PDA

View Full Version : Why do people list their equipment in their signature area?

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Does it prove something? What's the point? Seriously. Are you cool if your list is long? Does it show you're 'not a scrub'? Please explain someone. I'm not knocking those that do it, I just don't get it.

1MajorTom
03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Some members I'm sure feel that by listing their equipment, it will help other members answer their bidding and estimating questions more accurately if they know what equipment they use. That maybe could be one reason.

rodfather
03-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I have always wondered about that too.

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Some members I'm sure feel that by listing their equipment, it will help other members answer their bidding and estimating questions more accurately if they know what equipment they use. That maybe could be one reason.
Ahhhh yes, a very good point. This is why I ask such questions. thanks!

David Grass
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Does it prove something? What's the point? Seriously. Are you cool if your list is long? Does it show you're 'not a scrub'? Please explain someone. I'm not knocking those that do it, I just don't get it.
Yes, I too wish everyone would list their equipment (I am gonna get around to it soon), you can really tell a lot about that person (like walking into someones bathroom and looking in the medicine cabinet), their style, perhaps their flexibility, innovativeness, etc. and certain specific questions about equipment can be directed where need be.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM
If you think seeing long signatures in annoying (like me), you can set your preferences so they don't show.

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
If you think seeing long signatures in annoying (like me), you can set your preferences so they don't show.
Thank you too, good info, I did not know that!

all ferris
03-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I get a lot of pm's from people wanting to know how I like my equipment. If I didn't list it they wouldn't have been able to ask because they wouldn't have known that I have the equipment. The equipment list can also give other users an idea of the size of the business and the services they perform. (i.e. if there is an areator in the list the business probably provides areation).

rodfather
03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
I get a lot of pm's from people wanting to know how I like my equipment. If I didn't list it they wouldn't have been able to ask because they wouldn't have known that I have the equipment. The equipment list can also give other users an idea of the size of the business and the services they perform. (i.e. if there is an areator in the list the business probably provides areation).

Based upon that, is your wife right or not? LOL

LawnMower
03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
I think the real reason is ego. Look what I got!

CamLand
03-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I think the real reason is ego. Look what I got!

And thats what I was going to say...

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 09:51 AM
And thats what I was going to say...
That's what I think too, but I wanted to be careful not to offend anyone that does list the equip. No offense at all to those guys, just curious and I got some interesting answers that make sense. More education for us!

MMLawn
03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I've noticed that it seems that most of the ones that list their equipment are part-timers and teenagers and younger guys. Rarely if ever do you see a Fulltime LCO have any equipment listed.

John Gamba
03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I would put my mower in my signature but the name was missing when i got it. But i should put my new Gutter Broom down, it has a name on it.
John

rodfather
03-14-2005, 09:56 AM
I have all our equipment listed by purchase date, purchase price, equipment manufacturer, model number, etc., on a Microsoft Excel spread sheet format. To be perfectly honest (and I an NOT trying to brag), if I listed everything my company owns, it would probably just about take up an entire LS page under my post each time.

That's why I don't do it. Period

David Grass
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I've noticed that it seems that most of the ones that list their equipment are part-timers and teenagers and younger guys. Rarely if ever do you see a Fulltime LCO have any equipment listed.
Again, I wish EVERYONE would list, it really helps in the post, I can see what you are most familiar with, I find lists to be very helpful, and I dont have to ask "what are you using?" to come to your conclusions. I never thought of it as ego, but as helpful, maybe some of you are too sensitive, lol.

rodfather
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I would put my mower in my signature but the name was missing when i got it. But i should put my new Gutter Broom down, it has a name on it.
John

Nice unit there JG...ever feel like you're driving for Greyhound with that LOL

scagster
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
i agree with rod, it would take me all day to list eqipment i have purchased over the years, i kinda think it is a ego thing

John Gamba
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Nice unit there JG...ever feel like you're driving for Greyhound with that LOL

It dont turf tare lololol

MMLawn
03-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Again, I wish EVERYONE would list, it really helps in the post, I can see what you are most familiar with, I find lists to be very helpful, and I dont have to ask "what are you using?" to come to your conclusions. I never thought of it as ego, but as helpful, maybe some of you are too sensitive, lol.

Like Rod, being a Fulltime LCO I have way to much equipment to list. But I do use a whole bunch of Toro, eXmark, Honda, Echo, Stihl, RedMax Commercial equipment, and have several trailers from 12' to 18' all with full rack systems for handhelds and coolers, hows that? :p

The Dude
03-14-2005, 10:17 AM
The problem I have with it is I am sure that some people list things they dont have just to feel important. It isn't like someone is out there taking inventory independantly to verify what all you have. I could list all kinds of stuff, new trucks, new mowers, but it would be BS.

