PDA

View Full Version : Redwing Work Boots

Blink74
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Every year I buy a pair of work boots. I try to buy the lightest, waterproof, noninsulated boots I can find. I've bought Wolverines and last year spent $115 on a pair of Lacrosse's best boots. None of them have lasted longer than 1 season. This year I'm considering getting a pair of Redwings. My partner says they are the most comfortable, will last much longer and are well worth the money. However, they are $150. I don't have a problem spending that as long as they out last cheaper boots. Has anyone had any experience with Redwings? How did they hold up?

Travis Followell
03-14-2005, 10:40 AM
All I wear is Red Wings. they are the best and most comfortable boots made. The pair that i'm wearing now is 2 years old and they are good as new. They are only about $110 around here but they are definately worth $150.

superbee
03-14-2005, 10:45 AM
I bought a pair of Red Wing steel toes last August for $160.00. Great boots but It took awhile to break them in. These are made in the USA. I looked at a pair of Hi Test boots. They were about $40.00 cheaper but made in China. The workmanship wasn't nearly as good. You get what you pay for.

Axl
03-14-2005, 10:45 AM
I used to wear wolverine until I just recently tried a new brand. They are Magnums, I bought them as work boots and have been wearing them as shoes because they are almost as comfortable as my nikes and they are the best looking work boots I have ever seen. I get lots of compliments from friends on the style. They make 2 verions steel toe and non. I bought the non and they were $99. Bought them from Harrys

Runner
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
I may end up trying a pair of RedWings this year, as Wolverines are getting a little tougher to find around here. I have a question for those that have had both...Are the RedWings every bit as soft in the sole as the Wolverines are? - Because, as far as I know, the Wolverines are BY FAR the softest most cushiony boots to walk in. It's just like walking on pillows. I've came across some boots that were close, but still not as soft....especially compared to weight ratio.

eshreve1234
03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I wear Redwings. This is another thing that goes back to the dealer support you read about here. The store I bought them from will shine/clean them whenever I want for free,restitch the seams for free, replace the inserts, new laces, and if the sole wears out that is replaced for free also. I have two pairs, one winter and one summer by far the best boots i have owned. I have tried Cats, Wolverine, and some generic brand. My dad wears the Worx boots by Redwings, and also likes those.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Many Red Wings can have the soles replaced after they wear out (maybe $40-60? not sure), so figure that into the replacement cost too. A guy I work with told me he has a pair that's 16 years old that's on its 5th set of soles. Also, insulation works both ways, so just because they're insulated doesn't mean your feet are going to be hot. I mean, people don't take the insulation out of their houses in the summer, right? I went to the local Red Wing store last Monday and looked at the 1206 model. Gore-Tex, Thinsulate, and the soles can be replaced. I didn't buy them b/c I want to look around a little more yet, but they look like the best ones for me from what I've seen so far. I think they were $145-50.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=1206

MMLawn
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I've personally never had any issue with Wolverines and love them, but you might want to look at Georgia Boots also as they make a really good boot.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Eshreve, they replace the soles for FREE where you bought yours? I've never heard that before. I'll e-mail you to find out where your dealer is, you're not too far from me I'll gladly buy from him if that's the case.

wannabee
03-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I wear a pair of the similar to the style 1906, i've had them for about 10 years , but have only worn them full time for 3 years now . they are the best boots i have ever owned, as for the cushion, there's not much . my opinion , well worth the $

lawncare3
03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Redwings are THE BEST. I have had my pair since august. They are a little worn but still in perfect working order. I think they were like $210. Great boot IMHO

Axl
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Check out www.magnumboots.com Look at the Phantom series, these boots have a 60-day comfort guarantee so you can basically tey them for 60 days and if you dont like them take them back.

I have tried the wolverines and switched onced I tried these, plus they were only $100. Waterproof, lightweight, etc.

cutrite
03-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I've tried almost all except redwings. I bought a pair of Brownings last year for about 60$, best boot I've worn. The soles are still in good shape,they are non insulated.I worked for a fence company so I was on pavement alot so for the soles to still be in good shape is impressive. I use to buy wolverine 600 grams but they turned to bologne skins within 6 months.Lacrosse came apart at the seams.Rocky's soles came apart in 7 months. :realmad:

Green-Pro
03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
The C Man Eshreve, they replace the soles for FREE where you bought yours?

Shouldn't matter who you buy red wings from they (at least mine did) come with a clear part at the bottom (maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch) of the sole, if that clear part wears through within a year they will replace the sole free of charge.

I buy nothing but red wings, IMO best boot out there for the money, I would not recommend buying them without the steel toe though if they will be work boots. I clean and apply mink oil to mine every now and again and they last forever. I went through three soles on one pair before they finally gave out in the stitching around the top of the ankle. I have one old pair now for working in and just bought a new pair I try and keep nice for presentations to prospective clients.

Go Red wing you will not be sorry

-Geoff

The C Man
03-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Shouldn't matter who you buy red wings from they come with a clear part at the bottom (maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch) of the sole, if that clear part wears through within a year they will replace the sole free of charge.
Ok, that part I know, but I meant when the sole is completely worn out. On many of their boots you can have them completely resoled, but I've always understood that it cost somewhere between $40-60.

Green-Pro
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Ok, that part I know, but I meant when the sole is completely worn out. On many of their boots you can have them completely resoled, but I've always understood that it cost somewhere between $40-60.

