PDA

View Full Version : Which blades are best in high grass

googles
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Grass grows so fast in spring and I usually have a hard time with the grass clumping. I have heard that high lift blades are the best. Is that true??? And what about high lift mulch blades, or should I just stick with regular blades. I use 36" scag belt driven walk behinds.

John Gamba
03-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Grass grows so fast in spring and I usually have a hard time with the grass clumping. I have heard that high lift blades are the best. Is that true??? And what about high lift mulch blades, or should I just stick with regular blades. I use 36" scag belt driven walk behinds.

Try double high lifts or Meg-mos

rodfather
03-14-2005, 08:38 AM
High lift mulch blades can actually increase the amount of clumping...stick with straight high lift. The idea is you want to disperse the clippings as fast and as far away as possible leaving a clean cut. Mulch blades will hold the clippings under the deck longer, grind the clippings up more, and make them ball up as they disperse from the deck (and not as far) as well.

LawnMower
03-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Put on a fresh set of sharp double blades every day in the high growth season.

all ferris
03-14-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm with rodfather on this one. I just put high lifts on and watch that grass fly out the chute. However, the high lifts do suck more power and gas so only run them when you have too.

Tharrell
03-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I use Gators in high grass.

LawnJohn
03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Gators all the way..

Runner
03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
The only thing with gators, is that they tend to leave little balls of grass on the surface that are visible after it's dried. Several people on here, including myself, have testified to this. For a little 36, I would say stick with the highlifts, and keep them razor sharp.

metiernan
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
I see some people say to use double blades. Doesn't that bog down the engine and isn't it hard on the machine? I just run the regular blades my dealer sells me on my exmark 60 inch. Their is a Encore dealer in town who is obsessed with the gator blades with the teeth on them and says how they cut like a dream. I was not impressed with them. They clumped up the grass and kept more grass under the deck. I do use them to mulch leaves with and they work great.

John Gamba
03-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I see some people say to use double blades. Doesn't that bog down the engine and isn't it hard on the machine? .

Try them. Its the only way to know.

Travis Followell
03-14-2005, 03:12 PM
How do you get the blades to stay at a 90^ angle of each other? Looks like after you mow a while they would work their way around until one is on top of the other.

Meg-Mo
03-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Try the MEG MO blades. No problems with tall wet grass.

John Gamba
03-15-2005, 09:44 AM
How do you get the blades to stay at a 90^ angle of each other? Looks like after you mow a while they would work their way around until one is on top of the other.

Only if you hit something :cry: To install use a air gun

chevyman1
03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Dixie blades have a groove in the top one so the other fits flush into the groove

googles
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I have never tried high lifts but i have tried mulching blades and i did have a problem with clumping left on grass and the underside of my 36 scag pack with grass. after reading i think high lifts will be the blades i will try. I dont want to put double blades on my mower becuase i want it to last and not get over worked since i need it everyday.

Horsesbutt
03-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Gosh, a thread about cutting grass. With intelligent replies.

On this site. Spring must be acomming. This is GREAT !!

John Gamba
03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Gosh, a thread about cutting grass. With intelligent replies.

On this site. Spring must be acomming. This is GREAT !!

LOLOLOL I know i'm getting old :p LOLOLOLOL

TClawn
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Off Topic,

john, do you still like exmarks? on another thread a guy said that you endoresed the exmark sulky. whats going on? I thought you were through with them and were looking at the yellow mowers.

John Gamba
03-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Off Topic,

john, do you still like exmarks? on another thread a guy said that you endoresed the exmark sulky. whats going on? I thought you were through with them and were looking at the yellow mowers.

I do think that exmark makes a good mower. Its just a different company now.I have never said anything about the stand on sulky or the new one.

I am going to try the new toro deck this season. I will let you know about that.
Oh see if you can get the thread where i said i liked it.
John

Mark McC
03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Okay, my 2 cents worth.

Last year, my 36 Metro got bogged down a lot with clippings while mowing dewey grass. I was using blades described as notched airfoils in the eXmark forum here at lawnsite.

I'm inclined to go with the low-lift blade (or maybe the solid airfoil) just to see if the mower can move the clippings out from under the deck before they stick. But I'm also going to use some sort of coating under the deck. Those notched foils didn't seem to help avoid bogging the deck down.

To see the blades I'm referring to, click below.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=67774&page=1&pp=10

TClawn
03-15-2005, 05:59 PM
john, here's the link to the thread. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=99179

John Gamba
03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
john, here's the link to the thread. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=99179

I said nothing about the sulky.If you read it i said exmark in general. Ive been in exmarks adds, brochures and other stuff for a while.
I think the adds where done before my problems started. No big deal for me. Hay its better to be on exmarks stuff then your pic in the post office :D
John

Oh if i feel better tomorrow and i can get the scanner working i'll post some old adds for you.