PDA

View Full Version : Unreal. Maybe another big storm in NE March 17/18.

lawnguyland
03-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Accuweater.com says there is the potential for another snowstorm in the northeast at the end of this week. Un freakin' baahhhleeeveable. I like snow money, but enough is enough. Then again, as long as it all melts and is dry by Monday, I'm down with it. May be in the 50's next week on Long Island.

PS as this directly affects commercial lawn care, I posted it here.

paponte
03-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Yah, I'm done with snow. Didn't feel like going out at all Saturday morning either. Started on the mowers last week and still have alot to do though. I don't see us starting till April this year. Unfortunatley. :rolleyes:

Mark McC
03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
...that March would be cooler than usual. See below.

Please tell me you guys look at the National Weather Service site.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

paponte
03-13-2005, 11:24 PM

Yes we do, but what does temperatures have to do with a recent storm prediction?

lawnguyland
03-13-2005, 11:58 PM

So........? I also look at NWS, etc. what does it matter?
P Aponte, I'm still waiting to build a small shed and finish equip prep too, but the snow never ends! I think this will be the latest start around here in at least 10 years. Stupid snow (shaking fist at sky).

GetSomeGOJO
03-14-2005, 12:01 AM
First, not enough, now too much. and they're worried about global warming. Well, We'll show 'em, we'll grow oranges in Alaska.

svlandscape
03-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey bring some of that cool weather over here! It was 95 degrees F. last week! :cool:

Darryl G
03-14-2005, 12:28 AM
March and April is when we tend to get the big storms. Why does everyone seem to forget that every year?

Mark McC
03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes we do, but what does temperatures have to do with a recent storm prediction?

The storm prediction includes snow, right? It's the cold weather that's really driving the conversation, right? :dizzy:

rodfather
03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Unlike the light fluffy stuff we get in January and February, snow in March or April is usually the real wet and heavy crap that breaks your equipment...broken front axles, blown trannies and clutches, etc. Even I have had enough this season so far...did I say that??? :dizzy:

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Cold, snow, rain, whatever! The whole idea of my thread was to just say dang, it's gonna snow AGAIN! For us here on Long Island we normally begin spring clean-ups around now. Everyday past 3/14 I consider a late start on spring clean-ups. Not the end of the world of course, but this spring is gonna be jam packed if we can't start and finish the spcus relatively soon. I realize it snows sometimes in March and in April, but even then it is usually warmer and the snow will melt the same or next day allowing work to continue shortly. I've been doing this for 20 years and I believe that this will be the latest or one of the latest starts in that time. Not to say we haven't been snowed on later, but in general this is a late start.

AL Inc
03-14-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that it is an all rain event. These guys don't know what it is going to do TOMMORROW, much less Thursday, so take it with a grain of salt. It's been a good winter for snow, but I've had enough, too. I'm thinking Paponte is right, we may not get started until Lt March or early April.

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that it is an all rain event. These guys don't know what it is going to do TOMMORROW, much less Thursday, so take it with a grain of salt. It's been a good winter for snow, but I've had enough, too. I'm thinking Paponte is right, we may not get started until Lt March or early April.
I agree wholeheartedly....but, still looks like possible snow according to many sources.
Maybe we can fill our solo backpacks with green food coloring for St. Patty's Day and spray the snow green or paint shamrocks in it. Then it will at least look like grass. :drinkup:

AL Inc
03-14-2005, 08:56 AM
In '99, we didn't start until March 24 because the ground was still frozen. We still managed to get everything done, and it was a great year for us. So don't stress, lawnguy
We did plow last year on St Pat's day, right?

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:02 AM
In '99, we didn't start until March 24 because the ground was still frozen. We still managed to get everything done, and it was a great year for us. So don't stress, lawnguy
We did plow last year on St Pat's day, right?
Not stressin' at all my man! In fact, I'm unstressed and enjoying a little extra time "off". Back in '99 I had guys working for me, but as Hans Solo for the last 4 years or so the stress is less. (this is not to turn into a solo vs. having employees thread!)

rodfather
03-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Yah, I'm done with snow.

Even the imaginery stuff Paul? LOL

AL Inc
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Lawnguy, I understand, that is a little different. As a solo guy, you've got your hands full. It is funny you say that you are unstressing, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I'm just trying to enjoy these last days of winter before things start to get crazy. Contracts are starting to dribble in, and the phone has been pretty quiet.

jpmako
03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Bring it on,

I like the snow. The only thing that sucks about getting a late start is by the time you are half done with clean-ups your cutting grass already :cry:
Makes for a scheduling nightmare.

