PDA

View Full Version : Hourly rate vs fixed rate

1BadHawk
03-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Just wondering if you all charge hourly for most of your labor services and if so does that hourly rate vary depending onthe service ie: mowing vs cleanup vs fertilizations? or do you charge a fixed rate for optional services.
ie:
shrub trimming xx.xx/hourly vs xx.xx/per shrub

theturfsurfer
03-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I have a fixed charge for the usual stuff, mowing, fertilizing, clean-ups but for other stuff that I am unsure how long it will take I charge an hourly price with a minimum I think this is the fairest way for both the customer and myself.

MarcSmith
03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
I charged a basic hourly rate, equipment gets charged at a different rate, and any products used are also charged at cost + x%

so If someone wanted a cleanup it was X per man hour, plus X per hour for chain-saw, ect....

Fert and Chem Aps were based on Sqft plus chem costs...

Aaron Marshall
03-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Charging on a fixed rate for mowing is better, but if you don't have enough experience on bidding, you could really screw yourself in the end. I charge hourly for spring/fall clean-ups becasue I haven't got the estimating down for that yet. Hope that helps.
Aaron

westwind
03-14-2005, 08:55 AM
I have a fixed charge for the usual stuff, mowing, fertilizing, clean-ups but for other stuff that I am unsure how long it will take I charge an hourly price with a minimum I think this is the fairest way for both the customer and myself.
This is also how we bid "other" services. Good luck!

walker-talker
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Mowing has a fixed rate based on what the estimate length of time it will take to finish the job. I actually estimate how many minutes I think it will take and take that times what I need to charge per minute.

Other jobs are purely done on time. An estimate range in price is given, but the final bill is decided on how long it takes. An example is leaf removal.

A few jobs like chem apps, aeration and overseeding are done by square footage.

Although different methods are used for calculating price, time is always a factor.

Lorge
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I try to base the price of my jobs by a fixed rate that is based on how long I think the job will take, so it's actually hourly. But if I tell customers that the job will be $40/man hour, some of them would wet their drawers and I wouldn't have as much work.

Mo Green
03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Time is money.

LB1234
03-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Most jobs I try and bid a fixed rate (mulch, clean-ups, shrub removal, pruning, trimming, etc.)

However, some commercial places I'm finding want an hourly wage associated with certain tasks. An hourly rate on someone with a shovel in there hand is going to be less than someone operating a pole saw. In general, the more expensive the equipment, the more of an hourly wage I will warrant.