PDA

View Full Version : Good brands of thatcher and areator

Appalachian landscape
03-14-2005, 01:34 AM
what are some good brands of thatchers and areators? I'm thinking about purchasing one of each and I don't know where to start looking.

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 01:55 AM
I personally own a Bluebird dethatcher and a Plugr PL800 aerator and love both. Both are great machines with Honda engines.

Appalachian landscape
03-14-2005, 02:01 AM
how much did those run? I need to find a dealer around here who sells stuff like that. I've been all around and no one stocks these tools. they can "order me one" :rolleyes:

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
The dethatcher will run around $1300 new and the aerator will cost $2995-$3150. If Rock Solid (Plugr) does not have a dealer near you, they will ship direct.

Mowmoregrass
03-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I have rock solid plugrs. Send me pm and I will see what I can do.

superbee
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I bought a new Plugr PL800 at the Lawn and Expo show here in Louisville last September. Great machine - alot easier to use than the Bluebird I used to rent and it does a wonderful job.

KathysLGC
03-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I might be getting the PL800 soon. So far it's the best that I've seen. I've been doing searches here and on the net for aerators.
Walker do you like the bluebird dethatcher better then the JRCO units?

lawnchopper
03-14-2005, 02:55 PM
we use a thatchomatic power rake and the bluebird and Ryan aerators.
Bluebird seems to be the most common I think they make product for a few other companys aswell.
as far as pluggers i would look at a Ryan

lawncare3
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
If it wasn't for mr Matt (walker talker) I woulndt have a aerator. I got a kees core plugger. It works great for me and LOW maintenence. It has about 40 hours on it and the best part is it only has 4 tines on it less sharpening and it's pretty efficent.

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Walker do you like the bluebird dethatcher better then the JRCO units?They can't compare. I don't have the JRCO, but I do have a smaller unit that attatches to the front of a mower deck. They both use spring tines and are great for cleaning up the lawn....especially when picking up leaves. The Bluebird model pulls up a whole lot more debris and does a great job. They use motorized flails that are much wider than a spring tine. My best advice to you is find a rental shop or Home Depot and try one out. I hope you have an efficient way of collecting and hauling away the debris because it will generate a lot.

Jason Rose
03-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I would agree with everyone else, Bluebird makes a good dethatcher. But... Dethatching is kinda going the way of the dodo these days it seems. I think everyone is really finding that flail type units are just too agressive and really do as much damage as they do good. Plus the fact of the unbelieavable amount of material to clean-up. If you want a walk behind dethatcher, my opinion would be to go with one that has spring tines that rotate in place of a flail reel. I personaly own a bluebird and have a flail reel and a slicer reel for it (they interchange) Nice so you don't have to have 2 seperate pieces of equipment... Plus I have a jrco rake for the front of my mower. I use that more than anything. So much easier to make 2 or 3 passes (if needed) on the mower than to go thru the process of the walkbehind.

Granted, the jrco is not "a powerrake" and it is not techinacally dethatching. you are just removing dead grass and leaves off the top and in the grass. Thatch is a whole different animal and honestly is best attacked with an areator. The areator brings soil onto the surface where it can sit on the thatch layer and help break it down.

As for an areator, i have a Ryan, great machine, many like them out there, but the Plugr really looks like it's hands down the way to go. I'd like to run one once just to see, but the claims I hear about the ease of use and how well it pulls plugs and the amount of plugs, kinda has me sold already...

Evergreenpros
03-14-2005, 11:51 PM
what are some good brands of thatchers and areators? I'm thinking about purchasing one of each and I don't know where to start looking.

I've seen a lot of bluebird and ryan stuff online for sale. $800 range for the baseline dethatcher with a briggs new, no collection bag. Honda powered was a bit more. Several companies sell those lines, just do a search.