Jason

Cut
03-14-2005, 09:14 AM
First, not enough, now too much. and they're worried about global warming. Well, We'll show 'em, we'll grow oranges in Alaska.
LoL did you see the "King of the hill" where one dude told hank "I dont care about global warming, I'll just grow oranges in Alaska". Hank says "you moron! We are in Texas, its 110 degrees in the shade, and as a matter of fact, if it gets 1 degree hotter, I'm gonna kick your ass"!!

So funny!

SodKing
03-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Hey bring some of that cool weather over here! It was 95 degrees F. last week! :cool:

Who invited him ;)

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Lawnguy, I understand, that is a little different. As a solo guy, you've got your hands full. It is funny you say that you are unstressing, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I'm just trying to enjoy these last days of winter before things start to get crazy. Contracts are starting to dribble in, and the phone has been pretty quiet.
Yeah, contracts are slow to come in (as usual) and I'm sending out the reminder letter this week. As soon as the clients see one landscaper working they'll start remembering to sign and send. Happens every year. I worry about not enough work, but then get too much!

When I think about it I think I'm also less stressed now due to the snow itself. Lots of snow this year means more $ in bank for spring/end of winter. More $ = less stress. Direct relationship.

David Grass
03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
well, we had some light snow a week ago, and it was looking like it would be the VERY last week of March before I got to Mow, but in just a couple of days now, the grass is getting MUCH greener, and I think I may start on St patrick's day! Just trying to make the point that, it can really change fast this time of year, and you guys up there could be mowing sooner than you think!

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
well, we had some light snow a week ago, and it was looking like it would be the VERY last week of March before I got to Mow, but in just a couple of days now, the grass is getting MUCH greener, and I think I may start on St patrick's day! Just trying to make the point that, it can really change fast this time of year, and you guys up there could be mowing sooner than you think!
Good to know, I'm still hoping for the 21st of March, but even then they're saying it might rain a lot that week. Oh well, whatcha gonna do.

Cut
03-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Well lots of rain should get the grass growing if it doesnt rot close to the ground.

paponte
03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks Rod, I wish the stuff on Saturday was imaginary. Unfortunately it was wet heavy crap. ripped a push frame off one truck, and got into an accident with another. No damage to my truck in teh accident, but I'm done with theis white stuff already.

I have to agree with the contracts. People see white on the ground and think they have all the time in the world to send them back. Think I am still sticking with getting started in April. Though as stated the minute customers see 1 guy out, the phone will be off the hook. :blob3:

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Ahhh hahahahahahahaha ....un-believeable. Now it looks like no snow at all. After all that! Good. :waving:

edward hedrick
03-14-2005, 06:48 PM
I have a bet with a friend I'll mow grass by May 1. Will try to get equip

working. Stihl trimmer down with bad gas, ordered one from thomas $45

dealer wanted 110. Ed

BMFD92
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Latest weather reports says it is staying south of us and the rest of the week should be sunny in the low to mid 40s. That should keep the snow melt consistent

rodfather
03-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I have a bet with a friend I'll mow grass by May 1. Will try to get equip

working. Stihl trimmer down with bad gas, ordered one from thomas $45

dealer wanted 110. Ed

May 1??? You live in CT or north of Canada???

pjslawncare/landscap
03-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Yea, u guys up north are gettin hit hard this winter. I only had one eveent this whole winter

Carolina Cutter
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Well if it makes you guys feel any better...here in NC they are callin for the chance of snow and temps around 37 for the next few days. I have NO IDEA what is going on. I am usually hitting the mowing hard and heavy by March 15th but everything here is still dormant.......this is really getting depressing.

dfor
03-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Looks like So. New England is out of the woods right now. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm hoping to start on the 28th. By May 1st, all lawns will likely have their first cut.

Rene
03-15-2005, 10:27 PM
You guy's havn't seen snow until you lived in northern VT. I still have 3 feet of snow up here. and my mowers are parked about two hundred yards from my work shop. This white stuff is starting to s#*k....

Scottish LScape
03-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Hopefully they are wrong again. Last year it snow on St. Pat's Day :realmad:

Carolina Cutter
03-15-2005, 11:23 PM
If I were you....when the snow melted......I would have a uhal......LOL

Itsgottobegreen
03-16-2005, 12:18 AM
I took the plows and blowers off my tractor. (don't have a 4x4 truck to plow with) I am done with snow this year (some body will stay that will be my famous last words, I sure hope so, I could used a good 18" storm to balance out that lack of snow this year) I was out putting lime down today. So the ground was still white.