PDA

View Full Version : Which aerator should i buy?

Royallawncare
03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
For the last few years we have been aerating like crazy in my area and were able to buy our two used aerators for $650 ( old rentals ) I am looking at purchasing a third or replacing one of the ones we have what is the best aerator you have ever used? We just use walk behinds most of the properties in our area are too small for towing...How much do tow behinds cost? What is the going rate for aeration in your area mine is about $35 a lawn for the middle class....

ow man
03-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Ryan makes some great products. Many kinds of specialty turf equip. They are commercial and well built.

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 01:48 AM
A very minimum of $60, but I don't even like that. I try to get $75. Check out the Plugr by Rock Solid. I bought the PL800 last fall and love it. Easy to operate and pulls a great plug.

Appalachian landscape
03-14-2005, 01:59 AM
the plugr looks great, how much do they cost?

grasswhacker
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
What is the going rate for aeration in your area mine is about $35 a lawn for the middle class....

No wonder you have had such a good response from your flyers. You are undercharging for your service by at least 40-50%. That is what hurts our industry and especially in a time when expenses are inflating.

Charles
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I would get a core areator. I am getting alot of calls for that type.

Royallawncare
03-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I talked to a few of the top companies in my area and have found that the most they have been able to charge for the normal size yard in our area is $35-40 I dont consider myself a "scrub" My prices are very competitive for our area. It really offends me when people get on this site and call others "scrubs" when they know nothing about their area, backround, or situation. What matters most is at the end of the day whether you feel good about your services, if it's worth it to you, and if your making a profit....

MacPhersonlawn
03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I have a Husqvarna AR 25 Core Aerator (walk behind). It was about $2,400 new. I usually charge $70 to $80 per lawn. Sometimes a little less ($60) if it is small. It does a good job but it can beat you up. Could never do it for an 8 hr day!

nriddle77
03-15-2005, 12:32 AM
No wonder you have had such a good response from your flyers. You are undercharging for your service by at least 40-50%. That is what hurts our industry and especially in a time when expenses are inflating.

There is nothing wrong with his price. Here in our area, there are plenty of people charging $20-$25 for aerating. This morining I saw signs posted all over that said "aerating $25, any size lawn". Most people here are just not going to pay $70 to have their lawn aerated. We'd all love to charge that much, but it's just not happening. Maybe that's a good price in your market, but not here. Most lawns here are small, and can be done in less than 30 minutes.

cochino12
03-15-2005, 12:39 AM
I dont know much about them as I am brand new to the business but I just bought a classen split drive and it works great!! I've only had it for about 3 weeks and I've already made close to $500 from it and picked up a few weekly customers because I can do both.

ChadA
03-15-2005, 12:47 AM
There is nothing wrong with his price. Here in our area, there are plenty of people charging $20-$25 for aerating. This morining I saw signs posted all over that said "aerating $25, any size lawn". Most people here are just not going to pay $70 to have their lawn aerated. We'd all love to charge that much, but it's just not happening. Maybe that's a good price in your market, but not here. Most lawns here are small, and can be done in less than 30 minutes.

I got four aerations from people who said they were going to rent one and do it them selves. I explained to them that it is $60 + $6 insurance(optional) to rent one. Plus you have to go pick it up, and take it back when your done. Not to mention the fact that they have to get out there and wrestle a machine they have never used before. I say why not let me do it for $75 and let me worry about all that other stuff. It's worked good so far. I'm renting one for the day in April. I already have 16 people signed up. 16 x 75 = 1200. Not to bad for a days work. It's definitly going to be a long day though.

cochino12
03-15-2005, 12:48 AM
I got four aerations from people who said they were going to rent one and do it them selves. I explained to them that it is $60 + $6 insurance(optional) to rent one. Plus you have to go pick it up, and take it back when your done. Not to mention the fact that they have to get out there and wrestle a machine they have never used before. I say why not let me do it for $75 and let me worry about all that other stuff. It's worked good so far. I'm renting one for the day in April. I already have 16 people signed up. 16 x 75 = 1200. Not to bad for a days work. It's definitly going to be a long day though.

Whoa!! 16 yard in a day, good luck and i dont envy your back ha ha. Good money though

homerescue
03-15-2005, 12:52 AM
never mind post mistakenly put here, should be a new thread.

Green & Clean
03-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Everyone always talks about how much they should charge to aerate a yard. The guys here in Utah know that two yards of the same size can be perfectly flat, with no trees as in a new development, or at a 45 degree angle " on the bench" with 10 foot drop-offs and allot of trees. The flat yard would be quick and easy to do, while the other yard would be harder, and take allot more time. I look at a yard, and if I estimate it will take 35 minutes, I quote $35. 50 minutes = $50, etc. Looking at the schedule board behind me I have 23 aerations scheduled, and 3-5 calls coming in each day. After agreeing on a price with the customer, I note the start time on the service report. When I am done aerating, blown off the walks and drive, and collected payment, I write down the end time. My average $ per hour so far this year, including clean-up is $57/hour. Some yards may only pay $20, others $120, but the gross profit per hour remains the same.

grasswhacker
03-15-2005, 08:16 AM

Then I would stop offering the service if you can't get a better price than that. Not worth it IMO since the home owner cannot rent an aerator for less than 35.00 (3 hr min.) and has to do the work themselves. However if you all want to work yourselves silly for such a small fee then knock yourselves out. Unless you are using it as a way to get a customer to sign a 1 year contract then it is a waste of time to me.

marko
03-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Royal, I am renting a Plugr this spring (just starting out). I have heard many good things about them. They operate on a cam rather that a wheel relying on weight. I would rent one and try it out before you buy (or see if you can demo one from your dealer). If you have sprinkler heads to deal with ensure that your customers mark them for you (provide the flags).

RedWingsDet
04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I dont know much about them as I am brand new to the business but I just bought a classen split drive and it works great!! I've only had it for about 3 weeks and I've already made close to $500 from it and picked up a few weekly customers because I can do both.

500$ for 3 weeks of areating? Hell, I rent an areator for a day for $75 and make close I hope this wasnt all you were doing for 3 weeks straight, or I'd shoot myself. lol

but forreal. how much do the plugr's cost?