PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Northern Landscapers!!

polecat63
03-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi all, got a call from a client that I installed a row of arborvitae for last year. Seem the tips have turned brown. I've noticed many of the evergreen in this area have the same problem and I'm hoping it was just our unusually cold/long winter. The temp here were 15-20 degrees below normal for much of the winter, the coldest winter here in probably 15 years or so. Is this a problem any of you are familiar with or will I be replacing some trees?

old dog
03-14-2005, 05:44 PM
How close to salt air?Did you have a lot of easterlie wind this season?Yes abnormally cold
can brown evergreens.They normally grow out of it,but it bears watching closely.

NEUSWEDE
03-14-2005, 08:10 PM
After you wrote that I went and checked out some I planted in September and they were fine no browning and they are somewaht in the open about 1000 feet from the ocean. I am in Maine figured you could use this as reference.

polecat63
03-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks. They're two block off the oceans, but behind the building away from the worst of the wind. I've noticed other evergreens with yellowing all over town, so I hope it's just a little stress from lower than normal temp. Also, this is a restaurant and around it's parking lot. I'm going to check the site tomorrow to see if the damage could be from vehicles bumping into them. Just odd that all of them are exibiting the same symptoms, that's why I was checking to see if it might be the cold.

Gilla Gorilla
03-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Polecat

I planted 31 Green Giant Arbs back in the beginning of December at a customers house. They are on top of a berm about 5ft high and all of them have a little browning on some of the branches. This area has a ton of winds all throught the winter and I just figured that it was due to the constant winds and cold temps. I hope I'm correct. LOL

polecat63
03-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Me too!!! :D

TURFLORD
03-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Did they get enough water last year? Did the plow truck pack snow against them? Did ice melter get dumped on them? It's probably just frost damage, but look for "mechanical" factors. Go and check the buds. If they're still healthy you'll be O.K.

gil
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
that is most likely "Tip blight". you should remove the dead area to prevent infestation to the whole tree. I don't think it's winter damage because the whole branch will be dead. If it's only the tips I am almost sure it is tip blight. I hope this helps.
gil

Sir Mow-A-Lot
03-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Are you responsible to replace them if they croak?

gil
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't think he is going to be responsible. as he said that symptom is all over his area. I would cut those tips, charging of course.

old dog
03-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks. They're two block off the oceans, but behind the building away from the worst of the wind. I've noticed other evergreens with yellowing all over town, so I hope it's just a little stress from lower than normal temp. Also, this is a restaurant and around it's parking lot. I'm going to check the site tomorrow to see if the damage could be from vehicles bumping into them. Just odd that all of them are exibiting the same symptoms, that's why I was checking to see if it might be the cold.
Did you have enough snow in the area and was salt used?Rock salt can wreak
havoc on some plants!Winter desication (drying out in cold weather when
plant is too frozen to replenish water) can cause similar damage.Clip some and send or take it to a co-op extension office!

gil
03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
If that it's true the whole tree would show simptoms and not only the tips.
That's what I think.

polecat63
03-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Went and checked them out yesterday and it's a good one. They are slightly yellow just like most other evergreens in the area, but that wasn't the problem. It's in a parking lot and salt wasn't an issue (other that that being blown off the ocean). No snow piled up against them or any of the other great suggestions. Are you ready? They had installed spot lights at the base of each tree. Not low voltage lighting, bot spotlights within about 18" of the trees. They were slowly cooking the trees! They had called me expecting me to replace them 'cause they were dying. First I told them to stop cooking the trees, and second I refereed them to their contract which (in so many words) stipulates that client stupidity is not covered in their guarantee.

gil
03-16-2005, 07:27 AM
That's right. Many people think plants and trees live for ever. they do get diseases and we damage them in so many ways. Glad you found a reason for those browning tips.
do you think the roots can be damaged because of the spot lights?
There is one product call SUPERthrive that literally revives shrubs and trees with as little as green under the bark. Check it out, it might be worth a try.
good luck,
G

old dog
03-16-2005, 08:51 PM
If that it's true the whole tree would show simptoms and not only the tips.
That's what I think.
In less severe cases the branch tips may be the only thing affected by
winter desication>But I guess you might call the problem spotlight desication!

gil
03-16-2005, 09:17 PM
yeah, spotlight desication :D
i am glad he found the source.