PDA

View Full Version : Quick 21" question please

iluvbermuda
03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
What's the best, in your opinion, non self propelled 21" mower for mulching and some side discharge.

iluvbermuda
03-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Anyone????

MMLawn
03-14-2005, 11:14 PM
You're not getting a response because this question is ask and answered daily and if you'll simply take the time to do a SEARCH you'll find probably 10,000 answers to your question.

iluvbermuda
03-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Glad you got time to write that and not a quick real answer. Sorry to bother you brother.

ZaK18
03-14-2005, 11:38 PM
I have used all commercial 21" available. The best in my opinion is toro proline. I just bought the new re-designed honda commercial HRC216. I was very disapointed in the proformance of the machine and just returned it. I think from now on I'll stick with the proven prolines.

volranger
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah, you will get that response alot. Some on here will just reply to messages so they can write "DO A SEARCH!!!" It helps build their status on the number of posts.

marko
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Do some research on side discharge for the Proline. It is a kit and have never used it, but don't think it is really designed to side discharge. They are awsome mowers for bagging or mulching though!

Roger
03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
I have had a Toro Proline for a couple of years.

The side discharge is a joke! Not long after I got my mower, I borrowed a discharge chute from a local resident. I had seen him use it, and asked him about it. He quickly offered to loan it to me for a few days. Unlike the retired homeowner, who is able to mow when he wants (both the day and time of day when dry), I have to deal with what turf is on the property when I show up weekly.

Bottom line: if the grass quantity is light enough to allow the discharge chute to work, I could just as easily mulched. I was hoping to use it when the grass was still damp, or the growth was too much for mulch. That was not the case.

I returned the loaner, and never bought a chute for myself.

As a side note, I saw somebody selling these mowers on e-bay yesterday. One of the items was a "never used" discharged chute. Hmmm... wonder why it was never used.

For my conditions, a LawnBoy side bagger will run circles around the Toro for bagging in difficult conditions. I bought a LB last Spring during the heavy growth period because I had such bagging headaches with the Toro. The quality of machine, the quality of the Suzuki engine is great -- but the bagger in moderate to heavy grass, especially when wet ... terrible! As a mulcher, it does a moderately good job in grass, excellent job in leaves.

MMLawn
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, you will get that response alot. Some on here will just reply to messages so they can write "DO A SEARCH!!!" It helps build their status on the number of posts.

ACtually it has NOTHING to do with post count. I could care less what my post count is and never even look at it period. But it does have everything to do with using the site as it is designed. The Search feature is here for a REASON and that reason is to answer questions that have been beat to death like this one by providing a wealth of info on the topic. What it really is, is that some posters are just to lazy to take the time to research their question and just want the easy way out by just asking it and then not being active again on the site until they have another question that has been beat to death.

As a matter of fact in doing a search of your 12 post since 7/2004, four (4) of them were this exact same response to others who had posted the Search Response to a question, how did that help anyone. AT least those of us the post and a regular basis try and help where it is needed and telling someone to do a Search when we KNOW that the topic has been discussed time and again is help, not a bash as you insinuate.

locutus
03-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you will get that response alot. Some on here will just reply to messages so they can write "DO A SEARCH!!!" It helps build their status on the number of posts.With regards to subjects that have been hashed and re-hashed ad-nausium on this forum, the most efficient way to garner a wealth of information is to simply perform a "search".

procut
03-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Your exacly right.

BTW I did not respond in effort to increase my post count, simply think that exact same thing almost daily, and felt nessesary to agree, didn't want to sound hyprecritical. LOL

coonman
03-15-2005, 01:00 PM
What's the best, in your opinion, non self propelled 21" mower for mulching and some side discharge.

I am wondering about your question. You want a commercial NON SELF PROPELLED??? Every commercial 21 I have ever bought or looked at is a three speed. I don't know what to tell you about a commercial PUSH mower. We use Toro Prolines three speeds, they are good mulchers and baggers but are not setup for side discharge.

PTP
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
If I had your specifications, I would buy a cheap unit from Lowes or somewhere like that. You can get the Toro (I think) in a non-self-propelled model but it is too heavy to push. Also, the side discharge thing is a pain.

IMO, the Toro Proline is a great machine and it just might be what you need. I was really wanting a side discharge before I got my Toro and realized that it would mulch pretty easily. You might be amazed at what a commercial quality machine can really do.

But of course that is all up to you.

TClawn
03-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a toro proline that I'll sell you. self propelled (you push, he he he) , only 20 hours. looks like it came from a showroom. $400. YOU PAY SHIPPING!. :D

TMlawncare
03-16-2005, 12:04 AM
For my conditions, a LawnBoy side bagger will run circles around the Toro for bagging in difficult conditions. I bought a LB last Spring during the heavy growth period because I had such bagging headaches with the Toro. The quality of machine, the quality of the Suzuki engine is great -- but the bagger in moderate to heavy grass, especially when wet ... terrible! As a mulcher, it does a moderately good job in grass, excellent job in leaves.

My experience is just opposite to this statement. I have a lawnboy and it is great for side discharging. For mulching in wet or dry conditions the proline is by far the superior choice. For bagging in the wet, the proline is the best 21" bagger I've ever used. Why, because it doesn't clog and I have the bbc. Now if your mowing wet foxtail or crabgrass, all mowers clog. The lawnboy on the otherhand, is very good in dry conditions. However, in the wet that tiny tube that goes back to the rear bagger is the first to clog. You will have your hand in there more then you will be mowing.

Roger
03-16-2005, 06:00 AM
TM ... I agree with your assessment for LB rear bagger - a real waste of time. The tight tube passing debris to the rear is too small when the growth is heavy, or the clippings are wet. The side bagger is an entirely different animal. On the side bagger, the chute it huge by comparison and the flow of debris is much more direct into the bag. Many other LCOs in this area have LBs, all with side bagger. I only see rear baggers on home owner mowers.

Also, I have never seen a side discharge chute on a Toro of an LCO. Now that I think about it, the only home owner I've seen using one is the man I borrowed from. Honda also has a left-side discharge chute, and I recall seeing only one ever being used by a homeowner. It is very rare to see a Honda being used by an LCO.

Obviously, mowing conditions vary so much from location to location, blanket statements regarding "best" can be misleading.

iluvbermuda
03-16-2005, 05:34 PM
What model LB would you all suggest? I do like the idea of the side bagger because the rear ones clog in damp grass. Does the LB side dis.? How heavy is it since I do not want self prop.?

TClawn
03-16-2005, 06:07 PM
My experience is just opposite to this statement. I have a lawnboy and it is great for side discharging. For mulching in wet or dry conditions the proline is by far the superior choice. For bagging in the wet, the proline is the best 21" bagger I've ever used. Why, because it doesn't clog and I have the bbc. Now if your mowing wet foxtail or crabgrass, all mowers clog. The lawnboy on the otherhand, is very good in dry conditions. However, in the wet that tiny tube that goes back to the rear bagger is the first to clog. You will have your hand in there more then you will be mowing.

if the proline is the best bagger you've used, you probably haven't used a commercial honda. those things are impossible to clog. best bagger I've used.