether the lawn is fertilized, time a year, and how bumpy the lawn all play a role in how fast I go. If I'd have to say, I would lean towards an average of around 6-8 mph.

impactlandscaping
03-13-2005, 08:23 PM
What Mike said...there are mowers out there that can give a quality cut at 10 MPH +, but unless you have ideal turf conditions, etc..it doesn't matter. I agree with 6-8 being high average, anything faster and you better have full suspension and a kidney belt to hang in there over an 8-10 hour day..LOL

MikeLT1Z28
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
someone on here used to have a little estimator program. i can't remember who it was, had several size deck selections, speed, linear footage for edging and trimming. anyone have it? maybe you could use it and allow a +/- percent for margin of error.

DLCS
03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
someone on here used to have a little estimator program. i can't remember who it was, had several size deck selections, speed, linear footage for edging and trimming. anyone have it? maybe you could use it and allow a +/- percent for margin of error.

Seemed like Richard Martin or charles had that program. Might want to do a search or ask Charles.

gl1200a
03-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Thank you all. Yes, I know I am asking all you experienced folks to come up witha simple answer for me to the complex problem of bidding. The only formula I found that has helped me is on the Exmark site listed as the Productivity Chart. It gives miles per hour versus deck size and the amount completed per hour.

Thank you all for the help.

gl1200a
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
I just read thru a search and found that Chuck Sinclair's website and program have long since given way to a self proclaimed Prophet and Fortune Teller's website. Of similar interest I today made up a formula sheet on Microsoft Excel that uses Exmark's tabulation of 5,6,7 & 8 miles per hour with deck sizes of 54, 60 & 72" and gives you a full table with mowings per year of 27, 39 & 43 times. All you have to do is enter the total acres and dollars per hour and it will fill in a complete sheet of the figures of interest. I would gladly put it on here for review if I only knew how. I haven't even been able to figure out how to add an image since they changed the format last year. Thanks again for the advice.