PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 48" Pro G

eatonpcat
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Last week I pretty much decided on buying a Scag 48" wb, But this weekend I saw a Gravely 48" GEar Drive (15 HP Kaw) that I really liked. The deck adjusment seems really simple. Any of you guys run Gravely?

dwost
03-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I'm a homeowner and have been using mine since 2002. I absolutly love it. I know there are several on here running the same unit commercially and have been very satisfied. I will say I'd rather have a hydro due to their many benefits, however, for my needs this is more than enough. If you do a search on my username you will see many posts about this unit. I did a ton of research and you can't beat the $ to performance ratio when you look at what the Gravely comes with. I'd also make sure you have good dealer support as with any purchase no matter what brand it is, this is key. Feel free to IM me if you have any specific questions as I'm pretty familiar with the unit.

eatonpcat
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
dwost, How much property are you mowing (I'm also only using on my land), I have about 10 acres but only mow 3.5. The dealer seems upfront, but I have no references concerning dealer support. Thanks for the info.

ensor
03-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I a homeowner and also have this mower and agree with dwost that it is a great machine. It is heavy duty and well designed (what I mean is that everything works as it should, unlike another prominent mower brand that I owned and returned 2 to the dealer). The height adjustment is great. Tell us more about your 3.5 acres. Is the ground smooth or rough? Are there many obstacles? Will you need to back up much? Are you considering a rider or sulky for the walkbehind. If not, you will get some good exercise which is great if you're up to it. I am guessing that the 3.5 acres will take you 1-2 hours depending on how fast you go and obstacles that will slow you down.

dwost
03-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Currently I'm mowing about and acre or so. We will be moving at some point and I'm hoping to get a large piece of property that will warrant a Z. Ensor is right on with his assessment as well. Depending on your situation and the land you are mowing it may be wise to look at the Pro-H. You will pay a bit more but the hydro is much smoother. I rarely have to back up so the belt works just fine. There are a few updates that you will need to make to the machine but those are very simple and I can help you out if need be.

eatonpcat
03-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Ensor & Dwost, My property for the most part is rough (except the area right around the house where I planted new grass), almost all level as it was previously farm land, not too many obstacles (just some trees and landscaping). I shouldn't have to backup much, although I won't know until I try a new mower.

spcfoor
03-14-2005, 12:10 PM
I have the pro-g 36" wb. I love it. It saves so much time on the lager properties. I have a one wheeled sulky that I stand on and the 13 hp motor does fine with me on it(5'8", 215). I have never used or demoed a scag so I cant comment on the quailty of the machine. But I really like the gravely line of products. I also have an ariens 21" that I started out my business with 3 yrs ago. Still runs like a champ and cut great. The 36" cuts really well with the stock blades provided you keep them sharp. I have gone with the gator blades for a finer clipings.

ensor
03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
If your ground is rough/bumpy this will slow you down some. The Gravely is well built but too much bouncing around will take its toll on any mower in addition to necessitating a slower pace. If it is too rough, scalping could also be an issue. A finish mower on a tractor might be something to consider if the ground is very bumpy. Unless you have areas where you hit a dead end you should not have to do much if any backing up and this mower will spin around especially if you fully brake the inside wheel (may take a grass divot though). Will the dealer let you demo on your property? This would give you a good feel for how it would handle your conditions and you would also see how it operates in general.

dwost - you sound a lot like me. I have already put my wife on notice that a rider Z is in our future - when I retire and move.

eatonpcat
03-14-2005, 12:44 PM
The finish mower on a Tracor is a good idea, But the wife factor comes into play (I've tried this option). She doesn't like the tracks it leaves at the ends of the yard.

ensor
03-14-2005, 01:01 PM
I understand the wife factor. If the ground is too rough the caster wheels on the front of the mower, that are not too big in diameter, will lead to a lot of shaking/bouncing of the mower. Demo first on your property if you can.

dwost
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Ensor, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is huge. I was actually eying a Z at first but once she caught wind of the price that plan was squashed :) I have been more than satisfied with my purchase. This mower is fantastic for my purposes and the Z will happen at the next place. In reality I don't think you will go wrong with anything commercial that you select. Even if you are bouncing it around more than usual, we are not putting the hours on the machines like a full commercial cutter. The mower should last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I've used mine heavily (cut 3-4 times a week) for a homeowner and I have 118 hours on it and this will be my 4th season with it!! The build quality of the Gravely is tough to beat for the price. The thing that got me was a 7ga fabricated deck. Not just the sides but the top plate as well. It is built like a tank. Good luck and keep us posted.
Don

eatonpcat
03-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks, I will certainly consider the Gravely and let you know (i.e. look for your help if something goes wrong).

Dig-it Landscaping
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
i have a gravely 48" with a 15 kaw. it is for sale. only 90 hours. if you are interested PM me.