The times I had mine resoled out of pocket cost me around the $35 - $50 range I believe. When you look at the cost of the new RW boot at $135 or $150 resoled is an inexpensive way to go. You don't throw the whole truck away just because it needs new tires, so it goes with quality boots. A new sole lasts a good long time.

-Geoff

Appalachian landscape
03-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I usually only buy wolverine boots, but I bought a pair of Dunham boots last spring because of the tread. They call them waffle stompers and they have THE BEST soles. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/471443/c/6.html there is one style of them in the link. check out the tread on these bad boys. They hold so well on hillsides :D

KathysLGC
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I just got these http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4596617/c/22042.html. I was impressed with the build quality but I wasn't too please with the leather. It seems too soft. It feels as if I'll tear these up quick. I thought about RW but I really liked the style of these Tims. If they don't hold up I'll try RW.

lawncare3
03-14-2005, 04:14 PM

If the sole completly wears out within 6 months you get a new pair of boots free. And as greenpro said within 1 year you get a free sole replacement.

rbeitz
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow these look really comfortable (NOT).....and the price is right too...LOL

http://www.usa.aldi.com/special_purchases_02/product_134.html

grassyfras
03-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Red Wings here

Creative Lawn Care
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
For 7 years I have been wearing redwings. Last year I made the mistake of buying Wolverines. The first landscaping job I did, I wore almost completely through the outside of the sole with the shovel digging. I have been wearing them since with the sole now cracked completely open, yes water comes in, socks get wet, the laces have been replaced 2 times, and the insoles even have holes in them. I just bought these in July!! Needless to say I will be going back to REDWINGS next week. Maybe my expiriance is rare I dont know. But I paid $120 for the wolverines and only paid $150 for the redwings and I can get at least 2 seasons out of the redwings.

Blink74
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, I went and got a pair of these http://www.redwingshoe.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=8681 . I didn't want to spend $150, but, as soon as I put them on I was sold. I've had many boots and these are by far he most comfortable. They feel almost like a tennis shoe. They can't be resoled but the guy at the store assured me that they would hold up well. They are actually a hiking boot. I like them better than the true work boots because they are lighter and more comfy. If they last two seasons I'll be happy.

I liked the wolverines when they were new, but, they just didn't hold up well. Seemed like they would strech and my feet would be slopping around in them. Also, the soles would separate and they would begin leaking at the seems before the season was over.

Equipguy
03-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Redwings are wonderful. And the customer service is outstanding.

KINGjosh
03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
So all in all, what is the most comfortable model of redwings

Turfdude
03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Maybe this will help. I always used to purchase wolverine leather workboots 8". They're uppers are a very soft pigskin material and require zero break in time. I had worn timberlands prior to that. The tims were a lot rougher on the feet and didn't hold up as well. The wolverines are definately a better boot, but I would kill a pair in 6-8 months. The soles were only glued on and would always separate at the flex point on the inside of the boot (by the flex point of the big toe). Last year I went w/ Redwing 980's. An uninsulated 8" dark brown workboot w/ a black sole. Very comfortable and very durable. Cost $110 compared to wolverines at $80, but lasted 15 months. I can no longer find them by me and redwing doesn't allow internet sales. I am going to call them direct or e-mail to find a store near me that has them. Definately a good boot for the $$.

all ferris
03-14-2005, 10:01 PM
How can you guys stand to wear heavy boots in the heat of the summer? I do own a pair of redwings and they are nice but they would make my feet melt off in the summer. My shoe of preference is merrell. It's kinda like a tennis shoe but it has a viabrim sole and they are gore tex. So I can walk around comfortably all day long with dry feet.

mowerman90
03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Do any of you that have Redwings have the moldable insoles? A friend of mine told me that he bought a pair of RW's and got these special insoles with them. He said that he had to put them into his kitchen oven to heat them
to soften them, then put them into the shoes and stand on them for a few minutes. Then they molded themselves around his foot, making them custom fit. He raved about them being the most comfortable shoes he'd ever worn. He even wore them after work instead of tennis shoes. Said they were super expensive but worth every penny.

WildLake
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
How can you guys stand to wear heavy boots in the heat of the summer? I do own a pair of redwings and they are nice but they would make my feet melt off in the summer. My shoe of preference is merrell. It's kinda like a tennis shoe but it has a viabrim sole and they are gore tex. So I can walk around comfortably all day long with dry feet.

I'm with you. As soon as the temp gets out of the 60's, my feet cant take work boots. They're just too hot and it drives me crazy.

The C Man
03-14-2005, 10:43 PM
So all in all, what is the most comfortable model of redwings
That's gonna be a very subjective thing, plus they have a a zillion different models.

out4now
03-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I used to wear Wolverines prior to Red Wings. I generally got twice the wear out of Red Wings. Even though they aren't cheap, they're worth it.

Blink74
03-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I buy unisulated hiking boots because they are typically much lighter than full-on work boots and cooler. The Redwings I bought are about 3 lbs as opposed to 5 lbs for a pair of their work boots.

lawnprosteveo
03-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I've tried them all (Rocky, Wolverine, Timberland, etc...) and so far Justin Boots has been my favorite. I havent tried Red Wings...but alot of people so theyre pretty good.

chuckers
03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
2412 is my Redwing work boot I swear by them and the I have boots for around the farm Justins are awesome for that