I am not saying names, but I am pretty dag on sure that it goes on.

KathysLGC
I think it's a bit helpful to see what others are using. I listed some of my things. I don't see that as being an ego thing because I don't having anything worth bragging about. If it was an ego thing i don't think any one with out a ZTR would post their stuff.

Lawnworks
I have done it since I found the site in 2000 or so. Then I was 17. Guess I haven't matured much.

CamLand
03-14-2005, 10:27 AM
That's what I think too, but I wanted to be careful not to offend anyone that does list the equip. No offense at all to those guys, just curious and I got some interesting answers that make sense. More education for us!

Your not offending if your not naming names...

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Some members I'm sure feel that by listing their equipment, it will help other members answer their bidding and estimating questions more accurately if they know what equipment they use. That maybe could be one reason.This has always been my thought.....but I am sure some like to brag also.

luckylawnboy
03-14-2005, 10:53 AM
hows this look.

KathysLGC
03-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Looks good but i think you missed some shovels.

jpmako
03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
WOW,

This is a long winter huh?
Now people are complaining about equipment lists in signatures.
We need some warm weather Lol :p

BTW I do it cause I want to.

Jason

Cut
03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
I think i'll list mine:

2 pair scissors (made in USA)
chinese folding fans for blowing
1 rope

rodfather
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I think i'll list mine:

2 pair scissors (made in USA)
chinese folding fans for blowing
1 rope

LMAO...good one. BTW, what's the rope for...to hang yourself?

KathysLGC
03-14-2005, 11:16 AM
This site has a lot of followers. Pretty soon you'll see people rushing to remove the equipment listings because of this thread, then there will be another thread about it with the positive side of having equipment listed and people will once again put there stuff back up.... I've seen people one day have some things listed and another day they removed it. I even remember some from this thread that had things listed and are now talking against it...... Ah to each his. What do i know? I'm full of spy-ware as I've been labeled...

The C Man
03-14-2005, 11:53 AM
If I listed everything my company owns, it would probably just about take up an entire LS page under my post each time. That's why I don't do it.
That's how I look at it. I have everything shut off - signatures, avatars, and automatic loading of images. I can see how it might be nice to see what people use, but just because they list something doesn't mean they have tons of experience with it. And odds are, if you ask someone what they think of a piece of equipment they have listed in their signature they're going to tell you they like it, which is fine, but it doesn't give you a very objective review of it compared to similar pieces of equipment.

KathysLGC
03-14-2005, 12:12 PM
If they have two mowers listed that your interested in, it would help.

Richard Martin
03-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean.

My list changes according to mood and sometimes it's not even a list. Sometimes it's nothing, I once had that icon that would tell you what your ISP address was (I got a few PMs on that), I had my old Dixie for sale there. I just like to keep things fresh I guess. I even change my location from time to time.

The landscaper
03-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Scagster, Where at in N. ohio are you located.

riches139
03-14-2005, 03:12 PM
You're right, it's all about ego.
I'm very proud as to what I've accomplished, and what I've been able to purchase.

As with any job, you tend to boast about your accompishments and goals.

GreenMonster
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I have everything shut off - signatures, avatars, and automatic loading of images.

that's too bad C Man. You're really missing out on my great sig pic. All of the other guys, especially ***.... I mean FGA, just love it! :p

The C Man
03-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I just looked at your profile and saw it there - it reinforces why I'm glad I have them shut off! :) Seriously, to me it would be annoying having the height of that pic added to every post you make, takes up too much screen space and makes me have to scroll more often.

impactlandscaping
03-14-2005, 03:38 PM

The rope's for tying the goats together to make a wide area mower...lol

MMLawn
03-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Ok I gave in and decided to list..

1978 Vega Station Wagon
1969 Dynamark 38" Rider Tractor
1995 22" High Wheel Murray
1993 Curved Shaft Electric Weedeater with a 3 prong plastic blade head
150' of patched and taped up electrical cord for weedeater
2005 Box of Bandaids for use with this weedeater head
2005 Wal-Mart 18" Push Broom
2 rakes one with a broken handle
Duct tape...for the rakes
Wheel barrow (but the tire is flat right now)
3 Red Tank tops with Business name in Magic Marker Stenciled Lettering
2 pairs cut off jeans
1 1985 John Deere hat
and a bunch of bungee cords to keep everything fittin' tight and running right!

scagster
03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
landscaper, the same town as you, never noticd that before

lawncare3
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I sometimes get a pm on how I like a specific piece of equipment. That way I can help the other members. Well at least I hope it does. :help: :help: :blob3:

Cut
03-14-2005, 04:16 PM

You guessed it!

