PDA

View Full Version : Got the job, now what is the best way to do it

Smitty58
03-14-2005, 01:13 AM
I have a 25 yd mulch job coming up at one house. I'm debating on how to do it. I can rent a bark blower and knock it out fast or can do it the ole fashion way. Here are the facts, total job $1500 ,buy mulch for $14 yd ($350) ,can rent the blower for $325 a day.
How would you do it?
1. By wheelbarrows 3 guys 1 long day
2. With blower ,2 guys 3-4 hours

captken
03-14-2005, 01:30 AM
don't wear yourself out, and move on to the next job.

I did a job Saturday, where I put out 45yds. The company I ordered the mulch from was generous when they delivered and I ended up with more mulch than I ordered. I rented a Bob Cat. Moved the mulch quick, and did the job no one likes, easy. Cost for renting a S-250 Bob Cat was under $200.00 US.

HOOLIE
03-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Not sure what your labor costs would be with either method. A lot for me would depend on how much other work I've got lined up, don't want to fall off schedule, even if you make less money on this job by renting the blower you could make it up with the extra time to do another job.

If you anticipate you might have another job of this size, might want to wait and knock them both out in one day if you have to pay for a full-day rental.

impactlandscaping
03-14-2005, 01:44 AM
I would figure about 7-8 hours with option one..so just say 16 man hours
Option two would cut the man hours by half to 8, so depending on what you are paying your employees, that can be something to look at.Let's assume you pay your guys $ 12.00 per hour... With the rental, you still have to load the blower( I am guessing this a Finn tow-behind), and it can only blow as fast as someone loads it. If you have a tractor or bobcat to load it, that will knock the time down. Which brings me to this: Would you bring a separate truck with a tractor or bobcat for 2 hours to three hours time, pickup and return the blower, and then service the tractor / bobcat at the end of the day for $ 729.00 gross(equip rental, materials, labor 8 hours) , or spread it manually with 2 helpers(16 hours, materials) , and gross $ 958.00 ? I think I would go with option one unless my schedule was so tight I needed the afternoon for another 4 hour job.

Smitty58
03-14-2005, 01:50 AM
I have not used the blower before so there would be a learning curve there. I also don't own a loader so I would have to either rent one or load the blower by hand which would not be a lot of fun.

captken- when you used a bobcat did you just dump piles as big as the bobcat would hold all over or what? I'm sure it would be a lot faster with the bobcat vs wheelbarrows but is it hard to get into where you need to dump with the bobcat?

impactlandscaping
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Smitty-Something else to look into is a mini loader such as a Ditch Witch SK500 or a Bobcat MT55.They rent locally for about the cost of one good laborer -$ 125.00 per day. Small, quick, and can put the mulch right where you need it in the beds, plus load wheelbarrows if needed.. With the turf as soft and wet as it is, I don't know if I'd go that route, though. They are pretty easy on the turf, but not that easy..lol

Smitty58
03-14-2005, 02:04 AM
I can rent a Dingo for $135 a day ,but like you say they are real easy to tear the turf. Would be a lot easier than running back and forth with a wheelbarrow but I'm not sure that it would be any faster.

captken
03-14-2005, 02:49 AM
a dingo is a walkbehind, like the Ditch Witch. I got the S-250 Bobcat because it is fast, with a 75hp turbo diesel engine, and has a 6 foot wide bucket, and the job was an Elementary School playground, with lots of room. The S-250 weights nearly 8000lbs. and I would think twice before using one on a residential lawn.
You can rent a smaller one, but you have to consider turf impact, such as avoiding sharp turns which will tear and rut turf.

I used the Bobcat to bring the mulch to the playground area, and had 2 guys working leveling the mulch. We stayed busy, but not rushed, and finished including cleanup time, in 4hrs. I pay my guys more while doing landscape than mowing.

captken
03-14-2005, 02:58 AM
with bucket attachment is also a good choice for rental.

Smitty58
03-14-2005, 03:00 AM
captken - have you rented one? what kind? how much?
I've never rented a tractor but that may be a good choice.

Billz
03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
another idea. I found a big company here who will subcontract bark and bring the big bloer/truck in. They charge 32.50 per yard installed, I just would drive up with them, and make sure it looks good, at 25 yards, I would pay them $812.50 and make $687.50 for not lifting a finger.

Cut
03-14-2005, 08:46 AM
a dingo is a walkbehind, like the Ditch Witch. I got the S-250 Bobcat because it is fast, with a 75hp turbo diesel engine, and has a 6 foot wide bucket, and the job was an Elementary School playground, with lots of room. The S-250 weights nearly 8000lbs. and I would think twice before using one on a residential lawn.
You can rent a smaller one, but you have to consider turf impact, such as avoiding sharp turns which will tear and rut turf.

I used the Bobcat to bring the mulch to the playground area, and had 2 guys working leveling the mulch. We stayed busy, but not rushed, and finished including cleanup time, in 4hrs. I pay my guys more while doing landscape than mowing.

Did you use the rubber mulch on the school? I spreaded two huge pallets of the stuff by myself in an hour and a half with a pitchfork and rakes..

captken
03-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Mini pine bark nuggets, 4" thick. Billz probably had the best answer, sit back and oversee and get paid to sub it out.

CNYScapes
03-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Just Do It

captken
03-14-2005, 11:38 AM
This is the machine I used. The office guy who checked it out when I returned it this morning said he last visited lawnsite 3 years ago. I told him I'd post this pic.of him, and to come on back.

LB1234
03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
I would seriously consider a mini-skid steer (walk-behind unit). I would make sure to get a tracked unit. They do not tear up the turf as bad as the wheeled unit. As long as you don't "zero-turn" on the turf and make three point turns you should be fine. Your rental fee is going to be around 125 for the day. They are relatively light, considering what they do, and fit onto most landscape trailers. Heck, I've even seen them get the Dingo Tx420 into the back of a 3/4 ton pickup truck.

Mo Green
03-14-2005, 12:10 PM
another idea. I found a big company here who will subcontract bark and bring the big bloer/truck in. They charge 32.50 per yard installed, I just would drive up with them, and make sure it looks good, at 25 yards, I would pay them $812.50 and make $687.50 for not lifting a finger.
We have the same type of service availible here. I think they charge $25-$30 per yard. That's the way to go.