Planet Landscaping
03-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I cant stand those things :rolleyes:

The landscaper
03-14-2005, 04:44 PM
where at in wakeman are you scagster?

scagster
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
fictchville river rd. one of these days ill post of our new house and shop. where you located

The landscaper
03-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Gore Orphanage rd.

Lawnchoice
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Totally an EGO thing.

Not necessarily bad though.

lawnguyland
03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Wow, I've been outside all day and come in to a thread with lots of action! I think that this was pretty interesting to see al the different responses. I now think that there are lots of good reasons to list equipment if you want to as it seems to help others in several ways. At first I thought it was mainly about ego as well, but now I see it differently. I think that's what this is all about. Learning new ways to look at things and new ways to do things. Also, there was not a lot of arguing in this thread, mostly good discussion. That's the way I likes it. Sometimes it may seem threads are argumentative or negative, but even if they are they can provoke a good deal of thought on either side of an issue and teach us all a thing or two.

Todd's lawncare
03-14-2005, 07:46 PM
showin off for ya

Turfdude
03-14-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree w/ Rod. For many of us, it would add at least a page to our posts. I also see the point that it puts some posts into better perspective. You have to remember w/ a large site like this, with thousands of members, that you have solo ops w/ push mowers up to multi crew and possibly even multi location lco's out there. I have a list similar to Rods on computer. I keep it up to date and fax it to my insurance company each time we make a change to it. I'm far from the largest lco on this site, but try to list 5 trucks, 5 trailers, 3 plows, 2 salt spreaders plus all of the lawn, pruning, fert and other specialty and landscape equipment and it would take up way too much space.

Eddie B
03-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm pitching in on the signature thing... now ya'll know my secrets on how I've gotten so rich. LOL

shepoutside
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I think it's a good ideal, although I don't do it. I have talked to others, that I saw had Walker's, as that's what I mainly run. I think the big stuff listed is a great ideal, but all the little stuff seems a waste. I have Salt Water Aquariums, and in those forums, is nice to see who has a reef tank, vs a Fowler etc. Is nice to see the people posting replies, that actually have the stuff they say they are experts on. :cool:

SOMM
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
lawnguy-
good thread !

post #25 at this thread is how we feel about it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=98383&page=3&pp=10

65hoss
03-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Personally I don't care, because I rarely look at that. I think its more ego than anything. Only time I look is when someone is giving advice about something they apparently know nothing about and then you see they have one 36" w/b and just started last month. I could care less what people do, but the one thing that makes me laugh is the guys that put every single thing they own on the list. 3 shovels, 1 rake, 1 3/4" wrench, 1 hammer, 2 screwdrivers, etc. You get the point.

GreenMonster
03-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Personally I don't care, because I rarely look at that. I think its more ego than anything. Only time I look is when someone is giving advice about something they apparently know nothing about and then you see they have one 36" w/b and just started last month. I could care less what people do, but the one thing that makes me laugh is the guys that put every single thing they own on the list. 3 shovels, 1 rake, 1 3/4" wrench, 1 hammer, 2 screwdrivers, etc. You get the point.

That reminds me! I just got a pneaumatic grease gun! Plus, I broke my Stanley razor knife this weekend.

Time to update my sig!

ProMo
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
I broke my rake today so unless the duct tape works im getting a new tool

John Gamba
03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
The next mower i get it will have a name on it so i can put something down like all of you :cool2:
John

Garth
03-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Listing equipment doesn't bother me though I, myself, won't do it. The thing that I believe is as irritating as a beach sand enema is when people list their license NUMBERS. If that's not asking for trouble, I don't know what is. Someone gets a hold of that number and they know everything about you including who to blame if they get caught doing something stupid. Needless to say, I'd rather run naked through a lumber camp than list MY license numbers on the WORLD WIDE WEB.-Garth

all ferris
03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I think it becomes an ego thing when they start posting pictures of equipment. It doesn't bother me and its nice to see other peoples stuff but I even though my equipment is the best (not even close :p ) I don't want to brag by showing staged pics of all my equipment.

BTW- My equipment is for work and it stays dirty and not so pretty for the most part. As long as the lawn looks good when I'm done I could careless what the mower looks like.

all ferris
03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
And no pics of my lovely wife's equipment :D